All New Funny Pics Thread - Clean Edition

Xann

Maybe interesting (probably not) is that Disney held or still hold the worldwide  physical copy distribution rights for the films via beuna vista and they do the dubbing of them and part financed spirited away

Disney know what that studio is

I'm also sure spirited away has got some Oscar records, it's the only hand drawn cartoon to win best animated film but it might also be the first animated film to be nominated for best picture but that's probably wrong

I was once in a Japanese blueray shop trying to buy the box set, in my Brummie accent me asking various members of staff if they had it... They did not understand a word! Eventually they got me a pen and paper and then laughed at me

I'd say mononoke, SA, howls are my favourite but all benefit from being is a run when I first discovered the studio, grave of the fireflies is a contender for best War film ever made, my daughter loves gigi from kikis delivery service but totoro takes too long to come on the screen for her to really get in to that, there's too many of them that inexplicably I haven't seen

The Cat Returns is a very underrated Ghibli film. As is Ponyo. Ponyo always gets treated like the red headed stepchild by people, I don’t know why though as it’s awesome. Both are my favourite two.

Random side note, when I got married we had Ghibli film table names with stills from the film printed out on stands. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

For anyone thinking about discovering Ghibli (pretty sure they're all on Netflix) for the first time a lot of the English dubs are pants and the films are often so much better in Japanese with English subtitles. Sometimes the dub changes the story or leaves things out. 

Original language all the time. 

My Neighbour Totoro is a beautiful film and is probably my favourite but there are so many good ones. I was actually a bit disappointed by Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (two of the more famous ones) but I think that is precisely because I watched them in the English dub. 

Grave of the Fireflies is the bleakest film I've ever seen, but really good too. But bleak. 

Edited by Rolta

43 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Random side note, when I got married we had Ghibli film table names with stills from the film printed out on stands. 

My elder daughter had something similar for her wedding. She's really into various fantasy/LOTR/anime stuff. Her sister's partner is a skilled modelmaker, and he made superb table centrepieces, including several Ghibli themed ones. I need to see if I can find some pictures. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Interesting! Never heard of them and have lived in both Australia and UK for lengths of time and a film buff so would’ve thought I would’ve heard of them.  Maybe I just don’t take notice of the studios doing whatever film I watch.  Never heard of those films either.  Maybe being mid forties I’m old and it’s a young thing given the gaming/animation thing?

Oh Nick, if you have even a passing Interest in cinema then I would definitely check out some Ghibli stuff.

Much more layered and morally interesting than the usual mainstream animated movies.

Start with something like Spirited Away and go from there :thumb:

(By the way, its definitely not an age thing. I'm 51 and Ghibli has been around for nearly 40 years).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Oh Nick, if you have even a passing Interest in cinema then I would definitely check out some Ghibli stuff.

Much more layered and morally interesting than the usual mainstream animated movies.

Start with something like Spirited Away and go from there :thumb:

(By the way, its definitely not an age thing. I'm 51 and Ghibli has been around for nearly 40 years).

Thanks, will do!  Something to look forward to as the dark nights of winter are here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I can also confirm that I have no idea who this Studio Ghiblle fella is

Same here.

Its positioned perfectly on VT between the 2 typical situations “Its really famous, but I haven’t heard of it” and it’s niche so “can’t believe you haven’t heard it you fool”.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Studio Ghibli are an absolutely revered, incredible, legendary animation studio in Japan whose style is massively respected by the West. Spirited Away is a masterpiece. I would watch the shit out of a Star Wars Ghibli reimagining.

If anyone could make a Star Wars film that doesn't suck it'd probably be Studio Ghibli. 

:trollface:

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Same here.

Its positioned perfectly on VT between the 2 typical situations “Its really famous, but I haven’t heard of it” and it’s niche so “can’t believe you haven’t heard it you fool”.

Hey, I'm pretty legendary on here for being out of the loop about contemporary culture, but I genuinely would have thought that 90% of people  - at least those with children - would be aware of Studio Ghibli. We were watching them in the 90s with our kids (on TV or rented VHS tapes from the local Blockbuster), and now with our grandchildren on DVD and streaming (Netflix has most of them). 

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hey, I'm pretty legendary on here for being out of the loop about contemporary culture, but I genuinely would have thought that 90% of people  - at least those with children - would be aware of Studio Ghibli. We were watching them in the 90s with our kids (on TV or rented VHS tapes from the local Blockbuster), and now with our grandchildren on DVD and streaming (Netflix has most of them). 

I know of Spirited Away's existence, never watched it, never heard of the studio. 🤷‍♂️

Â