Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

Best thing about the Tories winning, is seeing the meltdown on here and on other social media sources from 'liberals'.'Im gonna emigrate now...''People who voted Tories are scum and racist...''It's the end of the NHS....'Hilarious.

What's the need for nasty snobby snide little posts like these? What about the other side like the borderline personal insults Stefan gets from the middle to upper class posters who don't know what happens in the real world as a working class citizen?

To be fair, there have been nasty posts about people who have voted conservative as well. Plus a lot of working class vote Conservative, the amount of votes they got attest to that. I think its a little blinkered to assume that just because people vote Tory that they don't know what happens in the real world as a working class citizen. 

• Like 1

I must admit after reading through this thread I have been surprised by some of the vitriolic and venomous posts made just because the people of this country have voted Tory.

36.9% of those who voted.

It would seem you only know what you are doing if you vote Labour...

Don't make the same mistake that is made in all of these threads (and elsewhere) that being a critic of one party makes you a supporter of another.

It's quite possible to be of the opinion that a majority Labour government would have been terrible but a majority Tory one is an utter disaster. :D

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

I stitched myself up there.

Lets not target the fractional amount 'benefit cheats' cost the system, instead focus on the rich people who dodge tax. But those rich people fund the conservatives so not a chance.

It's sickening that they'll go after the easiest targets. At the moment that's immigrants and those on benefits, when in truth, the money they cost is nothing compared to tax evasion.

The Conservatives have done far more to attack tax avoidance than the preceding Labour government.  Look up GAAR, Accelerated Payment notices and beefing up the DOTAS schemes by way of example.  Even the stuff about companies like Vodafone started under Labour.

• Like 1

I must admit after reading through this thread I have been surprised by some of the vitriolic and venomous posts made just because the people of this country have voted Tory. It would seem you only know what you are doing if you vote Labour and that you must be a rich banker baby eater or racist if you vote Tory. Funny, The over reactions are some of the biggest seen on here since the Paul Lambert thread was in fully swing! Comments about not feeling as though they belong in this county, etc. My word, have a cup of tea and calm down. 

For what it's worth I didn't vote yesterday, I was too busy being a 'hard working Brit' (copyright: every political party) and was unable to get to a polling station in the hours needed, To be honest I had no idea on who I would have voted for anyway If I had of made out. They're all a bit uninspiring. 

Some of us (on both sides) feel a lot more passionate about politics than you do, obviously. 

I make no bones about it. I don't just dislike the Conservative Party, I hate them. It's not too strong a word. 

I have no problem with passion or supporting a certain party, its calling people words removed and racists just because they have different political leanings that get on my goat. Everyone is entitled to vote how they want without getting abused. 

Edited by Xela

I don't think anyone has been called racist for voting Tory. I hate the **** but I can at least understand their appeal.

UKIP voters, on the other hand, are either openly racist (christ, a quick scroll through social media will tell you that much) or are at least happy to support a party full of racists - which isn't much better.

• Like 2

Out of interest, what fuels the racism jibes about voting Tory?

its yer standard deflection tactic ... When labour were leaking voters to the BNP it was better to stand up and screech racist to people that don't want to be members of of the European Union , than to face the reality

I'm delighted - never thought it would work out like this. Balls, Galloway and Cable losing their seats is the icing on the cake.

I don't think anyone has been called racist for voting Tory. I hate the **** but I can at least understand their appeal.

UKIP voters, on the other hand, are either openly racist (christ, a quick scroll through social media will tell you that much) or are at least happy to support a party full of racists - which isn't much better.

I despise UKIP but I think that's an unfair generalisation - I think many are simply ignorant of the latter fact.

I don't think anyone has been called racist for voting Tory.

Not directly (as in nobody in this thread has been accused if being racist for doing it)

But it's certainly been mentioned that racists make up part of the people who voted for them.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I just don't know what causes the link between Tory and racist.

I'm delighted - never thought it would work out like this. Balls, Galloway and Cable losing their seats is the icing on the cake.

Bloody great isn't it ... And done with dignity and none of this uncouth chanting like James Goldsmith

I must admit after reading through this thread I have been surprised by some of the vitriolic and venomous posts made just because the people of this country have voted Tory. It would seem you only know what you are doing if you vote Labour and that you must be a rich banker baby eater or racist if you vote Tory. Funny, The over reactions are some of the biggest seen on here since the Paul Lambert thread was in fully swing! Comments about not feeling as though they belong in this county, etc. My word, have a cup of tea and calm down.

For what it's worth I didn't vote yesterday, I was too busy being a 'hard working Brit' (copyright: every political party) and was unable to get to a polling station in the hours needed, To be honest I had no idea on who I would have voted for anyway If I had of made out. They're all a bit uninspiring.

Some of us (on both sides) feel a lot more passionate about politics than you do, obviously.

I make no bones about it. I don't just dislike the Conservative Party, I hate them. It's not too strong a word.

Mymooney, please tell if this is not you. I know you are retired from other threads, so I know that you are of a different generation to me.

Anyway, the point is, you speak to older labour/leftist voters, and they freaking hate the Tories. They hate them because they have experienced the horrific administration. They know their history too. Thatcher came close to tearing the country apart. The hate is there for a reason, it's not unfounded prejudice.

I'm not expecting Cameron's majority government to be that decisive though.

Me I dislike them, and when I hear of the social injustices on the back of their policies, a bit of hate creeps in. But I don't hate Conservative voters, they are just people.

(misguided people).

Whereas you openly make disparaging remarks about white people. You little racist. 

• Like 2

im not big on politics and all that but i voted conservative because i feel they have got the country back on its feet to a degree after labour had us on our knees. can someone explain to me why everyone is hating on the conservatives? what do you think are the negatives in having a tory government for another five years.

I like this just because it slags off Owen Jones and Russel Brand

The biggest loser of the night? Russell Brand

Forget Vince Cable. Forget, if you can, Ed Balls (and I know that’s hard, because what a joyous result that was). Expel from your mind the image of Nick Clegg crying into his cornflakes this morning while texting his old pals in the Euro-oligarchy to see if they will give him a new plush job that involves no contact with pesky plebs. For last night there was an even bigger loser than those guys. Russell Brand. Or ‘Rusty Rockets’, as his politics-packed Twitterfeed has it. Rusty being the operative word, for now we know that the much-hyped ability of slebs like Brand to sway public sentiment is in a serious state of decomposition.

This election has just done to Brand what the last election did to Clegg: exposed that his powers of persuasion over the little people are nothing more than a Guardianista fantasy. In 2010 every liberal was banging on about Cleggmania and saying Nick was the Obama of Britain. (Obama should have sued.) Then the election results came in and revealed that Clegg’s Lib Dems actually lost seats – 57, down from 61 in 2005 (and now, of course, his party is wiped out).

This time round, leftish observers talked up the ‘Brand effect’, the possibility that Rusty’s reversal on not voting and his interview with and endorsement of Miliband might help swing the election. ‘The Tories should be worried’, declared the Guardian. Yeah, not so much. If Brand had any effect – and he didn’t – it was only to damn Labour even more than it was already damned.

The bigging-up of Brand’s intervention in the election was seat-shiftingly embarrassing. ‘He has nearly 10 million Twitter followers… he is listened to by hundreds of thousands of disillusioned Britons… Russell Brand matters’, said Owen Jones, clearly viewing Brand as a kind of priestly figure with a mystical hold over that inscrutable blob (us lot) that politicians can’t connect with. In another piece, Jones said ‘Miliband’s best route to young voters is Russell Brand’, not stopping to think that it might be super-weird that the leader of the alleged party of working people can only speak to the youth via a floppy-haired 40-year-old tabloid filler who hasn’t made a decent gag since 2008.

Elsewhere, commentators hailed Brand as the man who has ‘access to voters politicians can’t reach’. Brand was treated as a celeb conduit, a connector of the political class with the plebs, someone who could actually turn things around. ‘The Tories should be worried.’ People seriously said that.

We can laugh at it all now, and we should – in fact, it’s important that we do. Because it turns out that Brand’s ability to get people lining up behind Miliband was pure bluster. This calls into question, not only the impact of Russell’s silly, increasingly David Icke-like ‘Trews’ videos, but also the whole modern trend for shoving celebs into the political limelight in the desperate hope that they might get the lazy little people interested and engaged in political stuff.

Hilariously, the very same people who accuse the Murdoch papers of brainwashing their readers into voting for the Tories – such undiluted snobbery – believed that a celeb with a webcam and a lively Twitter presence could simply click his fingers and get the hordes voting Labour. But he couldn’t. And it isn’t hard to see why. It’s because people aren’t idiots. They want substance, seriousness, not finger-wagging gags about EVIL TORIES and instructions to ‘save Britain’ by giving the nod to Ed.

Brandmania ultimately spoke to the gaping, chasm-like disconnection of the Labour movement, the liberal elite and the Twitterati from ordinary people. Incapable of speaking directly to the masses, they had to employ a sleb to try to do it on their behalf. Their reliance on Rusty revealed their own lack of any serious message, or any means of communicating it to the people. And now they are dumbfounded by the election results, utterly unable to comprehend why their favoured party did so badly. ‘But we had RUSSELL BRAND on our side!’ It’s amazing – they’re like medieval kings, staring in bemusement at the throng, wondering why it refuses to heed the messages of their long-haired missionary.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/the-biggest-loser-of-the-night-russell-brand/

• Like 4

im not big on politics and all that but i voted conservative because i feel they have got the country back on its feet to a degree after labour had us on our knees. can someone explain to me why everyone is hating on the conservatives? what do you think are the negatives in having a tory government for another five years.

Blandy's post on page 24 is a good start mate. 

I could write a long piece on why I think this particular Tory government will be bad for the country at this time, but the likes of Blandy and Mark put it far more eloquently. Worth going back and having a read. 

Edited by wazzap24

Whereas you openly make disparaging remarks about white people. You little racist. 

I apologise for offending the historically oppressed white middle-class middle-aged man. It is right and fair that white middle-class middle-aged men dominate political discourse in the UK and I look forward to hearing their enlightened views on the EU referendum.

I think it's particularly galling about this Tory party getting in, is that for all that they are the Nasty Party still (and I hope no-one falls on hard times of any sort in the coming 5 years), you look at the likes of Thatcher and you see a powerfully competent politician. This lot are verging on jokes.

It's a terrible mark against the Labour party to add to the rest. They got trounced by the Tories class of dunces.

I'm not much of a political expert so I have a question: Does this mean that things really are going to be as bad as everyone is making out, or is there just a lot of overreacting? Genuine question.

I wouldn't take that much notice, in general the left are more vociferous in expressing their views, hence why nobody really saw this result coming as the majority was largely silent. I'm sure most of the people are content with the way they voted, otherwise they wouldn't have voted, and are willing to wait and see what happens. I find the worst scenarios that people have come up with as being very unlikely and is mostly based upon deep-rooted prejudices against the Tories.

I think this is spot on....the only people i have heard talking politics, outside of my family and friends, have been anti-tory. Be it labour, ukip or whatever party they pin their colours to, there has been a vociferous anti tory/rich/posh boy/privileged voice amongst the people i mix with.

This is where i think ed miliband has come unstuck. There are millions of voters out there who are from working class backgrounds who have worked really hard to get what they have got, and yes some of them are 'rich'...and ed has, in my opinion, categorised them all as 'privileged'.

What plans had he got for this massive group of people...bar taxing them to the hilt to pay for his projects?

I've kept my mouth shut and let my vote do the talking...along with the rest of the silent majority it seems

• Like 1

I apologise for offending the historically oppressed white middle-class middle-aged man. It is right and fair that white middle-class middle-aged men dominate political discourse in the UK and I look forward to hearing their enlightened views on the EU referendum.

So your sarcasm aside, racism against white people is okay because they haven't been "historically oppressed"? Ignoring your clear lack of historical knowledge for a moment, you are clearly comfortable with applying a double standard to the issue of racism, depending on the skin hue of the people involved - making you a racist and a bigot.  That you don't even see that and resort to sarcasm simply shows the depth of your prejudice. Disgusting. 

Â