The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Risso said:

One would have to wonder at the standard of candidates who she beat to be selected.  

That’s what happens when you turn a political party into a cult. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Risso said:

One would have to wonder at the standard of candidates who she beat to be selected.  

I know, they must have been really bad - Rees Mogg, Johnson, Gove, May, Leadsom bad, even.

40 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'm more interested to hear about these "High Standards"  they claim to have

Just now, blandy said:

I know, they must have been really bad - Rees Mogg, Johnson, Gove, May, Leadsom bad, even.

as this is the labour thread  , if you had to rank that list of names in some form of ability / competence  ( just pretend)  , where would you then put Corbyn in the list  ?

no cheating and say all of them joint last :P

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

as this is the labour thread  , if you had to rank that list of names in some form of ability / competence  ( just pretend)  , where would you then put Corbyn in the list  ?

As a candidate in terms of ability/competence (so leaving aside political views) , probably second (in a good way) - as a party leader equal last place.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

As a candidate in terms of ability/competence (so leaving aside political views) , probably second (in a good way) - as a party leader equal last place.

Gove first ?

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Gove first ?

I don't like thinking about it. Don't make me think about it again. You could make a case for that, but he's still an untrustworthy word removed. You could make a case for May just as an MP candidate, but she's horrible too. The others are just irredeemable efftards...actuallly that's not harsh enough. All of them are irredeemable efftards.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Gove and Rees-Moog are more competent than Corbyn, the rest, less so. BUT all the people on that list are more despicable than Corbyn and as you know I'm not very fond of Corbyn either

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Gove and Rees-Moog are more competent than Corbyn, the rest, less so. BUT all the people on that list are more despicable than Corbyn and as you know I'm not very fond of Corbyn either

I wouldn't say that Rees-Mogg was any more competent. Both of their talents consist of saying whatever the politically naive want to hear, and hang the real-life consequences.

Brexit made flesh, the pair of them.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I wouldn't say that Rees-Mogg was any more competent. Both of their talents consist of saying whatever the politically naive want to hear, and hang the real-life consequences.

Brexit made flesh, the pair of them.

Same could be said of Corbyn, their better competence imo is because they are actually better at getting their message across. Their policies by and large are reprehensible but that’s not what I’m talking about

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Same could be said of Corbyn, their better competence imo is because they are actually better at getting their message across. Their policies by and large are reprehensible but that’s not what I’m talking about

I know the same could be said of Corbyn - that's the point. They are equally adept at whistling for the own dogs, and their competence begins and ends there.

• Like 1

I think what you do is pick the people that broadly reflect the way you believe things should be done, those with policies that reflect your own beliefs; then you judge what's left in terms of competency.

So there's never really a question of comparing Corbyn with that list because that list are ruled out on policy if you're awake and have a heart.

I think that's where Corbyn gets the "cult" thing from - there are an awful lot of people out there representing the corporate viewpoint, but not many representing the things that people want - because of that Corbyn gets a bit of a bye.

Which is a pity, it'd be great to have Corbyn policies delivered by a slick politician, an Obama or a Trudeau - but we don't have one at the moment - I think Corbyn's effectiveness will eventually be judged in terms of how his policies start to drag British politics back toward the centre - hopefully that in itself will result in more politicians more interested in the public good than their own pockets and those of their 'real' constituents in banks and hedge funds. It'd be nice to have a list as long as the other one to judge his competence against.

• Like 1

Laura Pidcock is probably the only MP who really stands out as being the things I'd expect from an MP.  She's far too junior for anything leadership related right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing her growth.

British politics is absolutely devoid of inspirational leadership.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Laura Pidcock is probably the only MP who really stands out as being the things I'd expect from an MP.  She's far too junior for anything leadership related right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing her growth.

British politics is absolutely devoid of inspirational leadership.

I've met Laura a few times. She's a friend of a friend. You can tell just listening to her, she really means it. Not just in it for a career, she genuinely wants to help make things better.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I've met Laura a few times. She's a friend of a friend. You can tell just listening to her, she really means it. Not just in it for a career, she genuinely wants to help make things better.

That's the impression I get.

Of the more established lot, on both sides, I wonder how many of them started with altruistic ambitions and got lost along the way and how many were arseholes from the outset.

Â