ianrobo1

Do you believe in safe standing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in safe standing

• Yes
    • No

Do I want it to happen? Yes.

Will it ever happen? No.

Why the hell would the police risk it? At the moment they can monitor everybody in the crowd by CCTV, cameras are pointing at every seat and the people in those seats cant just disappear into the crowd. Back in the day somebody could run onto the pitch and if they made it into the crowd on the other side then they had escaped. I saw it several times at Villa Park.

Exactly what i was going to post. The police can keep an eye on everybody much easier. They can pick out the seat row and number, and then look at the clubs records for who's sat there. The police would have to work much harder to find that person without that information.

I'd love standing to return to top-flight football regardless.

The police will still be able to keep tabs on people . If you look at some of the modern terracing such as in the picture on page 2 , you can see that there are still seats included . Everyone will still be allotted their own position and not much will change except for the fact that you can now stand up all game.

The police will still be able to keep tabs on people . If you look at some of the modern terracing such as in the picture on page 2 , you can see that there are still seats included . Everyone will still be allotted their own position and not much will change except for the fact that you can now stand up all game.

For me this kills the argument stone dead.

The good thing about terracing was that you could meet up with your mates and have a bit of banter, regardless of when you bought your ticket.

If 'safe standing' is allotted positions, then you may as well just stick with seats.

It's about giving people the option though thetrees. At the moment people are not allowed to stand and there is no place for them to do so. You mightn't personally want to stand but unless you are actually against someone else doing it in a safe place, I think it should be allowed for those who want it. And an area set aside for them - which would doubtless get enough interest to warrant it's existence. I'd be of the opinion that if I'm not too fussed either way and it doesn't affect me and there's even a minority who want it and there's no harm to it, then let them have their fun.

At aways no-one sits down. At home games everyone has to. This is it for me. Standing up causes a better atmosphere. Standing in the Shed and sitting in the C&G at Glaws you can clearly notice the difference, bring in safe standing.

It's about giving people the option though thetrees. At the moment people are not allowed to stand and there is no place for them to do so. You mightn't personally want to stand but unless you are actually against someone else doing it in a safe place, I think it should be allowed for those who want it. And an area set aside for them - which would doubtless get enough interest to warrant it's existence. I'd be of the opinion that if I'm not too fussed either way and it doesn't affect me and there's even a minority who want it and there's no harm to it, then let them have their fun.

I am not attempting to be a party-pooper in this. The onus is on the campaigners for this to happen, and I find the argument pretty unconvincing.

Reading some of the posts in this thread, I am even less convinced.

One contributor uses the atmosphere of the Tranmere semi-final as an example. I sat in the Witton Lane Upper (sitting) for that game and it was rocking. My point is that the atmosphere that afternoon was brilliant regardless of whether you were standing or sitting, and no Villa fan has really had a game like that since.

During the latter years of terracing attendances were poor, and football grounds, VP included, were largely soulless and devoid of atmosphere.

Football cleaned up its act, the hoolies went, the cages went, the grounds were improved and they filled up. My memory hasn't faded enough not to realise that Villa Park has a far better atmosphere with 38000 all seated opposed to 23000 split between seating and terracing.

I just think that too much romance and misty nostalgia is associated with a campaign that could well be football's equivalent of CB radio*

*for our younger contributors, CB radio was an illegal, massive thing that everyone wanted and, from the moment it was legalised, it died a death.

You might’ve seen last week that the Football Supporters’ Federation launched a petition as part of our campaign for the introduction of safe standing areas in the top two divisions in England and Wales. If you have not yet signed the petition, and are in favour of a return to standing, please give us 30 seconds of your time visiting the link below. Also tell your friends. Tell your family. Tell your work colleagues that you don’t really like but who you put up with anyway. Please help us spread the word.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/safestanding

We know you might think that signing a petition is a bit of a futile gesture, but there is currently a bill going through Parliament which faces its second reading in a little under 3 months time. For the first time the Sports Minister has agreed to look at the evidence on safe standing. We have a short timeframe to gather support and prove that there is a groundswell of opinion behind fans’ choice to stand at football in England and Wales. This is the first time the FSF has petitioned on this issue, and within a week nearly 10,000 fans have already added their voices to our campaign. Please add yours today.

If you’re sceptical, read on below.

* If standing is unsafe, why is it allowed in Leagues One and Two? If it is safe in Leagues One and Two, why is it not safe in the top two divisions? We find the idea that safety is dependent upon the quality of football played on the pitch as absolutely absurd

* The FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign is not just about those who prefer to stand. By giving supporters the choice, everyone benefits. Those who wish to stand can do so, while those who prefer to sit no longer have to worry about having their view blocked. Every week thousands of fans stand in front of their seats for large parts of the game - attempts by the authorities to end this practice have failed. Fans are standing in ever greater numbers, and we think they should be able to do so in safely designed and managed areas where possible.

* The FSF does not propose that the stringent safety standards laid down in the Government’s Green Guide be abolished or weakened in any way, nor are we suggesting that clubs should be forced to provide safe standing areas. Issues around cost and feasibility should be a matter for individual clubs and their fans, not for the government.

* Many opponents to standing mistakenly cite Hillsborough as a reason not to allow its introduction. The disaster was not caused by standing, however; the Taylor Report primarily blamed the failure of police control. It did not ban standing, nor claim it was inherently unsafe.

If you agree with us that fans should have the choice to sit or stand at football, please add your name to the thousands already in favour of safe standing. Now’s the best chance we’ll have to make a difference.

In reality, the only reason why it is being so sceptically looked at by the authorities is that they don't want to have to put there neck on the line if by some chance anything did go wrong. If it was done properly, nothing could go wrong that couldn't already in seating, just some bureaucrat doesn't want to put his reputation in potential danger by having to receive the backlash from the few that do object.

Firmly for.

Better atmosphere. Just as safe.

In reality, the only reason why it is being so sceptically looked at by the authorities is that they don't want to have to put there neck on the line if by some chance anything did go wrong. If it was done properly, nothing could go wrong that couldn't already in seating, just some bureaucrat doesn't want to put his reputation in potential danger by having to receive the backlash from the few that do object.

Firmly for.

Better atmosphere. Just as safe.

This. I also think that they are afraid of upsetting Liverpool with this. Although they themselves seem to forget that their own supporters didn't exactly help matters at Hillsborough. Not to mention the trouble their supporters caused at Heysel. Yes, I went there...

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If the corner between the Holte & Trinity is the "test area", according to the mail, I don't see that raising the capacity very much!

Who'll be in favour currently?

Villa, Everton, Liverpool & Spurs 100%

Possibly...United, Ci£Y, Cheski, Wolves, WBA

Against: Arsenal, Bolton, Wigan, Swansea,

Just my thoughts on who'd back it!

Â