The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Exactly.

I personally don't think three front the were good by any stretch, but I don't blame them solely for that. There was no link man and nobody bombing on with any consistency to create space for them.

We are in transition. Need to keep those heads cool.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Defence looks better and the midfield look good. Our best attacking players aren't fit or ready yet. Can't wait to see us when Grealish, Gil, Gestede and Traore are 100% fit.

Can't believe 'tactics tim' has come out after 2 games in which we've won 1 of them.

• Like 4

Just seen his post match interview. I really do love listening to the guy. Sums things up perfectly.

Agreed. Here's what he said for those that may not have seen it.

Manager Tim Sherwood spoke to the press immediately following the defeat to Man Utd.

Find his comments below.

On the game itself..

I didn't think there was too much in the game to be perfectly honest.

The goal was a little bit flukey. We left Mata with too much space and he picked a pass out and Januzai did very well but they got the deflection and that went for them.

Then you have an uphill task.

On the effort of his players…

The boys gave everything for the cause. They had nothing left.

They gave everything for these magnificent supporters who came along to cheer us on.

On the attacking threat…

We now need to find some more cutting edge. We didn't carry enough attacking threat unfortunately.

The attacking force wasn't there. I think largely due to personnel too.

We are missing some flair players in Gil, Grealish and the boy Adama, who we have just signed, who might give us that little cutting edge.

The boys who were out there today, I couldn't fault them.

On first half penalty appeal on Micah Richards…

I think we had a shout for the penalty. I haven't watched it back.

I think you can get them. Sometimes you do. Sometimes you don't.

I'm not going to be sticking pins in the referee. It's one of them. We didn't get it.

We got a deflection against us too. Someone wasn't shining on us.

On his new players gelling…

It will take time. They are trying to get acclimatised to England, let along Premier League football.

It will take time and we expected that.

But what they do give me is everything. They try and take instruction on. Sometimes it's not perfect. They will improve.

The idea is to get them on the training field and get them to gel.

On Rudy Gestede being fit to start soon…

Possibly. When he came on, we got a bit obsessed about lumping the ball up to him.

They obviously took their backline back and there was a lot of space in front of them and that's when we need to recognise that we can pass the ball.

On his mood…

There are a lot of things to improve on but I'm not too disheartened.

I think we will be okay.

I don't take winning on Saturday out of proportion and losing to Man Utd, with a couple of World Cup winners, isn't going to destroy my confidence either.

We will get better. I know that. And we need to.

On Friday Night Football…

It was good. The atmosphere was good.

It was just a shame that there was congestion on the roads.

And I was disappointed we couldn't send our fans home happy.

On weekend plans…

We will watch the other games.

We will get our rest and then prepare for a big game against Crystal Palace next weekend.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4933880,00.html

• Like 4

I thought he got the substitution horribly wrong. Sinclair was looking our most dangerous player in the second half, while Ayew was struggling. We seemed to be building some momentum at the time, and then it just went flat.

• Like 3

Yep. 

On his new players gelling…

It will take time. They are trying to get acclimatised to England, let alone Premier League football.

It will take time and we expected that.

But what they do give me is everything. They try and take instruction on. Sometimes it's not perfect. They will improve.

The idea is to get them on the training field and get them to gel.

On Rudy Gestede being fit to start soon…

Possibly. When he came on, we got a bit obsessed about lumping the ball up to him.

They obviously took their backline back and there was a lot of space in front of them and that's when we need to recognise that we can pass the ball.

Worth remembering that our new players are starting a new job in a foreign country, at very early ages. Big ask for them to turn it on immediately inside a cauldron with 40k fans.

His comments on Rudy and our play shows that he knows he still has work to do on the training ground, but all encouraging stuff backed with intelligent words. Seems that Tim is maturing as a manager in front of the press by the week.

I thought he got the substitution horribly wrong. Sinclair was looking our most dangerous player in the second half, while Ayew was struggling. We seemed to be building some momentum at the time, and then it just went flat.

To me it's one of those no-win situations. Sinclair was looking busy, but ineffective IMO. Ayew is clearly struggling to adapt to his new surroundings, but will surely take confidence from playing the full 90.

We'll never know, but Ithought  we rarely looked like scoring with either Sinclair or Ayew on the pitch, but I think that Sinclair is more robust in character to take being subbed in the first game of the season at VP. One of those lose the battle to win the war decisions.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

I don't like our how centre halves 'split' when we have a goal kick and I don't like how wide the fullbacks push up when we have the ball at the back. both are a recipe for disaster because Clark and Richards are not good enough on the ball to play like that.

To me it's one of those no-win situations. Sinclair was looking busy, but ineffective IMO. Ayew is clearly struggling to adapt to his new surroundings, but will surely take confidence from playing the full 90.

We'll never know, but Ithought we rarely looked like scoring with either Sinclair or Ayew on the pitch, but I think that Sinclair is more robust in character to take being subbed in the first game of the season at VP. One of those lose the battle to win the war decisions.

I would have preferred Ayew to go off instead of Sinclair but to suggest it was a game changer is far far off the mark.

Thought we gave utd too much respect. When we did have a go at utd, they looked shaky but unfortunately our quality in the final third was poor. Just heard Tims comments and altough I don't like him praising utd as title challenger, he does say we need to improve and it's good to hear that for once.

Edited by mikeyp102

I thought Man Utd parked the bus somewhat and a fresh squad still learning to communicate is always going to struggle to break that down..

As for Sherwood praising Utd as title challengers? He's only speaking the truth I mean it's clear as day that they will be at least Top 3 at the end of this thing unless something goes catastrophically bad for them. Sherwood can't be faulted for stating the obvious, I mean he's hardly going to say we're favourites cause one it would be a lie and two he's trying to dampen fan expectation not send every fan into a meltdown..

Thought he was refreshingly honest .

I think formation is fine , but maybe the wrong personnel for it currently

I agree, but I don't think it's the formation he wants to play. I think he wants at least one number 10 in there.

I think Gil will start next weekend by virtue of having some semblance of a preseason, Grealish will wait his turn as will Traore. I can't help but feel shit is about to get real.

I thought Man Utd parked the bus somewhat and a fresh squad still learning to communicate is always going to struggle to break that down..

As for Sherwood praising Utd as title challengers? He's only speaking the truth I mean it's clear as day that they will be at least Top 3 at the end of this thing unless something goes catastrophically bad for them. Sherwood can't be faulted for stating the obvious, I mean he's hardly going to say we're favourites cause one it would be a lie and two he's trying to dampen fan expectation not send every fan into a meltdown..

Don't think utd are all that, think they'll get fourth but nothing else. But yes I agree about us not bring favourites and them obviously better than us

Tactically, he got it wrong yesterday. I've no idea why he thought that three up front, which was ultimately shit against Bournemouth would actually produce anything against a better side. Lambert used to get dog's abuse for persevering with things that clearly weren't going to work. 

Like the team, he's young and he's learning but as a manager, there's a lot less leeway than there is for a player. 

Its his second game with players that he has purchased. That combined with a couple of players absent through injury or not starting due to fitness issues, plus potentially more signings to come soon means that the line up in a months time, from an attacking perspective, might look completely different. 

I don't like our how centre halves 'split' when we have a goal kick and I don't like how wide the fullbacks push up when we have the ball at the back. both are a recipe for disaster because Clark and Richards are not good enough on the ball to play like that.

Agree. Nerve wracking as it's pretty easy for the opposition to close down.

Â