Charleston

omariqy

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere. I saw a fox news debate where someone was saying if one of them had a gun 9 people wouldn't have died. Another one was to ban guns to stop gun crime would be like banning forks to stop obesity.

The US will never solve it's gun problem. The genie had been out of the bottle since it's foundation as a state and it's impossible to out it back in.

What it therefore needs to do, and this is no easy answer either, is tackle why it's people seem quite so keen to blow each other away.

vnUKLmS.png

In this particular case... Most likely maladjusted youth with identity issue latches onto false narrative to justify his existence with a crusade, gains identity to right thinking folk of cruel murderous word removed as a result.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

I'm not sure anything can be done about the number of guns in the USA. They are already out there and it's safe to assume that no combination of events will lead to a 100% hand in and destruction of all the guns.

The best real world hope is that people's anger and neurosis and blood lust is managed down to a statistically insignificant number.

Such a shame that what should be the best place on earth to be alive has this running open sore.

I've lived here 16 years and never seen or heard of a gun crime first hand.

I guess that's bound to be the case. It's a big diverse place so there will be all sorts of everything from pockets of heaven to pockets of hell and random acts of good and bad.

It's not all KKK lynchings, and it's not all apple pie either. 

I've lived here 16 years and never seen or heard of a gun crime first hand.

I guess that's bound to be the case. It's a big diverse place so there will be all sorts of everything from pockets of heaven to pockets of hell and random acts of good and bad.

It's not all KKK lynchings, and it's not all apple pie either.

Very true.

I cannot believe anyone who would want to ban guns in States, and I will give one reason for it; Bad guys ALWAYS have guns. Let's imagine Somebody massacred by Breivik in Norway had a gun, or that the Batman Premiere victims had a gun... maybe, just maybe, there would have been more survivors.

Such horrible, disgusting things happen all over the world, do you think that the shooter in this horrible crime would have just handed his gun in when asked to? 

You can't ban guns in a country where there are 250-300 million guns already in circulation.  It would be like closing the stable door 250 years after the horse has bolted. 

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with American people it's just that when the red mist is there or someone loses it mentally the chances are they will have a gun to hand.

If they were readily available here I imagine these type of mass shootings would be just as common as they are in the states, if not more frequent.

The solution to stopping these shootings is 100% not to have more guns in all situations, that will just encourage more shootings as more people will have one to hand in moments of weakness and the cycle just keeps on rolling.

Thank god it's not our problem is my main thought on the matter.

• Like 1

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere. I saw a fox news debate where someone was saying if one of them had a gun 9 people wouldn't have died.

They may well have been right - there may have been a few more!

I cannot believe anyone who would want to ban guns in States, and I will give one reason for it; Bad guys ALWAYS have guns. Let's imagine Somebody massacred by Breivik in Norway had a gun, or that the Batman Premiere victims had a gun... maybe, just maybe, there would have been more survivors.

Such horrible, disgusting things happen all over the world, do you think that the shooter in this horrible crime would have just handed his gun in when asked to? 

Such a bizarre conclusion to draw. Yes, what could possibly go wrong if in a dark room dozens of people reach for firearms and starting firing them blindly? I'm totally sure that the killer would have been taken out with a clean headshot and there would have been absolutely nobody caught in the crossfire or misidentified as the shooter and gunned down. 

It really, genuinely is common sense that less access to guns, and especially less access to gun culture = less people dying at the hands of a gun. This isn't one of those situations where everyone thinks one thing, but counter-intuitively the truth is the exact opposite. Arming more people leads to more people being shot. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Do you think criminals don't have guns in the UK?

I think that is a bit different,  yes they do have guns but how many 1000 bullets are fired a day in the UK.

Criminals use them as a forcer (As in give me the money,  Don't mess with that bloke / gang / area as they have a gun,  Drug deal insurance) and the like.

It's not comparable IMO.  

It says a lot about a society though,  how insecure are Americans ? Can't fight properly and just look like losers crying that people have died in a society and environment that each and everyone of them thinks is the best and all have in some way helped to create,  they must be so proud.

If I had a fight in my youth and turned up with a weapon people would just laugh and take the piss out of me and rightly so.

If there are 350 Million guns then there is no hope for them and they are probably closer to civil war than the utopian society they think they live in and describe as the "American Dream".

In their defence it is a relatively new country and maybe we should just leave them to it.  As with the middle east,  a lot of them believe in God also,  that in itself sets of alarms.

Possibly not the most sensitive statement when 9 black people in a prayer meeting in a 199 year old church have been murdered by a white guy who according to witnesses targeted them specifically for race not religion.

I'd also suggest lumping all 320 million americans into one homogenous failed group is a bit glib. 

Other countries have easy access to guns but the death by gun statistics are incredibly low compared to the states, Canada being the main example.

It's about attitudes, mentality and social culture which makes using guns such a throw-away, easy thing to do in the states.

I've been to a couple of places in the US (Vegas, Chicago & NYC (Also Toronto)) and I never felt unsafe, I never saw a gun outside of a shooting range I went to in Vegas and I never even thought about guns - unless they were a visible side-arm of a police officer.

I think the only thing you could try and do is to say that it is illegal to hold firearms on personal property, you must be enforced to keep guns in some sort of self storage locker.  That way, when the red mist comes down, you can only beat someone to death rather than shooting them.

Seems fair to me.

Possibly not the most sensitive statement when 9 black people in a prayer meeting in a 199 year old church have been murdered by a white guy who according to witnesses targeted them specifically for race not religion.

I'd also suggest lumping all 320 million americans into one homogenous failed group is a bit glib. 

Ok, it was a bit OTT I admit but,  try and take their guns of them and the child like beavhoir of the Majority tells its own story I think.  The religious aspect is just to show how clueless they are,  heard a pastor from Charleston,

on the radio this morning,  "This is god's will and we have to accept it".  So a lot of them believe in God and don't look at this like a race issue but God's will,  again not the most sensitive statement considering what has happened but blaming God kind of sends shivers up my spine.

If he can blame something that does not exist then I can right what I think surley,  they don't care about the dead either,  if they did they would get a grip and sort it out.

Â