The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Some absolute classic posts on the first 10 pages of this thread and in the new manager thread back when Sherwood was first linked. Funnily enough the same people who posted such classics seem to be the ones that want to be critical the first time something goes really wrong. Strange that.

Strange... And probably untrue. I was all for Sherwood when he joined, as I'm a very 'glass half full' Villa fan. But I see no issue in criticising Sherwood for yesterday's result.

Yes, this was bound to happen with the way Sherwood sets us up, and therefore I'm happy with 4/5 wins and a hammering, but that doesn't mean we can't be critical Jonah. Neither does the fact that we happened to be safe because of other results later in the day.

You're basically insinuating that we can congratulate him for the wins that got us to safety (safety that we got to, because of points that other teams dropped) but we can't criticise him for a loss, because other team dropped points which made is safe. It's a very biased way of looking at things.

I'm not saying you can't it just seems pointless and I'm not sure why people want to (actually, after reading a few old posts I can see why some do) 

If that result happened a few weeks ago or happens at the start of next year, I'd completely get it and understand it but after a fantastic run of results that got us safe and to a cup final I don't see the point.  People can be critical if they want though.  

Like I said above, to me it's like being critical of Benteke because he isn't amazing all of the time.  For the most part he's brilliant so I can easily live with the odd times he isn't.

Some absolute classic posts on the first 10 pages of this thread and in the new manager thread back when Sherwood was first linked. Funnily enough the same people who posted such classics seem to be the ones that want to be critical the first time something goes really wrong. Strange that.

Strange... And probably untrue. I was all for Sherwood when he joined, as I'm a very 'glass half full' Villa fan. But I see no issue in criticising Sherwood for yesterday's result.Yes, this was bound to happen with the way Sherwood sets us up, and therefore I'm happy with 4/5 wins and a hammering, but that doesn't mean we can't be critical Jonah. Neither does the fact that we happened to be safe because of other results later in the day.You're basically insinuating that we can congratulate him for the wins that got us to safety (safety that we got to, because of points that other teams dropped) but we can't criticise him for a loss, because other team dropped points which made is safe. It's a very biased way of looking at things.

I'm not saying you can't it just seems pointless and I'm not sure why people want to (actually, after reading a few old posts I can see why some do)  If that result happened a few weeks ago or happens at the start of next year, I'd completely get it and understand it but after a fantastic run of results that got us safe and to a cup final I don't see the point.  People can be critical if they want though.   Like I said above, to me it's like being critical of Benteke because he isn't amazing all of the time.  For the most part he's brilliant so I can easily live with the odd times he isn't.

That's what we all bloody think ffs! It's just that we still like to discuss what went wrong yesterday. Y'know, good with the bad? You getting this?

This is futile isn't it :(

it's like being critical of Benteke because he isn't amazing all of the time.  For the most part he's brilliant so I can easily live with the odd times he isn't.

So if Benteke tries a diving header to take a penalty in the Burnley game we can't call him a clearing in the woods for trying it because he's great?

Strange... And probably untrue. I was all for Sherwood when he joined, as I'm a very 'glass half full' Villa fan. But I see no issue in criticising Sherwood for yesterday's result.Yes, this was bound to happen with the way Sherwood sets us up, and therefore I'm happy with 4/5 wins and a hammering, but that doesn't mean we can't be critical Jonah. Neither does the fact that we happened to be safe because of other results later in the day.You're basically insinuating that we can congratulate him for the wins that got us to safety (safety that we got to, because of points that other teams dropped) but we can't criticise him for a loss, because other team dropped points which made is safe. It's a very biased way of looking at things.
I'm not saying you can't it just seems pointless and I'm not sure why people want to (actually, after reading a few old posts I can see why some do)  If that result happened a few weeks ago or happens at the start of next year, I'd completely get it and understand it but after a fantastic run of results that got us safe and to a cup final I don't see the point.  People can be critical if they want though.   Like I said above, to me it's like being critical of Benteke because he isn't amazing all of the time.  For the most part he's brilliant so I can easily live with the odd times he isn't.

That's what we all bloody think ffs! It's just that we still like to discuss what went wrong yesterday. Y'know, good with the bad? You getting this?

This is futile isn't it :(

I actually joined in with part of the discussion on what went wrong but there really wasn't much of one.  It was just people who were ridiculously critical of him before he even became manager, saying how much he **** up and putting the blame on him. 

What is the cutoff point for the number of 6-1 losses we can suffer before we're allowed to criticize them?

You can do it whenever and how ever much you like.  Just seems strange you're so eager to do it the same day he achieved the difficult goal set for him.

it's like being critical of Benteke because he isn't amazing all of the time.  For the most part he's brilliant so I can easily live with the odd times he isn't.

So if Benteke tries a diving header to take a penalty in the Burnley game we can't call him a clearing in the woods for trying it because he's great?

Bit of an extreme scenario.  

What is the cutoff point for the number of 6-1 losses we can suffer before we're allowed to criticize them?

You can do it whenever and how ever much you like.  Just seems strange you're so eager to do it the same day he achieved the difficult goal set for him.

Yeah, strange that people might want to discuss how and why we lost 6-1 on a day when we lost 6-1.

• Like 3

Because they are mutually exclusive??? Granted, they wouldn't have been had Hull won and I wonder if it would have been strange then.

What would happen if we weren't safe right now. Would it be okay then to criticize certain aspects of a game in which we lost 6-1? Would you still be bringing up posts from the beginning of this thread. Or a list of who liked which post on page 87 in alphabetical order to show  that you find something to be a bit 'strange'?

Yeah he's done brilliantly to keep us up however yesterday was shit.

You're criticizing yesterday's game, but admit that he's done brilliantly to keep us up as well?

this_does_not_compute_gif_by_cliopadra13

Anyone would think Sherwood had won us every match before yesterday and that when he joined we were ten points adrift of safety. I'm sure I read somewhere that he first came in Leicester were fifteen points behind us. He's done well to keep us in the division but he isn't beyond being criticized after an utterly embarrassing defeat.

• Like 2

Yeah, strange that people might want to discuss how and why we lost 6-1 on a day when we lost 6-1.

He asked when he can criticize. I find that strange that the day we achieve safety and a week before we play in a cup final he got us to, someone is asking when they can criticize.  And as I said to Ingram, there doesn't seem to be much of a discussion.

What would happen if we weren't safe right now. Would it be okay then to criticize certain aspects of a game in which we lost 6-1? Would you still be bringing up posts from the beginning of this thread. Or a list of who liked which post on page 87 in alphabetical order to show  that you find something to be a bit 'strange'?

Well that's different scenario.  And you said or liked daft comments regarding sherwood before he joined, so it's no surprise you ask when it's ok to criticize him.  

Don't know if this accurate but I read yesterday that in 42 games in charge of VIlla and Tottenham he's won 21 of those.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.  He had a very good record at spurs and a has a good record here.

We most likely would've been relegated if we'd kept with Lambert but that has nothing to do with today's result. Sherwood messed up and deserves criticism today for it.

Haha why? We've survived, job complete. Today's result means nothing.

Why some are so eager to want to have a go at him is beyond me.

Still want Gill here ahead of him?

Why are you so surprised that people are criticising one of the worst villa performances many of us have ever seen?
Because it makes no difference. I keep reading he deserves criticism. Why? Why do you want to go out of your way to criticise him. He's done a great job and completed the difficult task set for him. Why do you want to criticise him after that? What do you get from it after we've survived?

Its not his team, its not something he's built over years. He's come into a difficult situation and been excellent. It hasn't always been great. So what?

But nobody is criticising the job he's done. Everyone is agreeing he's done an excellent job.

But that doesn't mean we're not allowed to criticise anything. That's blind faith.

Which is the irony.

You can't seem to understand that people can be 100% behind the manager and still constructively criticise performances.

Just like under the previous manager you couldn't understand people wanting him out but not thinking absolutely everything he did was bad.

Not everything is black and white. I'm behind Sherwood. He's done an excellent job and its overwhelmingly positive.

But that doesn't mean I can't see how terrible we were yesterday. It doesn't change how I judge what he's done with the club.

The irony is the amount of times you accused people of blindly following Lambert and not being able to see the negatives. And that's exactly what you're doing with Sherwood.

Not at all, I can see the negatives from yesterday. It was awful. But this wasn't a mid season game that has a lot of meaning to it. This isn't a squad he's spent years putting together and working with.

Every manager and every player is going to have bad days, it happens to all of them. I just don't see the point in being critical of the odd bad game when for the most part things are going brilliantly.

It would be like being critical of Benteke for his performance yesterday. What's the point being critical of one bad game when for the most part he's been brilliant. Same with someone like westwood, delph and cleverly. Absolutely pointless getting on them for a poor performance yesterday because they've been absolutely fantastic recently.

You want to criticise after achieving his goal, go right ahead. To be honest the people who are and who like posts like yours are the ones who were critical of him before he even managed his first game and are the ones who have made some daft comments towards him early on as well, so it's not a surprise.

For me i'll focus on the fantastic job he's done keeping us up and proving all the doubters wrong, or the ones who thought no one could do any better than the previous manager. There will be bad results and bad performances because it happens to everyone, but as long as they're rare it's not an issue for me.

This is mental.

Basically what you're saying is if a manager or player is generally doing well, we're not allowed to ever criticise anything they do.

So you literally do see everything as black or white. Good or bad.

It explains a lot.

• Like 1

Â