PauloBarnesi

37 minutes ago, villa89 said:

No we don't, we need rich owners because the UK government aren't going to give us a free stadium like they did for West Ham. These clearings in the woods just got lucky.

You cant call it lucky, as much as I don't like it, it was actually a genius move

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You cant call it lucky, as much as I don't like it, it was actually a genius move

But they didn't do anything other than apply to get the stadium along with Spurs and Leyton Orient? And AFAIK the reason they got the stadium was because one of the main decision makers was a West Ham fan. They haven't done anything special that any other owners would not have done. It's the generousity of the UK government that's set them up so well.

The best thing they did was replace Allardyce with Bilic and the fans' hatred of Allardyce meant he had to go anyway.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham average 30k season in season out, they could easily extend Upton Park if they had wanted to to around 45k and they'd probably have filled it most weeks so up to nearly 60k isn't a massive stretch.

As Mike says above it's London so the tourist effect aswell. Remember when Fulham were in the prem and having 25k sell outs every week even though they probably don't have even 25k fans in the whole country.....well for any away fan who sat in that neutral stand you'll remember it was overflowing with tourists and they have disappeared with Fulham getting relegated so West Ham will be appealing to them aswell as others.

they do seem to sell out most games the last few seasons and it seems their support has improved because historically their support has never been big. their biggest average attendance was set last season at 34.800 and the previous two seasons were over 34k so it does seem they need more seats but im just surprised at how well the new stadium sales have taken off. if non west ham fans and tourists are going to fill the stadium up its going to be a shit atmosphere but i suppose hammers fans know its going to be nothing like upton park was.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Genius?

New stadium on their doorstep empty after Olympics. That is incredibly fortunate, fact that they then got the rent deal they got is like you or I winning the lottery. 

Possibly the luckiest turn of events in the history of football. This will set them up financially for 100 years.

The phrase "purple patch" springs to mind.

They're definitely a team on the up.

The Barclays Premier League of London and surrounding areas...

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wonder what SSN will make of the trouble outside... Been there all day and will no doubt manage to miss it

They'll be confused by the Claret and Blue and blame Villa fans for reintroducing the dark days again ;)

• Like 2

West Ham, and delusions of grandeur go hand in hand. Just because you're based in London, it doesn't make you a big club. I have appreciation for them being a proper football club, but I'd never but them in the elite bracket. On a par with  the likes of Southampton, WBA, Wolves, and Stoke City for me. The media love in is making me queasy.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

It's merely "colourful" behaviour according to the BBC so I guess no nine year olds have been spotted having a photo with their scarf aloft just yet...

...dark days, dark dark days.

Can't see anything on the website, kickoff delayed but they've failed to mention why 

Does anyone remember when David Gold referred to Villa fans as "Scum" for smashing up his roles royce outside VP when he was at the blues?

I wonder if he will say the same thing about his own fans....

• Like 3

Â