The Possession Game

CrackpotForeigner

Its obvious that he is trying to create a Bundesliga style team within the Premiership.

The way we keep the ball really is impressive even if it is very frightening when we do it in our own box but it doesn't seem to work in the top half of the field.

Is that just down to players not being good enough to play that style up top or do they just not want to play that way ?

A couple of decent creative and attack minded players and this COULD suddenly make sense but time is running out fast so he needs to make it happen fast !!!

The reason for our lack of chances/goals is very clear to me.

The lack of movement of our strikers is often cited and is to a large extent true but for me the bigger issue is the lack of movement of our midfielders.

If we play with three CM's it is essentially that one or at times both of the box to box players needs to break the forward line and get beyond the strikers.

This is something Delph, Cleverly, Westwood never ever do. They all want to sit waiting for the ball and waiting for the strikers to make it happen or more often waiting for Hutton and Cissokho to make that run beyond the strikers.

The lack of movement of our strikers is often cited and is to a large extent true but for me the bigger issue is the lack of movement of our midfielders.

If we play with three CM's it is essentially that one or at times both of the box to box players needs to break the forward line and get beyond the strikers.

This is something Delph, Cleverly, Westwood never ever do. They all want to sit waiting for the ball and waiting for the strikers to make it happen or more often waiting for Hutton and Cissokho to make that run beyond the strikers.

But I'm assuming that's how they've been told to play, or you would see things improve from match to match as they were coached into new ways.

The other problem is that you have two strikers in Gabby and Weimann who are being asked to jobs that they are both rubbish at.  Gabby is best running at people in the centre of the pitch towards goal, and Weimann is a predatory striker with a decent shot.  None of them are the creative wide men types, and it shows.

• Like 1

The other problem is that you have two strikers in Gabby and Weimann who are being asked to jobs that they are both rubbish at.  Gabby is best running at people in the centre of the pitch towards goal, and Weimann is a predatory striker with a decent shot.  None of them are the creative wide men types, and it shows.

Exactly.

I don't understand the persistence with this 4-3-3 formation.  Play 2 strikers every once in a while!

We have pretty much no natural wide players, and the ones he puts on the flanks always tend to find their way closer to the middle as soon as the game starts.

Add to that that we have very little movement and play at a slow passing pace we are the easiest team to defend against in top flight football.

We have pretty much no natural wide players, and the ones he puts on the flanks always tend to find their way closer to the middle as soon as the game starts.

Add to that that we have very little movement and play at a slow passing pace we are the easiest team to defend against in top flight football.

This is the issue. When you're playing non-wingers as wingers, and don't carry any kind of threat from the middle, you're not hard to figure out. Dangerous wide players are needed as much for what they do when the ball isn't near them as what they do when it is

• Like 2

This is the issue. When you're playing non-wingers as wingers, and don't carry any kind of threat from the middle, you're not hard to figure out. Dangerous wide players are needed as much for what they do when the ball isn't near them as what they do when it is

Yup

Take a player like Robben who often tries to move as close to the touchline as possible to find room for himself to recieve a pass stretch the defence and to have open space to utilize his pace and technique to take on the defenders.

Gabby & Andi on the other hand seem to wan't to be as close the goal as possible and thus forcing Cissokho and Hutton to cover the whole flanks making us easy to defend against and forcing our midfielders to stay back and cover the space left behind on the rare occations the fullbacks move across the halfway line.

It's fundamentally flawed

• Like 1

But I'm assuming that's how they've been told to play, or you would see things improve from match to match as they were coached into new ways.

You never know when it comes to Villa but surely that is not the case. Lambert was talking about how necessary it was to get goals from midfield. Surely in order to do that they need to enter the box from time to time.

Thing is with Gabby give him space and he will tear you to shreds. Close him down really quick and he hasnt got the technique to keep the ball let alone hurt you. Doesnt matter where on the pitch he is that is the opposition team talk every time. Sometimes the opposing manager may neglect to mention it and that is the one good game in 15 he tends to have.

Weimann agreed - never been suited to that position and it really is scarey how many games hes played for us there. Not sure I'd agree with the decent shot bit!

I'd be interested to know just how many people find possession football interesting to watch anyway. I mean proper possession football, not this bastardised tripe Villa offer up.

I personally don't care much for it.

I'm just interested in scoring goals football, the semantics matter not.  If we could just crack that one huh...

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know just how many people find possession football interesting to watch anyway. I mean proper possession football, not this bastardised tripe Villa offer up.

I'm just interested in scoring goals football, the semantics matter not.  If we could just crack that one huh...

At this stage i'd be more than happy to go full Pulis Stoke. At least they were effective!

Yup

Take a player like Robben who often tries to move as close to the touchline as possible to find room for himself to recieve a pass stretch the defence and to have open space to utilize his pace and technique to take on the defenders.

Gabby & Andi on the other hand seem to wan't to be as close the goal as possible and thus forcing Cissokho and Hutton to cover the whole flanks making us easy to defend against and forcing our midfielders to stay back and cover the space left behind on the rare occations the fullbacks move across the halfway line.

It's fundamentally flawed

Now were getting somewhere!!! This is and has been exactly what the issue is with the formation and players in it. The problem is we have no natural width and neither GA or AW stretch the fullbacks to create space in the middle for the 3 to move into, they're too busy drifting into the middle themselves and closing the spaces instead of expanding them. They are the wrong type of players for the system. Width and movement have been the biggest issues in the last 2 and a half years under lambert in my opinion.

• Like 3

I like the idea of possession football and totally "get it" that it's gonna take a while and some new players are desperately needed who are more suited to this style in midfield and attack. Hopefully Gil arrives and is the first of those such players.

I also think to make this work we need to stop getting players sent of every other game as it is so disruptive and is delaying sorting the issues out i feel. Also repeated injuries is accentuating the problems...again more disruption.

It's risky and hard enough to change ethos midway through a season as it is and the last thing you need when attempting it is a constantly changing team. The sooner those who are leaving leave, Delph, Vlaar and whoever else, Bent, Nzog, Given etc etc etc then the quicker we can buy replacements and improve the team and results... at least thats how i see it.

• Like 1

Nor me - I never watch CL for that reason.

To me passing the ball slowly isn't football - I know Barca do it for ages , then Messi gets it, beat a couple of players, spins and volleys into the top corner - but the bit you enjoy isn't actually the endless passes.  

for such a praised approach to game - it successes are few and far between - personally get it out wide, get to the byline, sling a cross in - does it for me every time and you don't need world beaters to do it - Brian Little did it with Alan Wright and Chris Price ..

bastardised lol classic lol

Â