2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Very much agree.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't etc...

... now where have I heard that used in defense of mediocrity before.... ?

Agreed. The fear of the unknown should not put us off.

You don't think there's a reason to be cautious about our next takeover?

Do you think anyone other than lerner would do?

I find it astonishing that anyone can have that view

Completely agree and it's certainly not comparable with Lambert. Lambert was losing every single game and we weren't scoring, so things couldn't really get much worse. Managers that we were linked with you couldn't really describe as "unknown" either. We all knew Sherwood was going to play an attacking style (though I'm sure none of us figured it would be this effective) and you sort of know what you will get from a manager, in terms of style at least.

But with an owner, you pretty much know nothing about them or their ambitions or how they will go about doing things. It's an absolute unknown. Plus, things can get worse than under Lerner.

And if we'd appointed the wrong manager, then worst case really is we get relegated and that manager gets sacked.

Selling the club to the wrong buyer would be so much more disastrous than that. The worst case scenario is miles MILES worse.

Very much agree.

I think its normal to be fairly cautious but I'd have to hear some horrendous things to really put me off.

I think there's a slim chance the next guy makes me see 5 consecutive years as bad as the last ones. I'm far more excited to move on from Lerner than scared it might be worse.

Lambert is a great example of why I'm excited for change.

Guest av1

This brings memories of Ray Ranson. Hopefully this bid/interest goes the same way as his.

Guest av1

Very much agree.

I think its normal to be fairly cautious but I'd have to hear some horrendous things to really put me off.

I think there's a slim chance the next guy makes me see 5 consecutive years as bad as the last ones. I'm far more excited to move on from Lerner than scared it might be worse.

Lambert is a great example of why I'm excited for change.

Is not having the money to buy the club not horrendous enough?

I can imagine Tony Adams wearing a Delboy medallion, scouring all the wine bars with begging bowl trying to talk all the rich yuppies into investing in the next big thing.

This time next year we'll be billionaires.

I'm not liking any of this one bit. People complain about Randy allegedly not putting money in (despite putting huge money in), and now there's talk of a loan to buy deal for us? I'll keep Mr. Lerner thanks

Agreed. Who knows what the capital structure of the club will be, but I doubt the debt will be in the form of shareholder loans; and there will definitely be no writing off of interest payments. This all sounds worrying.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I am actually quite upset by all this.  Just as we finally get a feel good factor back all this comes to destabilise us.   Timmy has been doing so well and Fox seems to be good too.  Whilst I really really wanted Randy out a few months ago, I had sort of come round to thinking it wouldn't be so bad if he stays now and backs Timmy in the transfer market.    I really don't want to be put into debt and for them just to bring some fancy foreign manager in .  Tim needs to be given a chance.   I hope all this doesnt' derail our survival in the Premier League - mind you then the deal probably wouldn't go ahead anyway.    I feel quite saddened by it all at the moment.  Hope someone else, decent, comes in for us and leaves Fox and particularly Tim Sherwood in place for the time being.

I'd be alright with Adams in a football role if the role was him dressing up in the lion mascot costume on game days.

I'd be alright with that too, only because I'd fully expect him to 'do a Balotelli' on it, put it on wrong and suffocate to death at his first attempt.

• Like 1

People saying Lerner wouldn't sell to just anyone, but I think he would if there was only one offer to chose from, just to get rid. Surprised at people now suddenly wanting him to stay just because we're going through a good spell on the pitch.

Is not having the money to buy the club not horrendous enough?

I seriously doubt the journalist reporting this, know the full financial details. Also, if Lerner cares for us as some claim surely he won't sell us to someone who will place debt on the club.

Hev I wouldn't worry too much about Tim. With his popularity and the job he's done I think new owners would stick with him. Also I'd imagine talks have been going on for a long time so there's a chance Sherwood was discussed with potential new owners when the decision was made.

My opinion on whats happening here:

I do believe there is a great deal of truth in Tony Adams involvement and the guys backing him have been linked before. 

Over the Christmas period we kept being linked to a group from Azerbaijan, rumours stuck around for a while and then seemingly disappeared. The group that was mentioned were called Gilan Holdings.

Tony Adams went to manage in Azerbaijan in 2010 for a season taking charge of a club called Gabala FK, which there is an interesting article about here -  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/tony-adams-a-mysterious-tycoon-and-their-grand-plan-for-smalltown-azerbaijan-1971212.html.

The article states the club would be given ''unlimited funds" for transfers and development.

It later came out that the club was owned by Gilan Holdings. 

This article was produced in January http://www.contact.az/docs/2015/Social/011900103420en.htm#.VUuvd4ffing which seems to indicate a man called Kamaladdin Heydarov was behind it all. 

A further article about him can be found here where he is described as 'the Abramovic of Azerbaijan'  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8299344/WikiLeaks-William-Harry-and-the-Abramovich-of-Azerbaijan.html

So basically it's all very feasible and these Azerbaijanis  (I presume thats that you call them!) are probably using Tony Adams as the head of there consortium as they will have a good relationship with him and they are probably new to British investment. A bit of Research on Gilan Holdings indicated they are involved in both oil and construction to name just two, so people who think this is instantly a bad thing should think again.

I also remember reading a while back about Azerbaijani ownership linked to players like Falcao when he moved to Monaco. 

So yeah, Tony Adams isn't exactly exciting but this whole thing could actually be sorta awesome. Or a disaster. Who knows. 

Plus our newish 'Chief Commercial Officer' Charlie Wijeratna has ties with Azerbaijan from working on the Baku Games.

Â