Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

Meet him once at Penns Hall hotel, Celta Vigo stayed there before they played us in the late 90s, one of the few who spoke English. They were all in the normal bar.

Celta had an amazing team in the late 90s.

Was reading a random article the other day about the rise of the Icelandic team ahead of their clash vs the Czech, and very randomly there was a quote describing an ex Cxech player - Jan Koller.

brings back all these memories of this big giant striker, with decent scoring records, but remembering him hitting the woodworks more than scoring in one of the major tournament (possibly in European Championships), and me and my mate used "his heading ability" as a reference to a certain part of body gets enlarge and firmer. Also remembered him being played in goal once and pretty much bossed it too.

for some reason when I think of Steve Watson Villa career Steve Stone springs to mind like they were connected for some reason

More Alan Thompson, both signed the same summer. Thompson had actually had a good season for Bolton the year before (and did well at Celtic after we sold him) but he was just one in a long list we signed from a relegated club and they couldn't handle the step up.

Wasn't thompson the solution to England's left side problem? I mainly remember his free kick on his home debut and that game both him & merse missed penalties (merse scoring the rebound iirc).

Christian Chivu if he hasn't retired.

Thought he was going to be one of the world's great defenders, in fairness he played at a very good level in Italy for many years. Class act.

Wow, I really am getting older. Chivu has indeed retired. Doesn't seem too long ago he was a promising young defender for Ajax.

Wasn't thompson the solution to England's left side problem? I mainly remember his free kick on his home debut and that game both him & merse missed penalties (merse scoring the rebound iirc).

Yes he was the solution...for some.

The fact he was nearly 30 and playing in a pub league seemed to escape a fair few at the time.

Coach Nicolas Anelka

Nicolas Anelka named Mumbai City player-manager

Former Chelsea and Arsenal striker Nicolas Anelka has been named player-manager of Mumbai City.

Anelka, 36, played for the Indian Super League side last season under ex-Manchester City manager Peter Reid.

"He impressed us all with his tactical knowledge and excellent motivational skills," said Mumbai City co-owner and Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor.

Anelka has filled a player-coach role before during a season spent at Chinese club at Shanghai Shenhua in 2012.

The Frenchman only managed two goals in seven league games in his first season at Mumbai but returns as the club's 'marquee' player, meaning he is eligible for a higher salary.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33381031

Steve Sidwell.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/245575/steve-sidwell

Stoke fans saying exactly the same things as we did.

Yeah, but at least stoke have had pleasure of seeing his inept and non inexistent performances without paying a transfer fee + very minimal wages, whereas we paid £6million + £40k a week for them.

The wind has a bigger influence on games than sidwell

Â