The return of Safe Standing Issue

ianrobo1

Do you believe in safe standing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in safe standing

• Yes
    • No

I would love to see standing back. It's a shame that all football supporters have been punished for an incident that should never have happened. It did happen though and things have moved on since. I think it's time that the powers that be give us supporters back our standing.

God, yes. This could be best thing to happen to football now.

As a teenager, I had a season ticket during the final season of The Holte End being terraced (I still have a brick that I managed to smuggle away for some reason) and it was completely alien to football today. You could jump up and down, you could have yourself a little disco, you might even go **** mental from time to time. You could tell the right side they were shit and they'd tell you back that, in fact, it was your side that was shit. This would lead to a singing battle between the two sides that lead to The Holte End being a cauldron of noise. You could even gave a fag. All this for a tenner.

I now think football is too expensive for the product provided. Why pay £30+ to sit in silence and watch a bunch of players that you know aren't that much better than you playing boring, lifeless football in the freezing cold?

I remember the first time i was at villa park...men and a friend traveled over to england just to experince the country..neither of us was that in to football...he supported arsenal and i Villa but i could hardly name a player on the team..somehow we ended up in birmingham and decided to go to villa park and we got tickets to the Holte End.

What we were about to experince changed our lives forever..the Atmosphere was just unbelievable..i remember we both looked at eachother a few mins into the game with a holy shit look in our eyes..i still get goose bumbs just by thinking back at it..

From that day on i have been a die hard villa supporter..even my friend started to support villa after that game..when we got home we couldnt wait to tell evryone and evrybody about the amazing atmosphere.

I still love the atmosphere of villa park but you cant compare it to when it was a standing holte end.

I would absolutley love it if they build a standing area at VP and i would travel over alot more if that was the case.

A couple of years ago i was lucky enough to be in dortmund and went to their ground. me and my friends were able to stand and it cost about £8. We were also able to take our beer on to the terrace.

All seater stadiums should never have been bought in. terraces were not unsafe and the sad and tragic events at hillsborough were not due to unsafe standing areas it was due a deeply regretable error in judgement and poor policing. Im my opinion i think seating stadiums are more dangerous especially if you are in the away end. i remember when gabby scored his late winner at the sty and i must have piled over 6 rows of seats when he hit the back of the net. extremely dangerous compared to terracing. i remember my first experience of the holte end standing on a milk crate to watch us play west ham. you can't even get into most grounds with an umbrella these days let alone a milk crate!

:lol:

piling to the front was the problem at Hillsborough...

this is a great idea and i hope we can be the first to implement it. cheap tickets would bring the crowds back to villa, i think we could easily get 60,000 at villa for the big matches if people could get tickets for £10 a match.

if it meant more fans in the stands, many of which buying refreshments, i'd think they would be cheaper. if tickets were £1 how many could we attract to villa park? i'd make the trip every week. if we could make villa park 55,000 weekly with cheaper tickets and maintaining revenue i have no doubt the board would be happy. they must be aware that introducing standing when our average attendance is about 75% capacity and NOT reducing prices would have no real effect on attendance at all? and although we know the board have occasionally done great things that would not be financially beneficial, i would have thought this would have been an idea that is a win/win situation.

_57439565_standing.jpg

only down side to this type of standing is not being able to do a good old knees up mother brown where everyone piles down to the front!!

Open the space up to double the distance and ditch the seats, i think that would be the best situation all round.

If the atmosphere builds then fans want to go, it not just about winning, its the experience of being surrounded by 1000's of fans all willing the team to win, it could make poor players pull their bollox out to try and please, we may even get a home win...... ;-)

Ps "the right side" " lets all have disco" "lets go f***in mental" Classics, I remember the songs more than most of the games!

i like many dream of seeing an all standing holte again...unfortunately i cant see it ever happening. even if, and its a big if, the government allow it i don't think villa would convert such a large area. would safe standing improve the atmosphere really? the whole lower north stands but is silent most games

I think this thread alone provides just a small, but telling, insight into the fact that so many fans are disillusioned with how the game has gone. I think if we opened up, for example, half of the lower Holte to standing we would see a transformed Villa Park. In terms of atmosphere, attendance and everything that goes with it. So many fans would come back regularly to home games, as has been proven in other countries, which can only be for the good of the team.

Standing at the football is a long way overdue and many of us, me included, do it on a weekly basis anyway. It's about time we freed ourselves from the shackles of Hillsborough and got into the real world. It wasn't standing which caused that tragedy, and German and other European countries have proven for years that safe standing is safe, effective and worthwhile. It's a mystery why this hasn't come about sooner but if it's Aston Villa Football Club leading the charge for change then that makes me even prouder of our great Club and I back them all the way.

Bristol, for those that went, was like the good old days – standing on an open terrace with no jobsworth stewards looking out for stray bottle tops etc. Unfortunately I never got to stand on a terrace at Villa Park but as a youngster I regularly watched midweek Shrewsbury Town games, when Villa weren't playing, at the old Gay Meadow on the terrace and you simply cannot beat the feeling it creates. These new all seater stadia are completely souless and it's no wonder attendances have fallen everywhere.

Hilarious tbh

Think the club should be diverting their resources into creating an entertaining product on the pitch before they even think about standing area's

Dwindling attendances this season that will continue to get smaller should the same old turgid shit being played week in and week out continue

Seats or standing area's are useless if you do not have "bums" to fill them.

Perhaps the board should wait till the end of the season for such discussions considering the championship may have different policies on standing area's to that of the premier league

If anything sleeping area's should be introduced for those like myself falling asleep during matches

Â