The Possession Game

CrackpotForeigner

For the record what we are trying to do with this new passing football has as little resemblance to tiki-taka as the previous system had to the way Boroussia Dortmund played during that time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to note that, since our tactic of trying to dominate possession began (which I think is the game away to Burnley at the end of November), our record has been Pl13 W2 D4 L7 F6-17A GD-11 Pts10.

So not an unqualified success.

We have also won two cup games.

I want to give Lambert one positive. He does actually play 'attacking' players. Last night we had Gabby/Weimann/Sinclair/Gil on the pitch. He always refers to this when people question him on the apparent 'negative' approach. 

The sort of manager I think we really need is an old-fashioned 'drill'-type. Like Hodgson (obviously he wouldnt come..but someone similar). Our players aren't very intelligent so we need a manager who will heavily train on specific attacking moves, specific defensive moves and most importantly...SET PIECES!!

Just to note that, since our tactic of trying to dominate possession began (which I think is the game away to Burnley at the end of November), our record has been Pl13 W2 D4 L7 F6-17A GD-11 Pts10.

So not an unqualified success.

We have also won two cup games.

I'd like to see the fixture list of those 13 games. IIRC we had a pretty easy run of fixtures over Xmas and our passing style got us nowhere. Also 10 point out of 13 games is horrendous, relegation form and nothing to be proud of.

For this game to work you need skillful attacking players and clever movement from the front players. We have Gil only in that regard, and him only recently. You also need to move the ball quickly, which we don't do. I don't think Lambert know how to play this game and the players certainly don't. We allow defenses to set themselves, and then hit shit crosses in from wide. If we keep on trying to play this game, with this group of players and this coaching set up, we will be relegated. 

Movement is what we lack.

And the problem has been there since before Lambert (although I'm not excusing him. he could coach movement!)

Passing the ball around is fine but we have nobody making runs into space to capitalise.

Movement is poor but also our players just seem to play all over the place.

We never have a consistent option out wide, it makea everything narrow which then makes it more difficult to move and find space.

I think these players would be so much better if they were organised better.

I genuinely can't imagine what happens on the training ground to make it this bad.

Any type of football done well is entertaining, just like any type of football played badly is boring. We've had a few glimpses of goid counter attacking football but that's it really. Teams especially poor team realised we were stuffed when they just surrendered possession, which drove me crazy at that's the type of football Lambert decided was a good idea in the last 3 months.

• Like 1

Â