The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

I see Baron Andrew Adonis has been doing his best to alienate all those Tory voting teachers by criticising them and their teaching methods during lockdown...

Turns out he's a paid consultant for an online education platform that delivers "bespoke lessons using a range of technologies", he claims he has no input to the UK side of the business...

Same old, same old

• Like 3

Labour's plan for renters is *abysmal*:

‘Woefully inadequate’: Extend rental evictions ban and give tenants at least two years to pay back arrears, Labour demands

'Labour is demanding emergency action from government to protect renters through the coronavirus pandemic by extending an eviction ban by six months and giving tenants at least two years to pay back arrears.

Describing current provisions introduced by ministers during the Covid-19 crisis as “woefully inadequate”, the party highlighted research suggesting thousands of tenants are at risk of losing their homes.

Prominent housing charity Shelter has already warned of an “onslaught” of people unable to afford their bills due to the impact of the virus on employment with many tenants with unexpectedly reduced incomes.

It claimed 1.7 million renters also believed they would lose their jobs in the next three months as a result of the pandemic, pointing to spiralling debt and urging the government to prevent “needless evictions”.

Labour’s Thangam Debbonaire, the shadow housing secretary, told The Independent: “Current protections for people renting their homes are woefully inadequate. Unless the government acts now, many thousands of tenants will be at risk of losing their homes”.'

more on link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-renters-evictions-ban-arrears-rent-labour-lockdown-a9505736.html

It shouldn't take a genius to see that this policy would a] cause many renters to become bad credit risks as they fail to pay back their debt in two years, b] cause immense hardship in the meantime, c] cause demand to be sucked out of the economy during the putative recovery because now anyone renting has to save a vast proportion of their income to pay down debt, and d] be uttlery unworkable across parts of London where rents are *already* over 50% of income.

It would literally be a better policy for the government to just pay landlords the rent as if it were payroll income. At least that wouldn't be actively recessionary.

47 minutes ago, choffer said:

Despicable behaviour from Starmer. How very dare he. 

Well the Opposition actually opposing the government is rather fanciful in recent times so I can see why it's worth a mention

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Well the Opposition actually opposing the government is rather fanciful in recent times so I can see why it's worth a mention

Makes a change from opposing themselves.

• Like 2

I see Yvette Cooper broke the whip to abstain on the immigration bill yesterday, after giving a baffling speech:

Yes I'm sure that [checks notes] Priti Patel will be looking to find 'aspects of agreement' on a 'way forward'.

• Like 1

Looking for some education...

every time labour or Starmer post on twitter, half the replies are about grooming gangs and Jimmy Savile. Mainly Starmer’s decision not to prosecute them. 

What are they on about? My assumption is it’s bollocks, but I don’t have the evidence to back it up 

Incoming 'I'm not  a labour supporter ' despite having a monopoly on 'whiny defence of everything labour ' responses

but , you are right with your assumption , it is bollocks  , he had no involvement in the decisions regarding  Saville  , he came on board after and was highly critical of the CPS

Edit  - article about Saville / Starmer here  , have to admit this made me smile

Given I'm not a Labour supporter and don't particularly like Keir Starmer 

Edited by tonyh29

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Incoming 'I'm not  a labour supporter ' despite having a monopoly on 'whiny defence of everything labour ' responses

but , you are right with your assumption , it is bollocks 

You really need to get your own material ;) 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

every time labour or Starmer post on twitter, half the replies are about grooming gangs and Jimmy Savile. Mainly Starmer’s decision not to prosecute them. 

What are they on about? My assumption is it’s bollocks, but I don’t have the evidence to back it up 

They're references to his time as DPP and some of the things he may have said which appear to be taken out of context.

A lot of it/all of it comes from the Robinson crowd and that filters through to lots of other people who are keen to believe something that confirms a bias they have - see Dorries and the other couple of Tory MPs who retweeted things a week or so ago.

There probably are questions to answer over his career as DPP as there would be over anyone who took that post not least because CPS decision-making often doesn't align with what the man/woman on the street assumes ought to happen. There may or may not be good reasons for this lack of alignment but these repliesare unlikely to ever be discussing the actual merits of each case.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

One accusation appears to be that Starmer chose not to prosecute Savile, which doesn't seem to be true. The Director of Public Prosecutions doesn't personally review every case and make a decision. A second accusation is that as leader of the organisation, he was in some sense 'responsible' for the mistaken decision not to prosecute. This accusation is stronger, and in fact Starmer issued a personal apology for departmental failures at the time.

It's perhaps also worth adding that angry conservatives can get him coming and going on this topic - other conservative media figures have blamed his new guidelines, introduced post-Savile, for the police pursuing Operation Midland (the investigation into the Westminster paedophile ring that turned out not to exist).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think even if starmer just farted for the next four years he would still win the next election.

I would say there is absolutely no chance the conservatives are winning the next election 

Edited by Demitri_C

Apparently Labour have looked into why they got horsed in the election, and they've found out.... no...wait for it... that having a rubbish leader, a bonkers Brexit non-policy and a non-credible manifesto was a bad idea.

If only someone could have let them know before the election.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â