Midweek football 16/19 February

andykeenan

This commentator waxing lyrical about if he doesn't touch the ball, it's not offside.

Excuse me sonny boy, but I believe the FA will disagree with you;

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position
Immediately thought Rooney was interfering. On 2nd watch, it's probably a good call to let that stand. The lucky lucky lucky gits.
I thought the keeper was waiting for a touch from Rooney which obviously never came but still affected his ability to save the shot.
He was waiting for a touch from a clearly offside player before attempted to make a save? He should play to the whistle then.

I dunno. My opinion is Rooney didn't obstruct the keepers view at any time, he wasn't impeding him at any point. Not an easy call, could definitely see it going the other way. I'm just leaning slightly more towards it being the right call.

The rule isn't impeding his sight. It's interfering with play.

Rooney has caused that goal to go in.

Was he challenging for the ball?

This commentator waxing lyrical about if he doesn't touch the ball, it's not offside.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

Immediately thought Rooney was interfering. On 2nd watch, it's probably a good call to let that stand. The lucky lucky lucky gits.
I thought the keeper was waiting for a touch from Rooney which obviously never came but still affected his ability to save the shot.
He was waiting for a touch from a clearly offside player before attempted to make a save? He should play to the whistle then.

I dunno. My opinion is Rooney didn't obstruct the keepers view at any time, he wasn't impeding him at any point. Not an easy call, could definitely see it going the other way. I'm just leaning slightly more towards it being the right call.

He appeared as if he was going to out the ball in the net before suddenly moving out of the way.

Again I'm not sure challenging for the ball has anything to do with it.

What he did was enough to distract the keeper.

• Like 1

he doesnt have to

sure we had a long discussion on this a few years ago when newcastle had a goal disallowed in a game vs man city or chelsea iirc

if you are close to the keeper or close to the flight path of the ball and influence his though process then you are interfering with play IMO

• Like 1

It's a really tricky one. I mean, the LAws of the Game give 14 helpful scenarios and explain why they are or aren't examples of offside. And in those 14 examples, they don't really cover this scenario, so it's for the referee to make a near-instant judgement on which of the scenarios it's most like.

he doesnt have to

sure we had a long discussion on this a few years ago when newcastle had a goal disallowed in a game vs man city or chelsea iirc

if you are close to the keeper or close to the flight path of the ball and influence his though process then you are interfering with play IMO

Not according to the laws of the game, as I read them.

“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball

It's a really tricky one. I mean, the LAws of the Game give 14 helpful scenarios and explain why they are or aren't examples of offside. And in those 14 examples, they don't really cover this scenario, so it's for the referee to make a near-instant judgement on which of the scenarios it's most like.

and it was unusual for dowd to give utd the benefit the doubt ;)

Â