PauloBarnesi

They're going for it I'll give them that.

Must be nice to see your club holding real ambition, its been a long while since we had any.

The 62m from the stadium sale must help.

Without a doubt but its ambition that help them achieve that.

Ambition of chairman who wanted their hands on their old stadium.

A lot of 1 year loans at West Ham, guess protecting your investment could be classed as ambition but anything they do is for the good of themselves not the club

Ambition of chairman who wanted their hands on their old stadium.

A lot of 1 year loans at West Ham, guess protecting your investment could be classed as ambition but anything they do is for the good of themselves not the club

Not sure what the first line of the above means.

Don't agree on the second.

Not sure what the first line of the above means.

Don't agree on the second.

It made sense to me :) In my mind, the Gold Brothers and Sullivan only had one interest when they brought West Ham and that was Upton Park knowing they could move to the Olympic Stadium, I just feel they had to invest this year to ensure they were in the premier league for their big move, then they will sell the club as soon as they have their big profit and not give a shit who that sale is to.

I'm not so sure.

They are West Ham fans and never hid this even when they owned the shower down the road.

I think they are in it for the right reasons and I can't see them selling any time soon.

I agree they are trying to guarantee their position in the PL ahead of the move but I think the change of manager indicated that they want more than that.

I think their ambition is genuine and football related but done in the knowledge they will also gain personally. It isn't altruism but it is ambition.

Moses was quite good on loan at Stoke I thought, injury prone though. Song was excellent first half of the season but yeah he got injured and faded second half with their form.

If all these clubs above us are signing rubbish players season in season out how come they finish miles above us in the league each year?

It's been a wierd season so far for them, you swop the 4 results to two home wins and two away defeats and nobody bats an eyelid. They have got players at the club already in Cresswell, Winston Reid, Kouyate, Payet Sakho and Valencia so it's really strengthening on top of that rather than selling two of them and then signing half a team.

As I've said before they need to try and keep everyone fit as that seems beyond them every season.

Song I can understand, think he's a great player when he wants to be, wonder if he will turn up after Christmas this year. But everyone spunking over Jelavic and Moses? Do me a cheesy quaver.

My comments about their ambition aren't limited to their additions today.

Song I can understand, think he's a great player when he wants to be, wonder if he will turn up after Christmas this year. But everyone spunking over Jelavic and Moses? Do me a cheesy quaver.

Good job my post wasn't aimed at you ;)

Easy to be ambitious when you can sell your stadium in 12 months for £60m and rent the Olympic Stadium for a fiver a month for all eternity. Well done to them for being an East End based club and bigger than Leyton Orient, I guess.

Good job my post wasn't aimed at you ;)

Easy to be ambitious when you can sell your stadium in 12 months for £60m and rent the Olympic Stadium for a fiver a month for all eternity. Well done to them for being an East End based club and bigger than Leyton Orient, I guess.

Just clarifying given I posted it on deadline day ;)

I agree to a point, they've been hugely fortunate. Nonetheless they've been ambitious to go for it, its a lot of seats to fill they also beat Spurs to the stadium don't forget.

Getting rid of a Fat Sam and trying to get a manager who could do more was ambition.

I fully agree with you they had a huge helping hand though.

So there's a Government response to the online petition to hold an inquiry into the stadium lease deal.

24,214 signatures

Government responded

West Ham United has a concession at the Stadium and their contributions reflect that status. The contract, awarded after an open public competition, has been widely scrutinised and tested in court.

Read the response in full

Following the completion of its transformation programme the Stadium will be - unlike so many previous Olympic Stadiums - a world-class multi-use arena with a long-term future, and one that won’t require continuous support from the taxpayer. The stadium remains in public ownership (E20 Stadium LLP – a joint venture between the London Legacy Development Corporation and Newham Council) and the profits from its multiple uses will flow to the taxpayer. 

As a long-term concessionaire West Ham United will only access the full stadium facilities for and shortly ahead of home matches, anticipated to be an average of 25 games a year. The stadium’s other anchor concession-holder, British Athletics, has a concession for one month a year. The stadium will be available for commercial and other uses at all times outside of these existing commitments. 

The Stadium is a multi-use venue, which has already hosted a major athletics meet this year, the Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games, and will host a range of other events in 2015 including five matches during the Rugby World Cup this autumn, a Rugby League international between England and New Zealand and the Race of Champions motorsport event. In addition the Stadium will host elite athletics including the IAAF and IPC Athletics World Championships in 2017. 

A world class stadium operator has been appointed and it is part of the operator agreement that the Stadium will host concerts and other events.

None of these events will financially benefit West Ham United. All revenues from these events will be shared by the operator and the Stadium owners. The stadium operator has a proven international track record of success in managing and maximising revenue from multi-use stadia and is contractually incentivised to generate maximum income. 

The agreement with West Ham United, including their contribution to transformation costs and rent, followed an open competitive process, which was delivered under EU rules, conducted visibly and exposed to significant scrutiny. The outcome has been tested in the courts and upheld. As the winning bid this constituted the best available return for the taxpayer and secures the commercial viability of a national asset for the next 100 years. 

The European Commission (EC) is responsible for assessing whether public investment distorts the competitive market. The EC has considered this issue on more than one occasion and has done so with full sight of the contractual terms, comprehensive detail of the tender exercise and in depth legal opinion on compliance with UK and EU law. It has found no case to answer. Therefore we do not believe that a public inquiry is necessary. 

The detail of the rental agreement between the Stadium owners and West Ham United is commercially sensitive. Disclosing details of the contract would undermine the future negotiating position of the Stadium's operator, Vinci, who are working hard to bring in future events to get the greatest possible return and ensure that the Stadium is a commercial success. 

It is important that the stadium owners and operator are able to negotiate future contracts in a way that derive maximum value and are not constrained by any one agreement. Such arrangements are standard practice and are designed to both protect the previous public expenditure and maximise the return on this investment.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport

At 100,000 signatures...

At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament

• 1 month later...

Interesting watching the Ireland game just now and seeing what the Olympic stadium looks like with grass on it....I know Rugby is a bigger pitch but it dosen't look a huge distance from stands to pitch certainly compared to likes of Stade De France and Olympic Stadium in Rome.

• 2 months later...

can someone explain how west ham who historically have never had very big support and have never had any success can be on course to sell 40k season tickets and are confident to fill a 54k ground most games. their support the last 15 years has been pretty good,even in the championship but even then they are not in the top ten best supported clubs in england. i do think upton park is restricting them at the moment as they have regular sell outs in a 35k capacity ground but im surprised all of a sudden they can have 50 odd thousand people wanting to go  to games. we only got over 40k for half of our home games when we were shit hot and pushing for top four and i consider us a better supported club.

Tourists.

If you've ever been to Fulham away and sat in that neutral area next to the Villa fans then you'll see Fulham were a club that actively targeted tourists when they were in the prem and got inflated attendances as a result as Fulham certainly don't have 20k hardcore support and that's been apparent since their relegation.

The Olympic stadium is an iconic venue, plenty of people worldwide will visit it each year so why not take in a match aswell?

I agree once the novelty factor of the first season wears off their crowds will go down....Arsenal don't sell out much anymore and they have a massive support compared to West Ham.

That said knowing the luck they'll then get taken over by a cash rich middle east consortium like Man City and the winning football will be enough to keep the crowds up.

• Like 1

Â