Mark Bunn

villan_007

When I wrote that, It had completely gone out of my mind that he was last at Norwich (if it had even registered in the first place). For some reason I was thinking we signed him from Northampton or somewhere like that. Looks like he's here as second choice then, from the sounds of it he did a good job when Ruddy was injured, so should be fine. But if it's true that we bid for Begovic then maybe there's still a possibility of Guzan being replaced.

Decent backup.

Can't see him pushing Guzan though. Guzan is way better.

So another year of Guzan coasting as he knows he's No1.

Yeah, only difference this time is if Guzan dips Sherwood has shown he isn't afraid to drop him whereas Lambert never considered it.

Bunn will play cups I'd imagine, no real idea what sort of standard he is but I do remember him playing for Blackburn and making an amazing save at the Kop wierdly enough if anyone can find a GIF/Youtube video of it?

What I don't understand is this acceptance to sign someone a bit shit just because he is going to be back up.

Sure, you won't sign many top goalkeepers by saying, btw you're going to be 2nd 3rd choice but bring someone in and say I want you to become our number 1 and let 2/3 decent gk earn their money.

Courtois went to Chelsea with no intention of being number 2. Mark bunn probably can't believe his luck.

A few years ago even the top clubs had rubbish as back up....remember when Cech got injured and Chelsea had to play Ross Turnbull and Hilario in the champions league.

Brad Jones is rubbish and is Liverpool number 2.

Only one player can start in this position so guess it comes down to most clubs, why pay a virtual reserve 40-50k a year for a few cup games like we did with Given when you can get someone younger or older to do that job for significantly less.

I honestly think the standard of keeping in the prem has never been higher so you even get excellent number twos around now like Vorm at Spurs who was good at Swansea.

I'm a little disappointed we haven't signed someone who can push Guzan a bit more I have to admit, a sort of long term number one like say when Stoke signed Jack Butland. 

Bunn certainly isn't that but has performed the number two role at Blackburn and Norwich in the prem so can be trusted for the odd game or two I'm sure.

Edited by VillaChris

What I don't understand is this acceptance to sign someone a bit shit just because he is going to be back up.

Sure, you won't sign many top goalkeepers by saying, btw you're going to be 2nd 3rd choice but bring someone in and say I want you to become our number 1 and let 2/3 decent gk earn their money.

Courtois went to Chelsea with no intention of being number 2. Mark bunn probably can't believe his luck.

yet it took him 3 years to get a game

not to mention you are probably the only person in living memory that has ever compared Courtois and Mark Bunn

I didn't compare Courtois and mark bunn. If I was comparing anything it was chelsea/villas attitude in creating a winning team, albeit they have money to help. Pretty sure there is a gk as good as Guzan out there that we can afford/attract.

But we don't need to. That's the point.

There's no need to spend money on replacing Guzan when he doesn't need replacing. I don't imagine we have loads of money to spend, and we have a lot of players to buy. No point in wasting up to £10m buying a new goalkeeper when guzan is perfectly fine for where we are.

Spend some money there next summer if we've pushed on.

not to mention you are probably the only person in living memory that has ever compared Courtois and Mark Bunn

I didn't compare Courtois and mark bunn. If I was comparing anything it was chelsea/villas attitude in creating a winning team, albeit they have money to help. Pretty sure there is a gk as good as Guzan out there that we can afford/attract.

There's no need to spend money on replacing Guzan when he doesn't need replacing. I don't imagine we have loads of money to spend, and we have a lot of players to buy. No point in wasting up to £10m buying a new goalkeeper when guzan is perfectly fine for where we are.

No point strengthening a position if you can then?

Begovic is much better than Guzan.

Ah come on, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

No point strengthening a position if you can then?

Begovic is much better than Guzan.

That's not really what I said.

There's no point in strengthening the position if it costs you £10m and you need to buy 5 or 6 other players in positions that are more of a priority and you don't have much money.

I wouldn't be against replacing Guzan with a better keeper if we had loads of money. But I'm assuming that we don't.

That £10m could buy a very good fullback, for example. Or a back up to Benteke (or whoever replaces Benteke if we sell him), or a new midfielder, or a replacement for N'Zogbia etc etc

Basically, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I'll ignore the Begovic vs Guzan comparison, even though I disagree with it, as it's not really relevant to the point I'm making.

Edited by Stevo985

Who says he's a bit shit?

Who says he's a bit shit?

I don't really understand the point anyway.

If we bought Charlie Austin or, I dunno, Bafetimbi Gomis to be back up to Benteke nobody would care, even though either of them isn't as good as Benteke.

Sometimes you buy players who aren't as good as your first choice to be a backup.

• Like 1

The point is that I don't think Guzan is good enough. Half of that problem is that he has no competition.

Steveo- do all good gk cost 10m?

Doug - he's a bit shit because he could barely get a game for Blackburn or Norwich.

Â