Sydney Siege

Tayls

its a shame that sentence is viewed by many people as being a terrorist slogan although it does come across a bit overpowering. its an even bigger shame that this threat will probably never go away and its just a matter of time before a big attack strikes the uk and other parts of the world, although the counter terrorist unit do a great job in foiling attacks you cant stop them all.

No different to other religions.

Yes that is the fear. How do we reduce the terrorist threat? Obviously impossible to eliminate it completely

We could stop bombing foreign countries to gain control of their natural resources. 

Just a thought.

Do you honestly think that would stop the sort of religious nutjob who'd behead a child for not converting to Islam. Both sides need each other, the nutters who invade countries over oil beget the beheading nutjobs, who are then an excuse for more Islamophobia, which then causes more terrorism, and so on.

• Like 1

we in the west allow islam to exist which is fine, some might say it has too much freedom at times but thats another argument but these nutters are not happy with islam existing in other countries they want islam to be the law of the land. how can you fight that? why cant the world and its religions let other religions be and live happily.

Omariqy, i like you, but don't try and defend this bloke.

Most people understand that not all Muslims are terrorists, but trying to deflect blame away from him, and suggest he is not a terrorist, does decent muslims no favours at all.

He's defending him?

• Like 1

Both sides need each other, the nutters who invade countries over oil beget the beheading nutjobs, who are then an excuse for more Islamophobia, which then causes more terrorism, and so on.

Exactly. So stopping our bit might help, no?

It would get rid of one reason, but they'd soon come up with another.

Both sides need each other, the nutters who invade countries over oil beget the beheading nutjobs, who are then an excuse for more Islamophobia, which then causes more terrorism, and so on.

Exactly. So stopping our bit might help, no?

It would get rid of one reason, but they'd soon come up with another.

I'm holding out for the slim hope that this is irony.

A lone nut job who found the world had created a place for him to put all his anger; by the sound of things he was well known to the police - I wonder what had been done previously to try and find a way to stop this happening, either through diagnosis if he was mentally ill, education, conversation, someone listening or just giving him something else to do. As it is, he's responsible for a situation in which innocent people have died and as such it's impossible to have any sympathy with him.

I'm not up to date on the details of the eventual intervention, was it necessary? Was there an immediate threat or could there have been other ways to end this. I would hope that the decision of the police to go in was entirely their own. The combination of global politicking and lone armed nut jobs is unfortunately only ever likely to end one way.

Sympathies are to the victims of this, poor innocent people who'd stopped off for a coffee on the way to work yesterday morning.

I would hope that what we learn is that aggression and violence will not stop war or terrorism. I doubt we will.

" A lone nut job" - Not clear. The police will be analysing communications but certainly wouldn't let it be known yet if he was part of any network. 

"Mentally ill" - Not clear. 

"I'm not up to date on the details of the eventual intervention" - Well I'm sure that won't stop you implying the police are responsible for the deaths of the hostages. 

"Global politicking" - So that's who's responsible, I thought it was a lone nut job a few lines ago and then I thought it was the police. 

If you're so sorry for the victims maybe you could show it by waiting for the full details to emerge rather than speculating that the tragedy is merely a vindication of your own political views.,

A lone nut job who found the world had created a place for him to put all his anger; by the sound of things he was well known to the police - I wonder what had been done previously to try and find a way to stop this happening, either through diagnosis if he was mentally ill, education, conversation, someone listening or just giving him something else to do. As it is, he's responsible for a situation in which innocent people have died and as such it's impossible to have any sympathy with him.

I'm not up to date on the details of the eventual intervention, was it necessary? Was there an immediate threat or could there have been other ways to end this. I would hope that the decision of the police to go in was entirely their own. The combination of global politicking and lone armed nut jobs is unfortunately only ever likely to end one way.

Sympathies are to the victims of this, poor innocent people who'd stopped off for a coffee on the way to work yesterday morning.

I would hope that what we learn is that aggression and violence will not stop war or terrorism. I doubt we will.

" A lone nut job" - Not clear. The police will be analysing communications but certainly wouldn't let it be known yet if he was part of any network. 

"Mentally ill" - Not clear. 

"I'm not up to date on the details of the eventual intervention" - Well I'm sure that won't stop you implying the police are responsible for the deaths of the hostages. 

"Global politicking" - So that's who's responsible, I thought it was a lone nut job a few lines ago and then I thought it was the police. 

If you're so sorry for the victims maybe you could show it by waiting for the full details to emerge rather than speculating that the tragedy is merely a vindication of your own political views.,

Please don't doubt my sympathy with the victims of this incident.

Everything else is probably fair to be honest, I've become very cynical about the way in which terrorism is reported and reacted to, and in general that cynicism tends to end up having been well founded - but, as they say in the adverts, past performance is not an indicator of future performance. We'll wait and see when the full details emerge I guess, but my cynicism already suggests to me that the first story we get won't be the truth.

Is there a rule to become a moderator on here that you have to be an apologist for terrorists?

Speaking for myself rather than 'the mods', I don't consider myself an apologist for anything. I don't like to see people dying. I'd like to see a much more sensible approach to solving that than the one we have at the moment, particularly as our approach to maintaining freedom and stopping terror always seems to involve the erosion of liberty and people dying. I don't apologise for any kind of terrorist.

• Like 4

From all accounts this is one person acting alone. The fact that he aligned himself with Islam is moot - he also claimed to be an expert in astrology, numerology, meditation and black magic.

He was 50 years old, facing court for aiding in his wife's murder, sexual abuse (40 counts) and sending horrible letters to the families of Aussie soldiers killed in Afghanistan. Clearly a disturbed individual in what appears to be anything but a planned terrorist attack.

As for the police intervention - they did all they could to ensure he was not goaded into harming the hostages and pursued a peaceful resolution. Once shooting started (allegedly by him) they had no choice but to storm the place.

Oh, and Ray Hadley is a tool of the highest order.

• Like 1

...How do we reduce the terrorist threat? Obviously impossible to eliminate it completely

We could stop bombing foreign countries to gain control of their natural resources....

Do you honestly think that would stop the sort of religious nutjob who'd behead a child for not converting to Islam. Both sides need each other, the nutters who invade countries over oil beget the beheading nutjobs, who are then an excuse for more Islamophobia, which then causes more terrorism, and so on.

Looking back, maybe 25 years, we didn't really have the kind of terrorism that's happening now, in the West - the Islamic nutters.

So what changed?

I think it begins with I and ends with Q with an R and an A in the middle. It pretty much all stems from that.

Exactly. If you pay attention to most of these terrorist organizations, they usually justify their horrific actions as being a retaliation to Western countries who murder and plunder from their people.

Yes. They cannot go toe-to-toe with our military so they need to resort to this kind of 'revenge'.

...How do we reduce the terrorist threat? Obviously impossible to eliminate it completely

We could stop bombing foreign countries to gain control of their natural resources....

Looking back, maybe 25 years, we didn't really have the kind of terrorism that's happening now, in the West - the Islamic nutters.

So what changed?

I think it begins with I and ends with Q with an R and an A in the middle. It pretty much all stems from that.

I'd actually go with B, L, I, A, R.

No rearranging of the letters necessary.

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

So what changed?

It has certainly made the problem worse, but your timeline is a little fuzzy.  9/11 pre-dated whichever invasion these people wish to use as a pretext for violence against the west.   There is also truth in the idea that if it wasn't X it would Y used as the justification, if not Iraq then Palestine, if not Palestine then the Spanish occupation of "Muslim land" (i.e. Spain) ad infinitum.

Like any other knob head who wants a fight Islamic extremists will always be able to find a reason, however absurd it may be.  

Whilst I sort of agree with Awol I do think the problems would not be as severe as they are today if Western foreign policy and intervention was not what it was and has been.  For instance I don't think ISIS would exist.  However, there is that element in these Arab countries that would find any excuse.

• Like 1

Exactly. If you pay attention to most of these terrorist organizations, they usually justify their horrific actions as being a retaliation to Western countries who murder and plunder from their people.

Yes. They cannot go toe-to-toe with our military so they need to resort to this kind of 'revenge'.

But Westerners make up a tiny tiny percentage of their victims.

Â