Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

Yet everything Im saying is true. - Its just not right when it doesnt suit you eh?

What on earth are you on about?

What doesn't suit me and is therefore, apparently, not right?

You just seemed to post a rant about smoking - fair enough - but within the same rant started ranting about critics of the Tories and it all ended up as some sort of big mess.

Don't Tories smoke or summat? :)

p.s. Isn't Ken Clarke still on the board of BAT?

I probably should of used the word "hypocrisy", I find it hypocritical that people shout and scream about one thing but ignore something worse because it suits their habits.

I always find it amusing that people criticise the money a owner of a company earns, but then will complain elsewhere in the site that we are not paying enough to attract football players of a certain calibre.

To conclude, I'm down hearted, but convinced the Tories will implode before the next election. And I won't let them off the hook.

That's just British politics though isn't it? Cyclical.

Labour will get in next for 1 or 2 Parliaments, probably bankrupt the country or lead us into another unjust war, then back to the Conservatives to make unpopular cuts. Rinse and repeat. 

My original point is the NHS is under pressure due to people not looking after themselves properly, obesity is more of an issue than smoking nowadays yet takeaways are doing better than ever.

Given the problems that this country is facing with regard to pension provision and care (medical and social) for the elderly perhaps we should be considering encouraging more people not to look after themselves in the hope of avoiding some version of Logan's run come 2030?

Best thing about the Tories winning, is seeing the meltdown on here and on other social media sources from 'liberals'.

'Im gonna emigrate now...'

'People who voted Tories are scum and racist...'

'It's the end of the NHS....'

Hilarious.

My last work call of the day was to a good customer of mine, who voted Tory. 

He's just said (quote almost verbatim); 

"I never thought they would get an actual majority. I'm a supporter and even I don't think they should be let loose on their own. If I had known, I wouldn't have voted"! 

I asked him why he did and he said he thought it was the best way to ensure another coalition and stop the SNP

How many more might be feeling the tinge of regret today? Whatever the number, it will be a lot higher in a year or two! 

what a crap reason for voting Conservative.

I know, he should have voted Tory becasue they are clearly the best and most capabale party of running the country

I've got massive respect for anyone who voted for them because they believe that. 

Ive just got a feeling there are a lot who voted for the 'wrong' reason/s - like my man in question. 

You should never vote for the wrong reasons, when I cast my vote I was not thinking at all about the SNP at all. I find the fact that someone did that quite odd to say the least

I probably should of used the word "hypocrisy", I find it hypocritical that people shout and scream about one thing but ignore something worse because it suits their habits.

Why? It wouldn't have made any more sense.

Do Tories not smoke or is it just that Tory smokers aren't hypocrites in your view?

Best thing about the Tories winning, is seeing the meltdown on here and on other social media sources from 'liberals'.

Hilarious.

Some of the uproar is entertaining :D

• Like 3

Do Tories not smoke or is it just that Tory smokers aren't hypocrites in your view?

Neither, the point was around the nhs that lefties keep mentioning it yet dont look at the real reasons the nhs has a problem and IMHO its hypocritical.

'People who voted Tories are scum and racist '           How ironic that the compassionate Left who take the moral high ground stoop this low .   Disagree with the Left and suffer their wrath .  

Makes no difference how the govt choose to spend the money its revenue so I don't understand the argument about smokers costing the NHS so much, as without the taxes on smoking then there would be less for the NHS and it would probably be totally bust by now. 

I think smoking is dumb but the tobacco companies are evil by making these things so addictive so I don't blame the smokers. My mother in law died from lung cancer at 67. I think she only used the NHS in the last year of her life and so the money she put in and saved from not collecting state pensions for 10 years or more heavily outweighed what it cost the NHS.

But thats my point, it isnt like for like - the NHS dont get their costs back if the money is "lost" elsewhere in the economy due to smoking - Im talking about this sort of thing http://www.york.ac.uk/healthsciences/news-and-events/news/2012/smoking-economy/

My original point is the NHS is under pressure due to people not looking after themselves properly, obesity is more of an issue than smoking nowadays yet takeaways are doing better than ever.

People are throwing their toys out the pram due to the Tory government but should be looking elsewhere (or themselves) at where some of the real issues lie to direct their anger - but that wouldnt be convenient....

Yes but there could be a proviso in there which states x amount of tobacco revenue goes to the NHS, but I accept your point. I agree about obesity and that people have to take responsibilty for their own lives and not blame the govts all the time. 

Neither, the point was around the nhs that lefties keep mentioning it yet dont look at the real reasons the nhs has a problem and IMHO its hypocritical.

Maybe a slight problem for the NHS is 300,000+ net extra customers per year.  

• Like 1

Best thing about the Tories winning, is seeing the meltdown on here and on other social media sources from 'liberals'.'Im gonna emigrate now...''People who voted Tories are scum and racist...''It's the end of the NHS....'Hilarious.

What's the need for nasty snobby snide little posts like these? What about the other side like the borderline personal insults Stefan gets from the middle to upper class posters who don't know what happens in the real world as a working class citizen?

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

Hilarious.

Some of the uproar is entertaining :D

Glad you find it so funny. 

Away from the partisan stuff for a moment, I've been musing on the status of MPs who are also party leaders/cabinet ministers/Prime Minister, etc. How can they possibly discharge their duties as constituency MPs as well as they should, with all their Westminster commitments? 

Our local Tory MP (Stuart Andrew) is - to his credit - very high profile locally. I've seen him around the area more than any politician I can remember. He pops up in local supermarkets, etc., making himself available for his constituents, which - regardless of party - I find admirable. But he's not in the cabinet. How often do their constituents see the likes of Cameron, Osborne, Milliband, etc.? One of the major criticisms of Ed Balls was that he wasn't seen very often in Morley. 

Wouldn't it be better if the major parties had a front bench team that concentrated full time on policy and Westminster business, with MPs free to give full attention to their local areas? I realise there would be problems with reshuffles, etc., but it's surely worth thinking about. 

• Like 1

Best thing about the Tories winning, is seeing the meltdown on here and on other social media sources from 'liberals'.'Im gonna emigrate now...''People who voted Tories are scum and racist...''It's the end of the NHS....'Hilarious.

What's the need for nasty snobby snide little posts like these? What about the other side like the borderline personal insults Stefan gets from the middle to upper class posters who don't know what happens in the real world as a working class citizen?
Ehhh bit rich that though coming from your good self considering you said earlier, and I quote, '...racists, Europhobes, bankers and the middle to upper class is what makes up this country it seems'.

It's alright for you to say that then??... I never made a comment either other then saying I find the meltdown entertaining.

Also as a working class man, a gent and a scholar, myself earning the average salary I'm very aware what happens in the real world thank you and still voted Tory. Bit of a strange comment that.

Edited by donnie

Ehhh bit rich that though coming from your good self considering you said earlier, and I quote, '...racists, Europhobes, bankers and the middle to upper class is what makes up this country it seems'.

It's alright for you to say that then??... I never made a comment either other then saying I find the meltdown entertaining.

Also as a working class man, a gent and a scholar, myself earning the average salary I'm very aware what happens in the real world thank you and still voted Tory. Bit of a strange comment that.

For goodness sake man, you have the wrong sort of opinions and therefore different rules apply. Don't you know anything?

• Like 1

..Where are the £8bn of unfunded cuts going to come from?

I don't know there are £8bn of un-funded cuts , certain parts of the media have said they are but presumably at some point we will find out officially...

The IFS looked at al the manifestos and said (pdf)

• Since the Conservatives’ plans imply the greatest reduction in borrowing, they have the greatest job to do in terms of setting out how they would achieve this. Despite this, their detailed tax policies are a net giveaway of 0.1% of national income, their detailed social security measures would only provide a tenth of the cuts that they have said they want to deliver, and their commitments on aid, the NHS and schools would (relative to a real freeze) increase spending on these areas by 0.3% of national income.

• The Conservatives have squared this circle with an aspiration to raise 0.2% of national income (around £5 billion) from clamping down on tax avoidance, unspecified further cuts to benefits amounting to 0.5% of national income (about £10 billion) and a further real-terms cut to ‘unprotected’ departmental spending of £30 billion that was not mentioned in their manifesto. So the Conservatives need to spell out substantially more detail of how they will deliver the overall fiscal targets they have set themselves.

• Under the Conservatives’ plans, and assuming they find the social security cuts and revenues from tax avoidance that they have targeted, total departmental spending would need to be cut by 7.1% between 2014-15 and 2018-19. This would be a slightly slower rate of cuts than over the previous parliament (an average cut of 1.8% per year compared with 2.4% per year between 2010-11 and 2014-15). Departmental spending would fall to its lowest level in real terms since 2003-04. Outside of aid, the NHS and education (which have been promised various levels of protection by the Conservatives), other departmental spending looks to be facing cuts of 17.9% between 2014-15 and 2018-19. This would be on top of the 18.1% cut experienced between 2010-11 and 2014-15, leading to a cumulative cut over the whole period from 2010-11 to 2018-19 of 32.8%). These ‘unprotected’ areas include defence, transport, law and order, and social care.

is this the same IFS that Villatalk have deemed worthless when they've come out with stuff agreeing with the Tories ?

But on the radio just now as I drove home it seems we give the Scotch £7bn under the Barnett formula... Give the scotch fiscal autonomy and bingo overnight we have £7bn ... Just £1bn left to find now

I must admit after reading through this thread I have been surprised by some of the vitriolic and venomous posts made just because the people of this country have voted Tory. It would seem you only know what you are doing if you vote Labour and that you must be a rich banker baby eater or racist if you vote Tory. Funny, The over reactions are some of the biggest seen on here since the Paul Lambert thread was in fully swing! Comments about not feeling as though they belong in this county, etc. My word, have a cup of tea and calm down. 

For what it's worth I didn't vote yesterday, I was too busy being a 'hard working Brit' (copyright: every political party) and was unable to get to a polling station in the hours needed, To be honest I had no idea on who I would have voted for anyway If I had of made out. They're all a bit uninspiring. 

• Like 2

Ehhh bit rich that though coming from your good self considering you said earlier, and I quote, '...racists, Europhobes, bankers and the middle to upper class is what makes up this country it seems'.It's alright for you to say that then??... I never made a comment either other then saying I find the meltdown entertaining.Also as a working class man, a gent and a scholar, myself earning the average salary I'm very aware what happens in the real world thank you and still voted Tory. Bit of a strange comment that.
I want just referring to the Tories fans though but i suspect you already knew that. Edited by Ingram85

Without appearing to be ganging up on poor Stefan he did in fact start the ball rolling with his insults \remarks about people who voted Tory and I'm sure he's been here long enough to know how it works on the interweb :)

Your next comment about real world isn't worthy of a response

Â