Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

my grandad was a working class man and slogged his guts out doing working class jobs but he always voted tory. i did not agree with labour one bit, also the same with my gran. he worked hard for his money and looked after it and for that hes very comfortable financially. he was a very conservative man and definately shared their views.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has been called racist for voting Tory. I hate the **** but I can at least understand their appeal.

UKIP voters, on the other hand, are either openly racist (christ, a quick scroll through social media will tell you that much) or are at least happy to support a party full of racists - which isn't much better.

Whereas you openly make disparaging remarks about white people. You little racist. 

I apologise for offending the historically oppressed white middle-class middle-aged man. It is right and fair that white middle-class middle-aged men dominate political discourse in the UK and I look forward to hearing their enlightened views on the EU referendum.

So your sarcasm aside, racism against white people is okay because they haven't been "historically oppressed"? Ignoring your clear lack of historical knowledge for a moment, you are clearly comfortable with applying a double standard to the issue of racism, depending on the skin hue of the people involved - making you a racist and a bigot.  That you don't even see that and resort to sarcasm simply shows the depth of your prejudice. Disgusting. 

Quite frankly, that you've jumped to label me a racist and a bigot for making a comment about the disparity in representation at top level politics says more about your own skewed vision of the world than anything.

One wonders why I haven't been labelled sexist for pointing out that men dominate politics too.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone has been called racist for voting Tory. I hate the **** but I can at least understand their appeal.

UKIP voters, on the other hand, are either openly racist (christ, a quick scroll through social media will tell you that much) or are at least happy to support a party full of racists - which isn't much better.

Whereas you openly make disparaging remarks about white people. You little racist.

I apologise for offending the historically oppressed white middle-class middle-aged man. It is right and fair that white middle-class middle-aged men dominate political discourse in the UK and I look forward to hearing their enlightened views on the EU referendum.

So your sarcasm aside, racism against white people is okay because they haven't been "historically oppressed"? Ignoring your clear lack of historical knowledge for a moment, you are clearly comfortable with applying a double standard to the issue of racism, depending on the skin hue of the people involved - making you a racist and a bigot. That you don't even see that and resort to sarcasm simply shows the depth of your prejudice. Disgusting.

Quite frankly, that you've jumped to label me a racist and a bigot for making a comment about the disparity in representation at top level politics says more about your own skewed vision of the world than anything.

One wonders why I haven't been labelled sexist for pointing out that men dominate politics too.

Now you mention it , sexist and racist ... you are Godfrey Bloom and I claim my £5

So your sarcasm aside, racism against white people is okay because they haven't been "historically oppressed"? Ignoring your clear lack of historical knowledge for a moment, you are clearly comfortable with applying a double standard to the issue of racism, depending on the skin hue of the people involved - making you a racist and a bigot.  That you don't even see that and resort to sarcasm simply shows the depth of your prejudice. Disgusting. 

Why bring colour into it at all? It was entirely unnecessary and frankly racist. Not to mention the accompanying ageist comment about "old" white people. You preach anti discrimination which is commendable, why then display it in your own posts? Vile.

• Like 1

This is where i think ed miliband has come unstuck. There are millions of voters out there who are from working class backgrounds who have worked really hard to get what they have got, and yes some of them are 'rich'...and ed has, in my opinion, categorised them all as 'privileged'.

What plans had he got for this massive group of people...bar taxing them to the hilt to pay for his projects?

I am not going to get bogged down in discussing what 'projects' Miliband and the Labour party would have been funding as quite frankly that is now irrelevant.

What I do think though is that there is indeed a massive group of people in this country - the average working man/woman in you like, who need to face up to some realities and make an informed decision on what kind of country they want to live in.

We have a massively aging population yet we have seen massive cuts in older adult care funding. We have an NHS that is bursting at the seams and needs drastic measures urgently to ensure we don't go back decades in terms of waiting times and early diagnosis of cancer. We have a situation where many people phoning up to get access to a GP on a Monday will be lucky to get an appointment that week. We have seen the erosion of workers rights over the last five years, instability in the work force especially for the low paid and a culture of fear develop due to the safety net slowly being taken away and a culture developing where by people claiming in work benefits are demonized and seen as scroungers. I find it shocking to think in 2015 we have many people in this country working 40 hours plus a week having to use foodbanks as they can't afford to put enough food on the table. And perhaps most shocking of all we have seen disabled people taking there own lives due to benefit sanctions. I could be here all night as the list goes on and on.

I think therefore the average Joe in this country as a choice to make and needs to decide if he is prepared to pay a few more quid a week out of his wages to ensure we have good public services, to ensure we can maintain a decent NHS for all and not continue down the road we are on at the moment, to ensure we have good social care provision so the increasing amount of elderly people in this country have the dignity of getting good care, to ensure we make sure those with disabilities are taken care of both financially and have access to the services they require and to ensure that if any of us hit hard times there is a good safety net in place and we aren't made to feel like scum for having to access it.

Or do we continue to make the choice that seems to have been made in this election by the majority of those who voted. The choice of turning a blind eye or simply being totally oblivious to the erosion of our public services. The choice of well I'm alright Jack and doing okay as I have a few quid more in my pocket due to the tax changes and the choice to say that whilst I am sorry we have people who are less fortunate, really I don't want to give up a little of what I have to help them.

I'd like to think some time soon, perhaps when reality of the choice we have just made sets in, more of us in terms of voting will choose to sacrifice a little more of what we have to ensure we all as a society benefit.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Why bring colour into it at all? It was entirely unnecessary and frankly racist. Not to mention the accompanying ageist comment about "old" white people. You preach anti discrimination which is commendable, why then display it in your own posts? Vile.

1. Because while it shouldn't matter it still does - whether you accept that or not, I don't care. Pointing out that politics and power in this country is dominated by white men is important because it needs to change and become more representative. Thankfully, gradually, it is.

2. I was referring to the old eurosceptics (John Redwood and the like) crawling out of the woodwork. Do I think the EU debate should be dominated by older white men? No, I do not. Their voice is as valid as everyone else's but it should be one of many.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

my grandad was a working class man and slogged his guts out doing working class jobs but he always voted tory. i did not agree with labour one bit, also the same with my gran. he worked hard for his money and looked after it and for that hes very comfortable financially. he was a very conservative man and definately shared their views.

Why don't you agree with Labour?

It sounds to me like you vote Tory out of blind loyalty. They're not a football club, we have a real choice to make here.

Or we did do. Too late now. Good luck.

I think it's particularly galling about this Tory party getting in, is that for all that they are the Nasty Party still (and I hope no-one falls on hard times of any sort in the coming 5 years), you look at the likes of Thatcher and you see a powerfully competent politician. This lot are verging on jokes.

It's a terrible mark against the Labour party to add to the rest. They got trounced by the Tories class of dunces.

I fell on hard times twice under the last Labour government.  I was unemployed for 6 months in the late 90s, and got something like £55 a week to live on.  I also got a contribution of roughly £30 a week towards my £50 a week rent in the shape of housing benefit.  So roughly £220 in unemployment benefit, of which £80 went toward my rent shortfall.  I then worked for nothing other than my benefits (so was effectively still unemployed) in a small accountancy practice for 6 months in an attempt to learn some new skills and make myself employable.  I fail to see how that was any better than what happens these days.  A few years later when I was working as an accountant, my costs of living weren't matched by wage rises and we as a family found things very tough indeed.   Due to the out of control financial markets, we had a 0% deposit, 125% loan to value mortgage.  Labour were an absolute train wreck  and I for one hope we've seen the back of them for a good while.

I still don't understand why you, a working class man, would vote Conservative. I'm intrigued.

as a previous poster commented about people voting to suit their own needs and maybe not looking at the bigger picture well im probably one of them. im not really into politics but my work mate asked if i was voting and i said no, he was voting tory. anyway he asked who id rather be in power and i said probably conservative as in my line of work things have picked up drastically and he agreed. i know naff all about politics and i will use a term mooney hates and thats i think they are all the same but when i was working under a labour government it was absolutely shit and i had a lot of days laid off. its a lot different now but i will admit i probably aint looked at the bigger picture as i dont really care for politics but i did not really want labour back in.

I think it's particularly galling about this Tory party getting in, is that for all that they are the Nasty Party still (and I hope no-one falls on hard times of any sort in the coming 5 years), you look at the likes of Thatcher and you see a powerfully competent politician. This lot are verging on jokes.

It's a terrible mark against the Labour party to add to the rest. They got trounced by the Tories class of dunces.

I fell on hard times twice under the last Labour government. I was unemployed for 6 months in the late 90s, and got something like £55 a week to live on. I also got a contribution of roughly £30 a week towards my £50 a week rent in the shape of housing benefit. So roughly £220 in unemployment benefit, of which £80 went toward my rent shortfall. I then worked for nothing other than my benefits (so was effectively still unemployed) in a small accountancy practice for 6 months in an attempt to learn some new skills and make myself employable. I fail to see how that was any better than what happens these days. A few years later when I was working as an accountant, my costs of living weren't matched by wage rises and we as a family found things very tough indeed. Due to the out of control financial markets, we had a 0% deposit, 125% loan to value mortgage. Labour were an absolute train wreck and I for one hope we've seen the back of them for a good while.

Hard times will always be hard for anyone under any government. But I think there's been a considerable squeeze under the Coalition on this demographic, and the Tories will only continue that. Its been framed as attacking scroungers, sticking up for 'hard working families' but will attack indiscriminately. I believe that had you fallen on the same hard times 15 years later, you will have suffered more.

I don't support Labour, to be clear. I don't support any of them, they're all charlatans and none share my views particularly. I think Mikes post on the last page, however, gives a good outline of traditional Labour values I could back. Unfortunately they abandoned those years ago. The Tories haven't changed that much, fundamentally, however, and those values wouldn't enter their mind. Hence the worries of what an unfettered Tory government would do now.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

I feel sorry for the people who can't help themselves, in a compassionate society they get looked after, but in the next 5 years they will most likely die, and that in the eyes of the conservatives is fair enough. Sickening.

• Like 2

I still don't understand why you, a working class man, would vote Conservative. I'm intrigued.

I grew up in a working class family (never discussed politics with my family but i suspect my dad was a labour man ). I worked the early part of my life as working class then through a mixture of hard work and good luck  I guess I've dragged myself into being more middle class than working class... I never voted labour , and based on the various policy tests i did in the other threads , appear unlikely to ever do so ( though my scores weren't as partisan as many peoples were)

I don't see why ,on paper , i'd have had to have voted labour ?

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the three SNP candidates that didn't win their seats.

They must feel like proper inadequate dicks.

:lol:

I only found out a few minutes ago that the Tory's won a seat in Scotchland  .. did the SNP put Ghenghis Khan or Gordon Brown up against him ?

Â