Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Crespo is a FB according to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_%C3%81ngel_Crespo

Looks like Baker and Cissokho are going and Herd is a free agent but is training with the club while he tries to find a new one.

So with Crespo as a FB and Baker on his way we actually only have 4 CB's (one of which, Richards, is not a natural CB and one, Senderos, is injury prone). The general concensus on here is that we need a new 'quality' CB that will walk in to the first team. Rather than bringing in cover for Clark, Okore and Richards, lets bring in someone better than them and let them all work/fight for a starting place. That will improve the team imo

Even IF 2 CB's go, we still have 4.

If you want to start assuming, which is fair enough, you'd have to assume that actually Bacuna is a RM. that only leaves Hutton. That is absolutely scary.

Yes Richards CAN play there, but at this stage there's no indication of that, in fact it's been stated he's a CB. Crespo, essentially same deal. Looks more a CB than a RB to me, don't you reckon?

I take your point about signing a starter who can walk into the team at CB, but surely, obviously, one of those is more needed at RB?

The only assumptions I made were that the press links to Baker and Cissokho leaving may be correct (being a speculation thread I didnt think assumptions would bother anyone). My comments were based on the information available. There are various reports saying Crespo is an FB so no, he doesnt look more of a CB to me.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-angel-crespo-aston-villa-9736249

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jose-angel-crespo/profil/spieler/37397

I agree Bacuna is a RM but that doesnt leave only Hutton. If Hutton was injured we could use Crespo or Richards at RB as both are accomplished in that position. So its my opinion that a CB is a higher priority due to that fact that we have 4 players that can play RB (3 of which have been making a career of it) but our CB's consist of Okore & Senderos (both injury prone) Clark (no problems) Richards (unproven in this position) and Baker (probably leaving).

Opinions vary

Daily Facist linking us to Joleon Lescott.

feels like our revenge for them trying to buy our best defender, lets try and poach theirs.

Aston Villa set their sights on luring Joleon Lescott away from rivals West Brom with clubs in talks over a £1million deal 

By Laurie Whitwell for MailOnline

Published: 10:36, 31 July 2015 | Updated: 10:37, 31 July 2015

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View comments

Aston Villa have made an approach to West Bromwich Albion to sign Joleon Lescott, with an offer of £1million for the former England defender understood to have been spoken about.

West Brom, however, are flatly rejecting any advances for one of their star performers last season.

Lescott, who has 12 months left on his £50,000 per week contract signed last summer after leaving Manchester City on a free, turns 33 on August 16.

Maybe they'll announce three today. Or maybe they'll announce three tomorrow. Or maybe it'll be one today and two tomorrow. Or vice versa. Or they'll announce one every other day. Or maybe they'll announce them all next Friday, just for bantz.

It doesn't really matter, but we can, with a high level of certainty, and barring something totally unexpected, be confident that each of the three will be joining the club.

• Like 1

Everyone seems so certain they're going to announce 3 signings in one go today. No team done it before I don't think and i wouldn't be shocked if we don't actually announce anything today. Gestede medical but we've seen before it can take a few days after before the announcement. Who knows what's going on with ade. Veretout medical but who knows what's happening there. I'm sure I'll be shouted down because people want Christmas and how can I be so silly as to not realise villa have a master plan of unveiling 3 players in one big pr move. Nah don't see it

We're not 'so certain'.  We're hoping.  Try it :)

This was said in a friendly voice and not in a shouty downy voice at all

What if the 3M received and another 2M from Baker then enables us to get a younger better prospect defender?  SO Young prospect and elderly role model for Clark and Baker

As we appear to be doing in replacement for Benteke ?

Did Sherwood hint at playing a back five this season?

Current (pie in the sky) possible back 5:

Amavi                                         Hutton

Crespo - Clark - Richards

Do Crespo and Richards seem like hybrid FB-CB players to anyone else?

This could work or fail spectacularly.

A more defensive speculative back five:

Amavi/Crespo                                      Hutton

Okore - Clark - Lescott

Well I'm not saying this will happen and I'm not saying that Sherwood has a free reign or that he is beyond criticism but I think the dealings he has done so far this summer allows him the luxury of pursuing transfer deals that he thinks are in our interests and the time to see how they pan out

• Like 2