The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Whilst true, the previous manager had the old injuries/spending excuse as a reply for 'bad fortune', where-as Sherwood has had injuries too and has spent **** all.

I find it interesting how long it took Lambert to start getting serious criticism and how quickly some want to give it to Sherwood.

Mate, we just got smashed 6-1. Lambert took a hammering after the Chelsea 8-0 and rightly so. However, he is also getting lots and lots of praise for the work he had done. Again rightly so.

We are Premier League thanks to him. It's still OK to be annoyed at taking a pasting yesterday, especially those who travelled and nobody is calling "Sherwood Out" because of it!

• Like 1

Today's result and performance could actually be a bit of a blessing in disguise. You wonder if some over confidence had crept in to some of the players following our recent good run and this will remind them ( and Tim ) that nothing can be taken for granted. I think it's also nigh on impossible that we can play this badly again this season so at least we've got that performance out of the way in a game we didn't need to win, rather than in the cup final which would be far more humiliating!

A lesson for Sherwood yesterday, and perversely its a good way to find out about your players too, shows whats really needed at the club [investment]. Just glad Hull lost because not sure how nervous we would be on the final day if it was on a knife edge.

So glad he is at the helm, convinced we would be bottom and gone already under Lambert.

• Like 1

Has to be given credit for keeping us up,like his style and flair attacking football if sometimes a little gung ho for me. Would say he needs a bad cop to assist because it can not always be rosies and sunlight, someone to bounce the tactical ideas and substitutions of along with bringing discipline to this club. Has done the job we all wanted but you cannot stand still in this game and hard decisions have to be made with an overall of all our players and tough exits for some. Fairwell to lambo years and a better year ahead.

Whilst true, the previous manager had the old injuries/spending excuse as a reply for 'bad fortune', where-as Sherwood has had injuries too and has spent **** all.

I find it interesting how long it took Lambert to start getting serious criticism and how quickly some want to give it to Sherwood.

I think Sherwood made mistakes today, luckily it didn't matter. The interesting thing (and something we should all look for) is how the team reacts next week. Yes it is a nothing game, but in a way that makes it even more important to see how they react. Under the previous manager, we'd go on really awful runs where we would lose a lot of games and play really poorly. So, all eyes on next week.

Not sure the Burnley match will tell us much. I think he will rest players.

Think alot of today can also be put down to FA cup syndrome, players believed they were safe, they did not put 100% into today not wanting an injury, It may also be a poor match next week unless Sherwood drops a few and plays others with a point to prove. I can understand this mentality and it has been seen with other teams throughout history. Just forget today and lets look forward to the final and next season.

• Like 1

Full credit to Tim and the boys, I thought we were certain for the drop after the Stoke game. Yesterday was a minor blot on a terrific few months for us under TS, we have a great opportunity to atone for it in the coming weeks.

I am really excited about the FA Cup Final and the upcoming new season. Thank you for restoring our pride and confidence in a short space of time.

• Like 2

Maximum respect due for keeping up a team that had become an utter shambles. We were a shadow of a football club, to achieve what he has in such a short time frame is excellent work.

Horrible result yesterday, everything that could go wrong did. But let's get out there next week, put Burnley to the sword, rebuild that confidence and go win ourselves the FA Cup.

Nice one Tim Sherwood.

it.gif

Mate, we just got smashed 6-1. Lambert took a hammering after the Chelsea 8-0 and rightly so. However, he is also getting lots and lots of praise for the work he had done. Again rightly so.

We are Premier League thanks to him. It's still OK to be annoyed at taking a pasting yesterday, especially those who travelled and nobody is calling "Sherwood Out" because of it!

I think those who travelled have a right to be annoyed but like I said, as soon as the spurs whistle went the result is meaningless. Its been a hard task, that didn't look achievable a few months back. Now it has been, along with getting us playing great stuff and to a cup final I have no idea why anyone (apart from those that went) would want to focus on it or criticise the manager for it.

A result that will probably reinforce in Sherwood's mind what our team needs for next season in order to be far more competitive,Sherwood has done a brilliant job in a short time and with the backing of Tom Fox and some shrewd investment we can look forward to better times.

I think those who travelled have a right to be annoyed but like I said, as soon as the spurs whistle went the result is meaningless. Its been a hard task, that didn't look achievable a few months back. Now it has been, along with getting us playing great stuff and to a cup final I have no idea why anyone (apart from those that went) would want to focus on it or criticise the manager for it.

Because this is a forum and it's a place for everyone to vent their opinions on the manager, good or bad? 

I don't think only fans who went to the game have the right to criticise, we're all villa fans. 

Gonna be a busy bee shifting the dead wood or sorting out new contracts. 

Think we will have about 15 players going into the last year of their deals!

I've just realised it was a great move by Tim. He knew Hull would lose today so fixed it so we get battered. If we finished on a massive high, Lerner or 'someone else' might think that the players we've got are good enough. Now he's put some doubt in there, to bump the transfer money up.

GENIUS!

• Like 1

Won't that be Fox doing all that based on Sherwood's suggestions?

So only those that went have the right to be annoyed? What a ridiculous thing to say.  Just because you don't care about Villa being humiliated yesterday does not mean everyone has to follow suit.

People are maybe focusing on it because the result was far from meaningless. In two weeks time we've got a huge game in the FA cup final. We're playing one of the best teams in the league and the confidence we've built up since the baggies double will be a big factor. The defeat, and more importantly the manner of the defeat, yesterday is very likely to have an effect.

Sherwood has done a tremendous job so far, but that does not mean he's immune from criticism. It's not like it was just a defeat, we were ripped apart by a side who had one point from their last four games. If the team, and management, perform like that against Arsenal it will be a massacre.

• Like 1

Won't that be Fox doing all that based on Sherwood's suggestions?

No-no, Remember its MONS Fault!  ;)

I think Sherwood made mistakes today, luckily it didn't matter. The interesting thing (and something we should all look for) is how the team reacts next week. Yes it is a nothing game, but in a way that makes it even more important to see how they react. Under the previous manager, we'd go on really awful runs where we would lose a lot of games and play really poorly. So, all eyes on next week.

Not sure the Burnley match will tell us much. I think he will rest players.

Can he afford to rest players now?  Do we want players running out for the cup final with their last performance being yesterdays debacle?

To take a positive from this, it will be a massive wake up call.

I think, in hindsight, the blame should rest firmly with the players. Nobody really came out of this with any credit. The back 4 in particular need to hold their hands up this morning, they were quite frankly abysmal.

I have criticised both Clark and Baker in the past. I now think they're beginning to mature (not the finished article by a long way-Central defenders never are until mid to late 20's) Okore is another who is very young and will struggle for consistancy. We will see performances from him like yesterdays. Vlaar was also woeful yesterday

One minor criticism from me (I will always go with TS though) is Givens selection. He has been no better than Guzan-Worse if anything. I can't help but think that paert of the reason for selecting him was to give hi, game time in the run up to the final. Guzans howler at Man City was not really a goalkeeping error, it was a ridiculous decision to use his weaker foot to play a moving ball across his own line. Given for me has made goalkeeping errors-The Everton 2nd goal for example was very poor goalkeeping.

Anyway-Onwards and forwards. Roll on the pre-Wembley party next week, followed by a cup final on the 30th.

Well done Tim. You've achieved your short term target and got a cup final to look forward to as well. If we can maintain the win ratio next season, we will end up with far less teams above us in the table than there are below.

• Like 1

Â