Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

The seasons only around the corner need lads in asap. 

I believe things will start happening again once Benteke has gone. I do think that most of our transfer budget is now gone so we are waiting on the Benteke money. I'm sure that whether we get it in one lump sum or in stages the club will count it as money we have and make £32 million available for Tim regardless. At that point if Adebayor is coming in then that will happen, Austin will happen. If we are in for Praet and Darder that will happen.. We just need the funds now.

The main problem with Embolo is Juventus' interest. Even if we can outbid them, we'd need to convince a player to come here instead of holding out for them. Also, Juventus are looking at him long term, so i expect they'd be open to the idea of signing him and loaning him back for a year, which would be very appealing to them

Ps. I didn't realise I was several pages behind .. So sorry if that suddenly seems random now the conversation moved on

When were jive rumoured to have made the bid?

They've bought zaza in the last week, and dybala and mandzukic, they've still got llorente and morata on the books too

Purely going on the conversation from a few pages back.

Talk was that our 10m bid wouldn't be enough because of a €20m bid from Juventus being rejected.

And the fact they've already got such good strikers prompted my points about buying for the future so possibly being open to a loan back.

If Basel have rejected a 20m euro bid from Juve, think of how highly they must rate this kid.

Surely he's out of our league.

Not that I disagree, but that is Euro's, so about £13m

Edited by av1

Austin?  we are not interested in Austin

Just using him as a possible example. I don't have a clue who we're in for as we've been linked to like 40 players in the last month.. 

I believe things will start happening again once Benteke has gone. I do think that most of our transfer budget is now gone so we are waiting on the Benteke money. I'm sure that whether we get it in one lump sum or in stages the club will count it as money we have and make £32 million available for Tim regardless. At that point if Adebayor is coming in then that will happen, Austin will happen. If we are in for Praet and Darder that will happen.. We just need the funds now.

I feel the squad is strong enough to go into the season picking up points, it just might not be good enough to sustain a run of results.

There's time to improve it, it's just going to be tough when the window closes and we haven't thought about certain key positions. I don't want to sound like a broken record but I think a key or young talented striker/cb/tackling midfielder is still needed.

Adebayor is a possibly depending on money but Austin is just tabloid nonsense. IMO

I work on the assumption that what players say they've been told by managers is mostly true. If Gueye has been told he'll be right sided box to box in a three, and Sherwoods earlier comments saying he would mirror Delph on the right, I can see us looking for an athletic left footed midfielder to fill his role now.

Darder is different. He could be this player too. He doesn't just sit, but can do that if required.

Really depends on the kind of balance Sherwood wants. It's hard to judge because there's little previous with him to examine and speculate with!

I'm confused why people keep suggesting to play Praet with Gueye in the middle as CM. He's a CAM/winger like N'Zogbia

not to mention the fact there is no evidence to suggest we are in for Praet, there has only been one link which seems to have convinced everyone we are signing him.

• Like 1

I work on the assumption that what players say they've been told by managers is mostly true. If Gueye has been told he'll be right sided box to box in a three, and Sherwoods earlier comments saying he would mirror Delph on the right, I can see us looking for an athletic left footed midfielder to fill his role now.

Darder is different. He could be this player too. He doesn't just sit, but can do that if required.

Really depends on the kind of balance Sherwood wants. It's hard to judge because there's little previous with him to examine and speculate with!

Interesting to hear you say that about Darder. If he can be cover the two positions, the DM and the energetic box to box type then great news, he sounds like the ideal signing. I'm hoping to see Gardner evolve this season too after bossing the championship last season.

That would give us Sanchez, Darder, Westwood, Gardner and Gueye. We would still need 1 more in my opinion and my hard on for Cambiasso on a 1 year deal isn't going away.

Energy, leadership, competition for places. A decent midfield potentially.

Couple of things. To me, ^ that midfield is arguably one of the worst in the Prem and probably relegation material. Gee we are just dying for some real, genuine quality.

The second thing is that Matty Ryan is one of the best keepers I have ever seen. His Central Coast Mariners days were absolutely out of control. I'm convinced that he will be an A-grade keeper at a Champions league club one day. I really believe that he will be in the top handful of keepers in the world. Would be an absolute ripper signing.

Don't think he could be classed as box to box. Just a true midfielder. He is more subtlety than athleticism. Just positions himself rather well for someone his age. Progression comes from passing rather than dribbling. And he'll likely stay outside the box rather than go in to it.

• Like 1

Cambiasso just dont get it.  It's a Steve Hunt signing all over again.

At the time we signed him we were told we just need that bit of experience that old head in the middle of the park and Hunt was touted as the man for months before we got him,  it was seen as the finishing piece to our jigsaw of midfield at the time to try and stabilize a struggling team.  Worked well that did

• Like 1

Couple of things. To me, ^ that midfield is arguably one of the worst in the Prem and probably relegation material. Gee we are just dying for some real, genuine quality.

To be fair I don't really know what else we can do. We have to gamble to an extent on whether players will be cut out for this division. I've seen and read a fair bit of Gueye now and think he looks the part, but until he has played enough we're not really going to know. That goes for pretty much anyone we should be signing, quality premier league experienced players are simply out of our reach.

To be fair we survived a season where our most used midfield 3 (descending order) was Westwood, Bannan, Delph, 66 starts between them with Holman, El Ahmadi, Ireland, N'Zogbia, Herd, Sylla accounting for another 65 starts. These guys were in the actual starting line up.