The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

It's not a big story because it doesn't sell.

The news has an enormous sorry fitting a narrative that popular, and easy to push, close to home, and full of eye witness accounts and footage and Hollywood-esque intrigue.

Boko Haram killing an unspecified amount of people, far from here, in a continent that has become so regularly entwined in one horrific situation or another, with no/very little footage, is maybe the 3rd or 4th story on a slow news day. As it is, the news had plenty of more relevant/of interest matters to the audience to use, so this got shunned. It'll be referenced/picked up somehow in a few days when things die down in France, I'd wager, or else when something else happens involving Boko Haram in a few weeks when it's quieter.

Nothing sinister IMO. Just not of media interest in the current local climate.

• Like 3

It's not a big story because it doesn't sell.

Indeed - with a very heavy heart.

What was the media coverage of Rwandan genocide?

What was the coverage of however many attacks on however many days in Iraq on whatever day one wishes to choose recently?

The coverage of the people killed by a 10 year old forced to be a suicide bomber today (yesterday perhaps) by the same crew in Nigeria?

How about the thousands in Sri Lanka during the latter days of the war there (okay for a cricket tour)?

P.s. I surely get why the events in Paris are bigger than the above for news media purposes but I don't like that they are.

Edited by snowychap

The article in my paper ( independent) about BH says no one has any idea if it's 2000 or 200. I know it's still an awful massacre either way, but I guess that the absence of clear facts and so on means it gets further downgraded as a piece of MSM news

Can't link from my phone but the Washington Post had a direct quote from a senior government official claiming it was 2000 with more drowned in Lake Chad trying to escape.

Wouldn't be the first time (this week) that the Nigerian gov had lied, but as sources go for this part of the world it seemed pretty credible.

Either way the lack of reporting is strange, the global reaction to a mass kidnapping of school girls there was huge.

EDIT: listening to BBC news hour on world service (now running this story) and Amnesty International also using the 2000 figure. Apparently the ground is carpeted with bodies for 5km, the army ran away (again) when BH attacked.

Edited by Awol

There are no reporters in that part of the world so the media are having some trouble reporting it. Credible media outlets would want to get more information before running a big feature on it but by the time all the facts are in it will be 'old news'. 

• Like 1

There are no reporters in that part of the world so the media are having some trouble reporting it. Credible media outlets would want to get more information before running a big feature on it but by the time all the facts are in it will be 'old news'.

Understand your point but I think you are crediting journos with a bit too much professional integrity :)

Understand your point but I think you are crediting journos with a bit too much professional integrity :)

It's not just hard facts they are lacking but pictures and footage as well. You can't do a front page spread or a lead bulletin with no visuals and disputed details.

With my cynical hat on I recon there would be a number of news outlets that would be itching to run another story about terrorist Islam right on the back of the Paris incident, nothing sells like fear. It sounds like they are struggling to get hold of the details though.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

I imagine in other areas, outwardly pro-Western rallies might not be held in such reverence though. But I think it's worth noting that in each and every majority Muslim country on Earth, there are people who reject theocracy. 

• Like 3

I imagine in other areas, outwardly pro-Western rallies might not be held in such reverence though. But I think it's worth noting that in each and every majority Muslim country on Earth, there are people who reject theocracy.

Yes, and they have some guts if they own up to it publicly.

Â