Midweek football 16/19 February

andykeenan

Roy and Gary saying what a professional Rooney is.

Yeah. Some **** professional tonight.

A striker is under no obligation to go out of his way to avoid an onrushing player. "He could have avoided him" does not make it a legal tackle. In my view that was a penalty and a stupid keeper regardless of whether contact was made, because if Rooney had continued his run without any corrections then he'd have been cleaned out of it.

But doesn't this mean that any time a player sidesteps a challenge or jumps over a slide tackle we'll have to give a foul?

Where do you draw the line?

Its almost "if that had been a foul it would have been a foul"

I know there's a line, but I think a 35mph head on collision is the other side of wherever you decide to draw that line.
It's an absolutely horrendous dive Brian.

I cannot believe some are defending this one.

A striker is under no obligation to go out of his way to avoid an onrushing player. "He could have avoided him" does not make it a legal tackle. In my view that was a penalty and a stupid keeper regardless of whether contact was made, because if Rooney had continued his run without any corrections then he'd have been cleaned out of it.

But what if he did make a correction? What if he sidestepped, or checked back and put it in the net?

You're effectively looking to punish something that didn't happen, or at most might have happened. Bonkers.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

The flip side is that a striker must take that absolute clobbering and risk a bad injury in order for the other player to have done anything wrong.

Either way. Hurdling the challenge and then throwing yourself to the floor isn't the right thing to do.

Shameful dive.

• Like 2

Looking at the vine yeah that's a dive. My general point stands though I think. It just doesn't apply to this particular instance. It was what used to happen to Bale when he was flying towards goal and guys used to just try and flatten him.

• Like 1

If your giving pens for that your taking away the keepers right to go to go to ground. Trying to avoid contact? Was he ****, he knew exactly what he was doing and the spineless studio guests dare not be critical of Rooney.

If your giving pens for that your taking away the keepers right to go to go to ground. Trying to avoid contact? Was he ****, he knew exactly what he was doing and the spineless studio guests dare not be critical of Rooney.

He was looking for contact if anything.

Pathetic dive

The keeper deserved the penalty against for a ridiculous challenge. I agree with BOF in terms of players avoiding being hurt but I'm not sure if apply it to Rooney in this case as he should not have then thrown himself to the ground when he could have stayed on his feet.

Â