Let's assume...

Mic09

Now, I'm not superstitious, so I feel ok about such an assumption. Let's say we win the FA Cup.

We are currently playing some great football, have a very decent and balanced squad, a CEO that really seems to be doing his job well. A manager that can make a team play some great football, and players want to play for him. And let's assume that media are right, and once Lerner sells he demands 50 million to be spent on transfers. We will have European football.

Where would that put us on the footballing map of England? Basing it on current form, I see no reason why we couldn't do a Swansea or a Southampton? And if we do that, are we that far away from Spurs? 

My question is, if my assumptions work out as I wish them to do, can't we challange for top 6-7 within the next 2 years? Wasn't that what Fox has targeted in one of his interviews?

Please let your imagination go wild... 

Assuming we'll win the FA cup is highly over-optimistic, as well as damned bad luck, imo.

There certainly is no reason we can't "do a Swansea or a Southampton". Really it's more like those clubs are currently "doing an Aston Villa".

I'm all for the Europey League, as long as we have a stated policy from the outset of fielding the U21's and reserves, and stick to it - for the sake of our PL position.

Liverpool last year showed what can happen f you have a couple of players on fire for the whole season. Suarez and Sturridge were worth an extra 20+ points last season. So if we kept Benteke and found someone to play alongside him who could score aswell you never know. Next year I think with our current squad and Sherwood we will be looking at 50 points if we added to it could we add another 10 or so?? For me the key will be getting towards 8-10 home wins and also keeping our decent away record and from what I've seen we will be very strong at home next year because we attack all the time.

Edited by dn1982

If we win the cup ( and I cant see why not ) because we are a better away team than Arsenal then there is no reason why we cant do a Swansea.MON had us qualify for europe 3 seasons in a row, I am sure Sherwood can do as well if not better.

Would be fantastic to win the cup, and I think we have a pretty good shout for that, but Europa is poison to clubs in our current position.  So as Crackpot said - we need to go into it only playing squad and younger players to give them a bit of experience / keep them interested.  

Then, over the next 2-3 years get established as regular top 6/7 finishers (as is our rightful position), build up the finances, improve the squad and then start taking it more seriously as a route into the CL (if we're not already breaking into the current top 4 hegemony by then).

#dreaming

If we win the FA cup is there any chance that we could be denied entry to the Europa after heavy losses?

Given the way we have gone about correcting that issue I'd say no. UEFA would look upon us as model citizens.

Just saw Hull were hit with a fine last year, I'd imagine we'd face a similar sanction at worst, if any.

Don't understand the hate with the Europa League.  Would love to be playing in it regularly.

I know it's hard on fixtures but you get CL for winning it and you can go far without playing to many difficult teams. If we can win the FA Cup we can go far in the Europa!

• Like 1

Don't understand the hate with the Europa League.  Would love to be playing in it regularly.

I know it's hard on fixtures but you get CL for winning it and you can go far without playing to many difficult teams. If we can win the FA Cup we can go far in the Europa!

Even further than that, when signing potential foreign-based players, I should imagine it's quite helpful to have done "alright" in the Europa League - rather than to have fielded U21 players and got spanked by Krazonev Kiev Shakhtar 6-0.

If we'd sacrifice any competitions, I'd rather it be domestic cups than the Europa League.  We're in those every year after all, it's nothing new and exciting.

• Like 1

Hard to say what will happen when we start to lose games. O'Neill went through long barren periods without a win (usually March on), McLeish and Lambert pretty much throughout the season - if Tim can show that he can arrest the inevitable slumps that we'll have the way his predecessors couldn't we could definitely achieve this. 

We don't have anything like the squad necessary for the Europa League, and are unlikely to be able to afford to add sufficient quality to reach that level this summer, hence I hope we don't try hard. If, in the future, we qualify for it on league merit I might feel differently (although probably not). 

If we win the FA cup we have to go in the Europa handicap league. So no (unless they deliberately sack it off)

We should have been in the europa league the last 3 years.If our last two managers have not been a handicap then what is ?!

Â