The return of Safe Standing Issue

ianrobo1

Do you believe in safe standing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in safe standing

• Yes
    • No

Yep, the mail have been skulking around on here

I read it on H&V's message board on Saturday, and the rumour's been going for a while anyway.

Im sure i read that Faulkner spoke about it at the supporters meeting on Saturday.

Im not being funny but what possible reason would anyone vote no? It's not like we'd be talking the whole ground, so if you don't fancy standing you don't buy at ticket in that area!

I hope this goes ahead.

I suppose, if someone has had a season ticket in a certain part of the ground for years, and they enjoy sitting to watch the game - they might not want that particular area to be changed to a standing area. Because they'd then have to stand if they wanted to watch the game.

There will definatly be people in each stand that prefer to sit on cold winter night matches!

There will definatly be people in each stand that prefer to sit on cold winter night matches!

Why? Its bloody colder sitting down. If you're standing you can jump about, move about and create warmth, sitting down in the cold is the bitter end...

If I was jumping and chanting, then I agree with you, but if we're losing 2-0 to Fulham and there's not a peep out of anyone, I'd prefer to sit down to warm up.

(That said, I voted 'Yes'... I'm just saying. That is the scenario where people could vote for 'No', if they don't want their view effected when they're happy sitting)

If this happens I might actually renew my season ticket for the standing area. At the moment 8 of us won't be! The lower North Stand would be perfect as its a converted terrace already. Infact don't pay contractors to rip the seats up I would imagine many of us would do that for nowt if it meant a chance to stand at Villa Park again.

My age has meant that I have no memory of terracing at all. I am a child of the All Seater Stadium.

I'm all for it, as long as it is properly policed and the numbers are well managed. The Germans seem to be able to make it work so why can't we?

I'd be very interested to see by how much it would raise capacity. By that I mean, the German stands can revert back to seating in most case I believe (seats are purely "locked"" when it's a standing game) What is the defence@

E.g Shalke East stand (seating used holds?)

Shalke East stand (terrace used holds?)

If this was to happen it would be the best thing to happen to football in years, I was brought up in the stands, the atmosphere generated has never been bettered.

Giving the game back to the fans who are at the ground. The Holte end rocked, i can see Dalian Atkinson heading that goal against Tranmere now, the Holte end jumped about 4 foot in the air, probably the best time in my Villa 'career', and I have been to a few finals.

If the whole of the Holte End were one day converted to safe standing, following the same guidelines used in the Bundesliga (two people per singe seat standing), the Holte could theoretically accommodate 26,944 people.

WOW! Though I'd say the upper Holte being standing is probably a non starter.

Not sure the split but I'd say there's a more seats downstairs, 7k perhaps, so maybe an increase of 7k in the stand.

So 14k roughly lower Holte & 6k seated upper. Cool, that would be almost the same capacity permitted for the old terrace in 94 @ 19k I believe?

It's already been given the green-light in Scotland.

The area pictured in the Mail is just for the trial run obviously they will extend if it's a success (lower Holte would be brilliant).

Poor atmosphere at matches isn't helping the Premier League product. All the commentators on the international feed were banging on about on Saturday was the poor atmosphere and how quiet it was. It's not just us it's most top clubs who suffer from this. They need to change the laws Hillsborough was a long time ago. Planes crash but they still continue to fly.

I voted 'yes' purely on nostalgic grounds. The Holte had a reputation for intimidating the visiting teams and fans alike, where now its just a pale shadow of its former glory. I'd love to see it somewhere back to what it was.......simply breathtaking.

The standing issue is negligible if I'm being honest, as the fans all round the ground stand up/sit down so many times anyway during a game its like a subconscious mexican wave! Seriously, though, the only stumbling block I can see that HAS been pointed out is that some people have had their ST in certain areas of the ground for a good many years and prefer to sit. Expecting them to up sticks and move to a part of the ground they don't want to be in might actually create more ill-feeling than you think (financial inducements apart).

If the whole of the Holte End were one day converted to safe standing, following the same guidelines used in the Bundesliga (two people per singe seat standing), the Holte could theoretically accommodate 26,944 people.

WOW! Though I'd say the upper Holte being standing is probably a non starter.

Not sure the split but I'd say there's a more seats downstairs, 7k perhaps, so maybe an increase of 7k in the stand.

So 14k roughly lower Holte & 6k seated upper. Cool, that would be almost the same capacity permitted for the old terrace in 94 @ 19k I believe?

if we're going by the german model, using rail seats, the increase in spectators is of a factor 1.8 to 1. not 2 to 1. in other words, a row of five seats can house 9 standing supporters, a row of ten seats can house 18 standing supporters, etc.

Â