Midweek football 16/19 February

andykeenan

This commentator waxing lyrical about if he doesn't touch the ball, it's not offside.

Excuse me sonny boy, but I believe the FA will disagree with you;

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

Immediately thought Rooney was interfering. On 2nd watch, it's probably a good call to let that stand. The lucky lucky lucky gits. 

This commentator waxing lyrical about if he doesn't touch the ball, it's not offside.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

Immediately thought Rooney was interfering. On 2nd watch, it's probably a good call to let that stand. The lucky lucky lucky gits.

I thought the keeper was waiting for a touch from Rooney which obviously never came but still affected his ability to save the shot.

Why? The goalkeeper clearly didn't dive because he thought Rooney would touch it. If rooney wasn't there he'd have saved it.

If that's not interfering with play then what is?

that quote about if you're not interfering with play then what are you doing on the pitch

turned it over for broadchurch anyway, how close was rooney? 6 yard box or further out?

I thought the keeper was waiting for a touch from Rooney which obviously never came but still affected his ability to save the shot.

He was waiting for a touch from a clearly offside player before attempted to make a save? He should play to the whistle then.

I dunno. My opinion is Rooney didn't obstruct the keepers view at any time, he wasn't impeding him at any point. Not an easy call, could definitely see it going the other way. I'm just leaning slightly more towards it being the right call.

He was waiting for a touch from a clearly offside player before attempted to make a save? He should play to the whistle then.

I dunno. My opinion is Rooney didn't obstruct the keepers view at any time, he wasn't impeding him at any point. Not an easy call, could definitely see it going the other way. I'm just leaning slightly more towards it being the right call.

The rule isn't impeding his sight. It's interfering with play.

Rooney has caused that goal to go in.

Â