Dean Saunders

Pongotastic

On 07/08/2017 at 19:23, Xela said:

Funny story but there has been claims it was embellished and/or made up

Aye, it did the rounds a year or two ago. I heard it in person at a thing in Stratford a few years ago and it brought the house down. He should have kept it to private functions as it got slammed as a complete fabrication when he decided to tell it on TS.

On 07/08/2017 at 19:23, Xela said:

Funny story but there has been claims it was embellished and/or made up

Aye, it did the rounds a year or two ago. I heard it in person at a thing in Stratford a few years ago and it brought the house down. He should have kept it to private functions as it got slammed as a complete fabrication when he decided to tell it on TS.

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

It does sound very contrived and dead men cant talk so nobody can disprove it except maybe Archie Gemmill or his agent

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It does sound very contrived and dead men cant talk so nobody can disprove it except maybe Archie Gemmill or his agent

Guardian debunk

:snip:

All rather awkward, I’m sure you will agree. “Brian liked a drink and we all know he had a situation towards the end but he wasn’t drunk that day at all,” Hill continued. “He didn’t do the things that have been said and I’ve no idea why he [Saunders] would say them.

“Brian arrived with Archie Gemmill. ‘Hello, Mr Clough,’ Saunders said. ‘Son, call me Brian,’ he replied. It was all perfectly normal. He didn’t really want to speak to an agent, that’s correct, and we were told it was going to be difficult because Saunders had already agreed a deal with Everton. ‘It won’t be difficult,’ Brian told him, ‘we’ll just offer you more money than they have.’ Then off he went up the garden to smell the lavender.

“When he’d gone, Saunders told me Everton had offered him £8,000. ‘A month?’ I asked. ‘No, a week.’ Crikey. I told Brian and his reaction was: ‘Bloody hell, that’s more than me, our Nigel and Pearcey get together.’ First of all, though, he wanted me to do something. ‘Smell this flower,’ he said, ‘it’s beautiful.’

“After half an hour Saunders said he would talk it through with his wife and went home. Then at 9pm he rang to say Liverpool had matched our offer and he would rather go there because his father used to play for them. So that’s it. Brian wasn’t drunk, and it’s not fair. There are all sorts of different Brian Clough stories – I tell some myself, but not derogatory ones, not ones like this.”

:snip:

• Like 2

Â