The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Puzzled why Sherwood couldn't get 100% out of all the players today on his first game.

Thing is, what would a player, conditioned to playing under Paul Lambert, and badly lacking in self-confidence after a lousy run of matches, look like giving 100%?  Not all 100% performances look the same!

IMO only benteke and gabby looked like they were giving less than 100% though.

I think it is more like the England cricket team, stuck with Cooke for too long, chopped and changed tactics, a couple of p!Ayers look disinterested, and the whole team is affected.

That's why I'm hoping the change will have the right effect ax soon as he decides who's right and who's not.

What is wrong with you people? We have lost the game due a stupid schoolboy individual error done by our captain. Stoke did not play well, because we did not allow them to play well. We have had better chances after all.

If Weimann had better crossing or passing, it would be three points.

Players to drop: Agbonlahor, Sanchez, Weimann, Cissokho (if possibe)

Players on: Cleverley, Westwood, Grealish and Richardson (if possible).

I said this earlier in the thread, when a new manager comes in you generally see a win because the whole team play at 100% trying to prove themselves to the new manager. Today this didn't happen, maybe 6-7 of the players on the pitch did not perform as well as we have seen. To me this is worrying, an shows the players commitment to our club is half hearted.. Sherwood and, or the players need to change this quickly because if they don't, you may as well place your bets now, that we will definately go down.

Proves to me that we dont have the players many think we have.

• Like 3

I said this earlier in the thread, when a new manager comes in you generally see a win because the whole team play at 100% trying to prove themselves to the new manager. Today this didn't happen, maybe 6-7 of the players on the pitch did not perform as well as we have seen. To me this is worrying, an shows the players commitment to our club is half hearted.. Sherwood and, or the players need to change this quickly because if they don't, you may as well place your bets now, that we will definately go down.

Disagree, I thought the effort level was good.  As I said before, the difference was the lack of a midfield engine once Gil went off because we were too imbalanced.  We essentially played a 4-2-4, the middle of the pitch was dominated by Stoke and we played a lot of long balls which suits Stoke.

I know we all thought that Sherwood having a "kind" run of fixtures initially would be a good thing but... maybe not?  I mean, he won't know what his best team is yet and will (presumably) be tinkering with it over the coming games.  That's a worry as these are the games where, on paper, we'd be most likely to pick up points.

If we play Sanchez, we need to play a central 3 which likely means that Benteke is up top alone with 2 of Sinclair/Gil/Bacuna/Grealish/Weimann/whoever playing as wide forwards.  Basically, the formation Lambert seemed to favour and, based on this, probably the balance we have in the squad.  If we're going to play 2 up top, for me, it should be Benteke and Weimann but with Weimann sitting off Benteke a bit and making runs off him.  Probably our strongest central attacking option?  Then Sinclair/Gil out wide and Delph and Westwood or Cleverley in the middle of the park.

The first half today was decent and Stoke weren't really in the game.  The second half was the complete opposite.  Vlaar's error aside, we'd be looking at a fairly decent point.  Certainly not all doom and gloom.

• Like 1

Today was my most depressing day as a Villa fan of 25 years. Watching our shiit team huff and puff, the realisation on Tim's face we're shiit, his face spoke a thousand words. He couldn't even muster anything to shout at the players. The effort was there, but the footballing nounce isn't. 

Sad times.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 2

Disagree, I thought the effort level was good.  As I said before, the difference was the lack of a midfield engine once Gil went off because we were too imbalanced.  We essentially played a 4-2-4, the middle of the pitch was dominated by Stoke and we played a lot of long balls which suits Stoke.

I know we all thought that Sherwood having a "kind" run of fixtures initially would be a good thing but... maybe not?  I mean, he won't know what his best team is yet and will (presumably) be tinkering with it over the coming games.  That's a worry as these are the games where, on paper, we'd be most likely to pick up points.

If we play Sanchez, we need to play a central 3 which likely means that Benteke is up top alone with 2 of Sinclair/Gil/Bacuna/Grealish/Weimann/whoever playing as wide forwards.  Basically, the formation Lambert seemed to favour and, based on this, probably the balance we have in the squad.  If we're going to play 2 up top, for me, it should be Benteke and Weimann but with Weimann sitting off Benteke a bit and making runs off him.  Probably our strongest central attacking option?  Then Sinclair/Gil out wide and Delph and Westwood or Cleverley in the middle of the park.

The first half today was decent and Stoke weren't really in the game.  The second half was the complete opposite.  Vlaar's error aside, we'd be looking at a fairly decent point.  Certainly not all doom and gloom.

Benteke still lazy, Sanchez kept losing the ball, delph no skills no control, Gabby non existant, Gil, ok maybe still injured, Sissokho can;t cross for shit. Poor throws no one looking for the ball, static midfield, Corners, who can't get a corner in the box?? There's a whole lot of work to be done here and I don't think we have the time. Like I said we have seen much better than this, or have we????

• Like 1

My fear is that Sherwood has little or no experience of relegation as a player or coach. As far as I remember his playing career was at a ambitious Blackburn, Spurs, and Pompey when they went up. It takes certain qualities to motivate players  to make them fight  to get much needed points to stay up. I hope he can do it.

Our problems ran much deeper than lambert. Where was the energy from the players today? Absolutely no desire to impress the new boss at all. Sherwood has one hell of a job on his hands.

The problems stem from the chairman's desire to run a Premier League squad on a Championship wage bill. This is 5 years in the making and entirely Randy Lerner's fault.

• Like 4

This might sound overly negative but I think we probably would have been just as well giving the Manager's job to Macdonald. As I've said if we go down I can see him eventually taking over anyway.

Our problems ran much deeper than lambert. Where was the energy from the players today? Absolutely no desire to impress the new boss at all. Sherwood has one hell of a job on his hands.

The problems stem from the chairman's desire to run a Premier League squad on a Championship wage bill. This is 5 years in the making and entirely Randy Lerner's fault.

The problems actually stem from massive overspending on a wish to achieve Champions League football and paying people such as Habib Beye £40k/wk in the process.

The problems actually stem from massive overspending on a wish to achieve Champions League football and paying people such as Habib Beye £40k/wk in the process.

And who's fault was that? The bloody chairman's, and the buck stops with him. 5 years of cutbacks and decline and here we are today, 2nd from bottom.

• Like 2

As I always said in the Lambert thread, changing managers makes no difference.

Our problem is the level of investment in the squad for the last few years. We have been spending less than even the promoted teams for a while now.   

Disagree with both points.

Changing managers may well make a difference. 

Our problem is not the lack of investment in the squad. As an example we have spent about double the amount Stoke have in the last 3 seasons yet they have 14 points more than us. We've spent almost £50m more than Burnley over the same period and they are above us too.

What we have failed to do is buy the right players, get them set up in the right system, buy players in all the positions we need and get a manager to get the best out of them.

Let's hope Sherwood is that man. Really hope he can keep us up.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

Â