The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Labour did not have a remain policy FFS! They had a leave deal and referendum on it policy

Labour will give the people the final say on Brexit. Within three months of coming to power, a Labour government will secure a sensible deal. And within six months, we will put that deal to a public vote alongside the option to remain. A Labour government will implement whatever the people decide.

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto-2019/the-final-say-on-brexit/

I take your earlier point that it wasn't Brexity enough for some, but it was undeniably Brexity - "we will negotiate a deal to leave"

While it's good for you to reply to my witterings, it's not just us in here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, blandy said:

Labour did not have a remain policy FFS! They had a leave deal and referendum on it policy

It was perceived - by Leave voters, who then voted Conservative - as a Remain policy (and let's get a bit real here, they aren't completely wrong, most of the shadow frontbench, including the current leader, had committed to campaigning to remain in said hypothetical referendum).

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It was perceived - by Leave voters, who then voted Conservative - as a Remain policy

Sure. And it was perceived by remain voters, as a leave policy, (and let's get a bit real here when the manifesto says in black and white "a Labour government will secure a deal" and their leader kept saying they will get a deal to leave" they weren't wrong). Hence the loss of 1 million remainer voters.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by this, but sure, we should probably stop here.

I mean it's admirable for you to "agree to disagree" and leave the "conversation", but that if others wish to join it they are welcome.

You know, perhaps I’m wide of the mark here but I always took Labours non-commitment to being leave or remain as a measured and correct position to take.

In my opinion, one of the reasons many people voted leave was because the serving govt at the time were so staunchly pushing for remain, it became a protest vote, an opportunity for perceived change.

Now I said and thought all along that a situation such as this should never have become about taking sides (although it’s seemingly become modern human nature to do so), and that Cameron et al should not have so openly declared what they thought we should all do.

What should have happened is a formal review should have taken place by experts who could then present different models of future economic growth both through leaving or remaining within the EU and then let people make an informed decisions, instead of just drawing a line in the sand and saying well if you’re on that side then you’re with the govt, if you’re on this side you want change.

So I actually thought Labour/Corbyns position on the matter was correct but all trivial now of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I mean it's admirable for you to "agree to disagree" and leave the "conversation", but that if others wish to join it they are welcome.

For the record, I'm not telling anyone else they can't participate, and don't think anything I said suggested that I was.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I agree there’s plenty of new stuff and little point in replaying the last war.

But Labour were leave, to re write them as remain is proper weird.

I'm not :head banging against a brick wall emoji:

Brexit is as much a culture war as it is an economic or sociological debate. The centre left parties in major western societies are finding themselves at a crossroads. Their traditional voter base used to be unionised workers from blue collar jobs, however in recent years their base has shifted to towards an educated urban globalist demographic.

The Brexit debate pulled the U.K. Labour Party in two different directions, between their traditional base and their new supporters.

Unfortunately they tried to ride both horses and it ripped them in two. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The centre left parties in major western societies are finding themselves at a crossroads. Their traditional voter base used to be unionised workers from blue collar jobs, however in recent years their base has shifted to towards an educated urban globalist demographic.

I don't think there are any centre left parties in most Western Societies now - the prevailing economic power has moved the needle so far right than a centre left government is dismissed as the lunatic fringe of the crazy left.

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there are any centre left parties in most Western Societies now

Where do you think there still are some? I ask because (and I'm no expert) I perceive there to be CL parties in most western countries, so just curious really.

8 hours ago, blandy said:

Ill join and agree on your stance on what  labour's strategy for brexit was.

It was a flipping mess

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Where do you think there still are some? I ask because (and I'm no expert) I perceive there to be CL parties in most western countries, so just curious really.

I think the compass has moved so far that people see centre right as centre left - it's certainly where Labour are heading.

Spain has Podemos I guess.

Actually, thinking about it we still have the Greens

There aren't many in a position where they're likely to have influence any time soon.

• Thanks 1

Â