Dean Saunders

Pongotastic

One of my favourite Villa players of all time.

However, how does he keep getting work in management? He's just suffered his third relegation (Doncaster, Wolves and Crawley) and now has just been unveiled as the new Chesterfield boss.

• 2 years later...

That's not how you play the game, that's embarrassing.
What you should do when the ball goes out of play is put your hand on your hips, stroll over to the ball boy,  retrieve said ball, wipe it on yor shirt once, twice, three times. Look forward, look back, motion to throw the ball, stop, look forward again, look back, motion to throw the ball. Take the ball from behind your head in one hand, put your other arm out the side in a "come on ffs" motion, put the ball behind your head again, weight up your options, lose any will to actually retain possession, just chuck the **** thing, run back towards your own box, occasionally turning to the side, screaming at everyone else and flapping your arms.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 4

Here's a picture of him this morning with a life size remote control cave troll

Apparently he picked up the tv remote this morning instead of his phone but 99% of what he says is absolute shite and he genuinely seems like a complete & utter clueless f**kwit who doesn't shut up.

Still he has a few interesting stories i guess, maybe 2 or 3 of them are even true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

That's not how you play the game, that's embarrassing.
What you should do when the ball goes out of play is put your hand on your hips, stroll over to the ball boy,  retrieve said ball, wipe it on yor shirt once, twice, three times. Look forward, look back, motion to throw the ball, stop, look forward again, look back, motion to throw the ball. Take the ball from behind your head in one hand, put your other arm out the side in a "come on ffs" motion, put the ball behind your head again, weight up your options, lose any will to actually retain possession, just chuck the **** thing, run back towards your own box, occasionally turning to the side, screaming at everyone else and flapping your arms.

What an absolutely spot on account of the modern day throw. There could be another stage to that, about two thirds into your description and that's to underarm throw it to a replacement throw in taker who then repeats the process. 

Annoying when after what Rodgers says, it mostly all ends up intercepted anyway. 

Deano's one a rarity. 

I listen to Talksport a lot, but in relation to Deano being on, I have to say, his being on there has had me a couple of times thinking Dean, you're wrong, shut up. Particularly for example half way through the season one morning despite Zlatan being on form he was saying something like 'no, Jose should be playing Rashford, I'd pick Rashford over Zlatan any day' or something like that. Sure, United should play their young guns and bed then in more but at that time and whilst Zlatan was banging them in, he was seriously saying they should drop Zlatan. Proper cringeworthy. 

Some times though he has been quite funny. 

As for the man himself I used to love Deano and had the stringy neck shirt with Saunders 9 on was proud of that shirt. Parents still probably got that in the loft. Him and Dalian those were the days. 

God what has happened to Alan Brazil. Yes Deano is one of my all time favourite Villa player.  He instantly improved us and did the same previously when at Derby. Suarez without the baggage. 

Brilliant player.

Awful with a mic in front of him. Anyone remember the cup match last year he was on commentary for and just started talking about absolute bollocks? I didn't even realise it was him at first.

• Like 1

Never spoke to the bloke but little things in his appearances on TV makes me think the bloke has a massive ego he is trying to hide. I really don't like the guy. He was on soccer AM doing one of those Jimmy Bullard challenge things, he tried to play it off but you could tell he was livid at losing :D

I remember many, many years ago before he even went into management there was an interview on the radio with someone from the FA ( I think) who was a coach to the coaches, talking about the need to develop our youngsters correctly. This always stuck in my mind as he mentioned Saunders by name.

During one session Deano put on a demonstration, picked up the ball, spun expertly and smacked the ball into the top corner. The instructor then said something along the lines of " now how would you teach kids how to do that?" Deano responded along the lines of          " What do you mean? I just showed them."

He never made it as a coach.

Edited by rodders0223

On 8/4/2017 at 15:51, LakotaDakota said:

Still he has a few interesting stories i guess, maybe 2 or 3 of them are even true.

No chance, they are, at best, loosely based on something related to something that might have happened. 

Edited by villa89

Â