The Possession Game

CrackpotForeigner

I'd be interested to know just how many people find possession football interesting to watch anyway. I mean proper possession football, not this bastardised tripe Villa offer up.

I personally don't care much for it.

bastardised lol classic lol

Thought it was fitting.  :P

It could be the case that he knows he is gonna be adding some good attacking players in this window and is changing things around in preparation for when they arrive.  This would give the other players time to be comfortable with the system and hopefully lead to the likes of Gil adapting quicker. 

But judging from that YouTube video, Gil's strength seems to be getting things moving quickly on the counter, not picking open the lock of a parked bus.

Yes - thats my take on it ......but in general it is easier to unlock a defence at pace .....someone tell Lambert...

It could be the case that he knows he is gonna be adding some good attacking players in this window and is changing things around in preparation for when they arrive.  This would give the other players time to be comfortable with the system and hopefully lead to the likes of Gil adapting quicker. 

My goodness you do think alot of Lambert don't you. Seriously, he don't plan ahead in a 90 minute game never mind preparation for the rest of the season.

It could be the case that he knows he is gonna be adding some good attacking players in this window and is changing things around in preparation for when they arrive. This would give the other players time to be comfortable with the system and hopefully lead to the likes of Gil adapting quicker.

My goodness you do think alot of Lambert don't you. Seriously, he don't plan ahead in a 90 minute game never mind preparation for the rest of the season.
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll form the same opinion as you now and start trawling threads to tell people what Lambert is because you know him well.
  • Like 1

I like the possession style and I like that we don't concede a lot of goals. It was really tough watching us ship 13 goals in 2 games or whatever it was.

However, we need a lot more movement from both our midfield and our strikers. A lot more. Obviously to get a lot more movement and still be able to hold the ball requires a bit more quality than we currently have. Hopefully Gil can run wide and open up the pitch a little bit for us.

I think ultimately both Gabby and Weimann need to be replaced if we are to develop this style into a winning style with players who are a bit more intelligent with the way they move, even if they aren't as athletic. We should potentially have a go at Joe Cole in the Weimann role.

Possession football is great, but we need to swing the pendulum back a bit and be a bit more willing to lose the ball if it means creating a chance.

• Like 4

I like the possession style and I like that we don't concede a lot of goals. It was really tough watching us ship 13 goals in 2 games or whatever it was.

However, we need a lot more movement from both our midfield and our strikers. A lot more. Obviously to get a lot more movement and still be able to hold the ball requires a bit more quality than we currently have. Hopefully Gil can run wide and open up the pitch a little bit for us.

I think ultimately both Gabby and Weimann need to be replaced if we are to develop this style into a winning style with players who are a bit more intelligent with the way they move, even if they aren't as athletic. We should potentially have a go at Joe Cole in the Weimann role.

Possession football is great, but we need to swing the pendulum back a bit and be a bit more willing to lose the ball if it means creating a chance.

You've highlighted exactly what we need - movement and tempo. The "possession" style doesn't work well without it.

However, what you do when you have the ball is only half of the "possession" style. What you do without it is just as important.

The key is high press. When you lose the ball in the opponents half, that is the time to attack to get it back. Commit in numbers and close down quickly. This builds pressure and leads to more opportunities. We have the midfield players to do this. Delph, Bacuna, Cleverly, Wiemann have the workrate required.

So:

- movement

- tempo

- high press

- profit

;)

• Like 1

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons that we're having so much more possession is because teams are letting us have the ball, knowing that we probably won't be able to do anything with it. There's obviously a change in our style too, but I'd imagine that the opposition is aware that we struggle to break teams down when we have to. The problem with playing a possession-based game is that you're essentially reliant on creativity on and off the ball. We desperately need not only a player who can be creative and unlock the door, but we also need our other forwards to be more creative in creating gaps with their runs for others to exploit. At the moment, we'll pass it around relatively comfortably, but there's just nothing in the final third. Hopefully when we sign Gil (all being well) we'll have a little more creativity, but there'll be an awful lot of pressure on him. I still maintain that we're only a couple of signings away from being a decent team (everyone being fit, of course), but it just so happens that they're very important signings in very important positions.

• Like 2

I really really don't mind us knocking it round and round from the centerbacks to sanchez and westwood and waiting for some good movement in front of them when the opposition start to press. I much prefer us having the ball than not. What we appear to lack is the awareness as to when a good vertical ball through the lines is on, mostly from the front 3 to be honest who aren't making the runs, and also players with the awareness to spot when we can overload space vacated by the opposition pressing. That's not just the front 3 at fault but the midfield as well, being patient and waiting is all very well and it nearly always gets you a chance eventualy, but when you then just ignore that chance through blindness to it then it's not so great.

For me the blindness is more from the players without the ball, as Sanchez, Westwood, Cleverly (especially with Cole runnign in front of him) have all shown an eye for a ball when there is a runner showing. We desperately need to be giving need to be giving more options for a vertical pass to the player with the ball, we've shown we can both keep it and build from the back, which is half the battle I spose but without good movement in front of the player holding the ball then the only benefit is they can't score if we've got it.

tika taka.

died 13/6/2014

exhumed 13/1/2015

Tika taka's ok when you're winning championships and Euro/World Cups with it.

When you're attempting to stay in the premiership with it, it;s sh!te.

I like the possession football played in Italy.

I know it is unpopular in England but it is momentum based and can cause devastating effects.

Imagine Villa playing around with the ball for a while, as mentioned earlier, Tottenham's players' stamina is running low, one of their fullbacks is slightly lazy and Grealish slides a ball to Gil to cross in to Tekkers for a simple flick finish.

After kickoff Villa continue to retain the ball, quite "boring", under more and more pressing from Tottenham, more spaces open up and Gabby and Weimann are actually useful as there is now space available to pass to and for them to run in.

I would like Villa to play like this as it is clear we have players who can retain possession, the tactics now need to be about outfoxing the opponent tactically.

Edited by Christ_JM
  • Like 4

tiki taka is fine.

We're definitely playing teams who are tiring by the end of games due to having to chase us around all game.

We need to add a bit of a tip to the sword though, for 2 reasons:

1. Goals

2. Teams will tire even more knowing that if they relax for even a second, we'll take advantage.

At the moment teams are tiring, but they aren't really genuinely worried about their positioning because we struggle to create chances.

As Christ_JM says it's all about momentum. It's about getting control of the game and picking the right time to flick the switch and execute a forward thrust.

Add a bit of movement and tired defenders who don't quite get over to cover the likes of Grealish or Benteke are hopefully going mean Aston Villa goals.

• Like 1

My beefs with our new style are many, but there are two principal ones. 1) Why did we do this over the festive fixture list, when there's very little time for training between matches, when clearly - as with any new system - things would go wrong and errors would need ironing out? We've probably thrown away half a dozen points as a result, which could be the difference between staying up and going down. 2) Why was Gabby given a new contract, if this was going to be the plan? He simply doesn't have the technique to play this game. If the plan came after the contract was signed, why is he still in the team every week?

Edited by HanoiVillan

Passing and retention football is all about speed, speed of thought and the speed you move the ball, the idea is to pass, move and pull players out of position creating space and shooting opportunities, we hold the ball well but move it way too slow, the players do not find space, this makes it easy for the opposition to defend effectively. until the players understand and implement this then it will not work even if Gil is a superstar. unfortunately whilst AW, GA have the speed to do this they do not have the football intelligence.

• Like 1

Passing and retention football is all about speed, speed of thought and the speed you move the ball, the idea is to pass, move and pull players out of position creating space and shooting opportunities, we hold the ball well but move it way too slow, the players do not find space, this makes it easy for the opposition to defend effectively. until the players understand and implement this then it will not work even if Gil is a superstar. unfortunately whilst AW, GA have the speed to do this they do not have the football intelligence.

I think AW has been involved in some of our best 1-2s and overlaps when overloading the fullback actually, just doesn't happen often enough for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Â