2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Before we praise Lerner for Fox's decision making over the past few months, can we see if we can stay up following the awful decisions made by Lerner - which include a four year contract for an under performing manager, helping put us in this situation.

left to his own devices, lerner is still a total train wreck

although bringing in fox may have been the best thing he's done since slapping some paint on the holte hotel

You're probably right, but that is a long stretch of stinking shit in the middle.

Before we praise Lerner for Fox's decision making over the past few months, can we see if we can stay up following the awful decisions made by Lerner - which include a four year contract for an under performing manager, helping put us in this situation.

left to his own devices, lerner is still a total train wreck

although bringing in fox may have been the best thing he's done since slapping some paint on the holte hotel

.........Need some of that paint for my house.lol

You're wrong about Houllier. It was almost 9 years after his heart trouble and 6 of those were spent as a manager. He didn't leave Lyon in 2007 for health reasons.

Didn't realise that.  I still think it was a poor decision as he was out of the game for a good few years though.  He really did come in and ruin most of the good things that were left by MON.

You're wrong about Houllier. It was almost 9 years after his heart trouble and 6 of those were spent as a manager. He didn't leave Lyon in 2007 for health reasons.

Didn't realise that. I still think it was a poor decision as he was out of the game for a good few years though. He really did come in and ruin most of the good things that were left by MON.

I don't think that's fair. He came in and implemented his own style with the players he had minus by far or best player of the previous season. A style which had started to pay dividends towards the end of his short reign.

I don't think the game had moved on at all between 2007 and 2010 to be honest.

• Like 1

Didn't realise that. I still think it was a poor decision as he was out of the game for a good few years though. He really did come in and ruin most of the good things that were left by MON.

I don't think that's fair. He came in and implemented his own style with the players he had minus by far or best player of the previous season. A style which had started to pay dividends towards the end of his short reign.

I thought he was very poor.  We went from having a top defence to conceding goals for fun and playing Young as a number 10 for most of the season was a very poor decision, we also became a team that just rolled over and died once going behind.

It did improve by the end and we had a strong finish but that linked in with Houllier being too ill to be around the club.  I thought it was a poor appointment when it happened and it was a miserable season to watch until the last few games.  Compared to the last few it was probably like watching barca week in week out but at the time it was a big drop from what we saw before and we had only lost Milner.

I am far from his biggest fan but even I can accept that he has been a little unlucky with his footballing decisions.

O'Neill, Houllier, Lambert. On the surface all three were solid choices and should have worked out much better than they did.

Houllier was not a solid option at all. The bloke hadn't managed in the prem for 6 years, had a dodgy heart and indeed couldn't actually manage us for about a week anyway as he had some sort of contract to see out with the French FA.

The prototype was right in terms of forward thinking continential manager but we just signed someone too old. I accept the timing was difficult that season but really for a club who'd just finished 6th three times we should've been aiming our sights a bit higher imo.

Lambert was a decent punt at the time but I think if Solsjaker had wanted the job he'd have got it instead and he didn't do great at Cardiff did he.

To me it was the managerial equivalent of us signing Schmiechel, Ginola and Pires. All brilliant players in the premier league but all way past their best when they rocked up here and it certainly showed on the pitch.

I'd have prefered us around that time to have just payed Whelan the 2-3m he wanted and signed Martinez up there and then. Or appointed McDonald as a stopgap (as I believe would've happened had we not had Newcastle 6-0) and then potted him later in the season when a better candidate came up, either domestically or abroad.

I never had a good feeling about Houllier coming in, I thought it was a appointment lacking imagination and we were fighting relegation that year until late April with overall a fair better squad than we have now. Young, Downing, Petrov, Friedel etc all regulars that season.

It's been a strange and horrible journey, I think winning the FA cup would make up for it. Although even that would be despite our chairman.

This idea that everything good = nothing to do with Lerner, everything bad = Lerner is getting a bit silly.

• Like 1

It's been a strange and horrible journey, I think winning the FA cup would make up for it. Although even that would be despite our chairman.

This idea that everything good = nothing to do with Lerner, everything bad = Lerner is getting a bit silly.

True. Our chairman hired Fox who hired Sherwood who has us playing our best football in years and we're in the FA Cup final. Our chairman, while playing with fire due to his own naivety and negligence, has ultimately balanced the books and currently has us in an enviable financial position, from many clubs' perspectives. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Saw this, not sure if it has been posted.

While in England the Chinese are rumoured to be ready to swoop on re-energised Aston Villa immediately after the FA Cup final on May 30. American owner Randy Lerner has been positioning the club for sale over the past couple of seasons.

Never saw the web site before, just a random link on NewsNow.

• Like 1

Try reading in context of previous posts. Cheers.

From Twitter:

“@SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: former #Arsenal captain Tony Adams is seeking backing for an Aston Villa takeover bid #AstonVilla”

Â