The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Honestly, I'm not paying all that much attention to those 3 games, bad and all as they were. IMO, for better or worse, once we were safe (and in the players' eyes, I'm sure we were safe after the win against West Ham), the focus, pressure and massive sense of weight on the players' shoulders would've disappeared. We might not like it as fans, but these guys are human, and they went from being under incredible pressure, to being safe, and when you're not massively experienced, that'll take a toll on performances.

I'm more interested in seeing how we come out of the blocks in August. I don't care about those 3 games any more, they're gone. If we continue in that vein, though, I'll obviously not be happy - I just don't think they're necessarily any indication of how we'll fare next season.

What I think IS a fair indication is Sherwood's overall league record with us so far, which is 5 wins, 1 draw and 7 defeats in 13 games. Over a season, that amounts to just under 15 wins, 3 draws and 21 defeats, or 48 points - which is the points target I expect this team in its current state, to be able to contest realistically next season under Sherwood

Edited by P3te

Honestly, I'm not paying all that much attention to those 3 games, bad and all as they were. IMO, for better or worse, once we were safe (and in the players' eyes, I'm sure we were safe after the win against West Ham), the focus, pressure and massive sense of weight on the players' shoulders would've disappeared. We might not like it as fans, but these guys are human, and they went from being under incredible pressure, to being safe, and when you're not massively experienced, that'll take a toll on performances.

I'm more interested in seeing how we come out of the blocks in August. I don't care about those 3 games any more, they're gone. If we continue in that vein, though, I'll obviously not be happy - I just don't think they're necessarily any indication of how we'll fare next season.

What I think IS a fair indication is Sherwood's overall league record with us so far, which is 5 wins, 1 draw and 7 defeats in 13 games. Over a season, that amounts to just under 15 wins, 3 draws and 21 defeats, or 48 points - which is the points target I expect this team in its current state, to be able to contest realistically next season under Sherwood[/quote

Pete you may well be right in your assessment and I sincerely hope you are.....I have always been of the belief you are only as good as your worst performance......good/ decent teams don't go down to those low levels.

I am concerned about those 3 games....and if you can't motivate yourself for a cup final, I'm not sure what hope there is.

I think Tim has a massive job.

Well iam so glad it's Tim Sherwood that is our manager next season and not Paul Lambert, he did a great job in getting us to stay in the PL.

Iam excited to see what he can do with our young players next season.

• Like 2

What I think IS a fair indication is Sherwood's overall league record with us so far, which is 5 wins, 1 draw and 7 defeats in 13 games. Over a season, that amounts to just under 15 wins, 3 draws and 21 defeats, or 48 points - which is the points target I expect this team in its current state, to be able to contest realistically next season under Sherwood

The thing is, P3te, I can understand the Burnley match, but we were not safe for the Southampton match, so that match, and the cup final, we should certainly have been up for, so that is a worry for me.

• Like 2

Don't underestimate the mental fatigue the players were released from. I honestly think once they were safe they completely flagged mentally. Like I say though, let's see how it goes in august

• Like 2

Spurs were trashed plenty of times under AVB and Sherwood yet still finished 6th as they won plenty of games.

As long as you don't go drawing games to death you can be comfortable in this league losing a few.

To me if Sherwood had a full season with Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley, Benteke as his spine we'd finish mid table quite comfortably, maybe even sneaking top half.

Having to probably replace three of those....big task I accept that especiallly for a rookie who's yet to complete a transfer. 

Logic thing is at least to reserve judgement until early August and see what state of team we have ready for 15/16.

I don't think you can isolate games like that.

This season a lot of the things were decided early, as such we had a run of games v teams with nothing to play for. thats where we got the points to stay up.

Im really worried for next season- I think Sherwoods up and at em has a very short shelf life, and he seems to keen to dispense with senior players who could still do a job for us.

This couldn't be more correct.  And I couldn't have put it better myself.

We would have been a lot more comfortable earlier if Leicester didnt go on a title winning run and Sunderland got points handed to them.

Last 2.5 games(Burnley was a dead rubber) werent great but doesnt diminish the job he has done for the club

• Like 1

Pete I just can't agree with your first paragraph.

We weren't safe against Southampton. Far from it. Results don't go our way in the 3pm kick offs and we're in the bottom 3.

And if players can't be motivated for the club's first FA cup final in 15 years then I don't know what to say.

1 game out of the 3 were 'nothing' games.

• Like 4

We weren't safe against Southampton. Far from it. Results don't go our way in the 3pm kick offs and we're in the bottom 3.

And if players can't be motivated for the club's first FA cup final in 15 years then I don't know what to say.

1 game out of the 3 were 'nothing' games.

Looking back i dont think the players werent motivated more that they froze on the big occasion and a team like Arsenal would have done that to any team on the day

And we had a lot of late goals go against us, so we could have been even more comfortably safe. 

You cannot really look at it that way, though, unless you also want to consider the number of sitters other teams missed against us? Then there are the one on ones we missed? And late goals count the same as early goals, no matter what stage of the game the trick is to keep the ball out of the net.

My point? Swings and roundabouts, it is as it is.

Honestly, once we beat West Ham we were safe to an almost certain degree. So many unlikely things would've needed to happen in unison from that point for us to go down. IMO that's the point where the players knew it was done

This season a lot of the things were decided early, as such we had a run of games v teams with nothing to play for. thats where we got the points to stay up.

Im really worried for next season- I think Sherwoods up and at em has a very short shelf life, and he seems to keen to dispense with senior players who could still do a job for us.

Look on the bright side though, under Sherwood we've started beating teams like Spurs, Everton and West Ham again, all three teams who we had ridiculously bad records against under Lambert.

Those are the sort of teams we need to be beating if we're to finish in the top half again.

• Like 1

Look on the bright side though, under Sherwood we've started beating teams like Spurs, Everton and West Ham again, all three teams who we had ridiculously bad records against under Lambert.

Those are the sort of teams we need to be beating if we're to finish in the top half again.

And Liverpool 

and we've never played that well at the Etihad before, not in the league anyway. 

Â