Sydney Siege

Tayls

I wasn't defending him. Quite the opposite. My question was more about the media and perception. If that soldier had been Muslim what do you think would have been the response from the media and authorities?

I would never try and defend such an act.

You just have to look at Rugeley reaction re ISIS. No links at all to ISIS or no indication of it anyway yet straight away he is inspired by ISIS. Despite being a type of Muslim ISIS would more than likely behead. Ie he is not Sunni

Edited by omariqy

You just have to look at ikantcpells reaction re ISIS. No links at all to ISIS or no indication of it anyway yet straight away he is inspired by ISIS. Despite being a type of Muslim ISIS would more than likely behead. Ie he is not Sunni

Wasn't one of his demands for an ISIS flag? I wonder what their reaction will be, as like you say he is hardly a great example for them, or whether they'll use him as an example to other Muslims to commit a similar act anyway.

You just have to look at ikantcpells reaction re ISIS. No links at all to ISIS or no indication of it anyway yet straight away he is inspired by ISIS. Despite being a type of Muslim ISIS would more than likely behead. Ie he is not Sunni

when i heard he was iranian i thought that was a bit strange as they are not sunni but maybe he converted to sunni? i do firmly believe that isis are a huge inspiration for these muslim nut jobs and a rise in terror raids indicates this, australia are having a bit of a tough time with muslim extremists at the moment i have no doubt that isis actions has a lot to do with it. isis is to muslim extremists  what hitler was to the white power fanatics.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Apart from these links to ISIS you mean:

"According to 2GB radio DJ Ray Hadley, who spoke to an unidentified male hostage on his mobile, the hostage-taker is demanding the delivery of an Islamic State (ISIS) flag and a conversation with Australian prime minister Tony Abbott.

Local TV news channels TenNews and Channel Nine also said they had had contact with hostages inside the cafe and reported similar demands. Channel Nine said that the hostage-taker was offering one hostage in exchange for the ISIS flag."

when i heard he was iranian i thought that was a bit strange as they are not sunni but maybe he converted to sunni? i do firmly believe that isis are a huge inspiration for these muslim nut jobs and a rise in terror raids indicates this, australia are having a bit of a tough time with muslim extremists at the moment i have no doubt that isis actions has a lot to do with it. isis is to muslim extremists  what hitler was to the white power fanatics.

No doubt they are an inspiration to some. However that's a very simplistic view of it. Terrorism didn't start with ISIS and won't end with them. Likewise Islamic extremism didn't start with ISIS and won't end with them. There are lots of different organisations some with ISIS and a lot against them. Lots of issues are around sects or tribal. I don't think ISIS actions are the main reason for the rise in extremism. I think it's foreign policy and the use of that as a tool by organisations such as ISIS and others.

He was a recent convert to Sunni Islam.

Yet he didn't get the ISIS flag. Do we know for certain he said the ISIS flag. It's a flag used by many groups not just ISIS and not just terrorists

What message does the flag deliver?

Edited by Tayls

Yet he didn't get the ISIS flag. Do we know for certain he said the ISIS flag. It's a flag used by many groups not just ISIS and not just terrorists

It's our declaration of faith. It says there is no God but Allah and Muhammed is his messenger. It's what you would say if you reverted to Islam. It's said in many instances

Some babble like Allah is the only God and we follow his profit Mohammed

• Like 1

its a shame that sentence is viewed by many people as being a terrorist slogan although it does come across a bit overpowering. its an even bigger shame that this threat will probably never go away and its just a matter of time before a big attack strikes the uk and other parts of the world, although the counter terrorist unit do a great job in foiling attacks you cant stop them all.

A lone nut job who found the world had created a place for him to put all his anger; by the sound of things he was well known to the police - I wonder what had been done previously to try and find a way to stop this happening, either through diagnosis if he was mentally ill, education, conversation, someone listening or just giving him something else to do. As it is, he's responsible for a situation in which innocent people have died and as such it's impossible to have any sympathy with him.

I'm not up to date on the details of the eventual intervention, was it necessary? Was there an immediate threat or could there have been other ways to end this. I would hope that the decision of the police to go in was entirely their own. The combination of global politicking and lone armed nut jobs is unfortunately only ever likely to end one way.

Sympathies are to the victims of this, poor innocent people who'd stopped off for a coffee on the way to work yesterday morning.

I would hope that what we learn is that aggression and violence will not stop war or terrorism. I doubt we will.

• Like 3

It's our declaration of faith. It says there is no God but Allah and Muhammed is his messenger. It's what you would say if you reverted to Islam. It's said in many instances

And what about the flag that has been used by Isis recently? Had that flag existed before they started to use it?

I'm just trying to understand the differences between them, I genuinely don't know...

its a shame that sentence is viewed by many people as being a terrorist slogan although it does come across a bit overpowering. its an even bigger shame that this threat will probably never go away and its just a matter of time before a big attack strikes the uk and other parts of the world, although the counter terrorist unit do a great job in foiling attacks you cant stop them all.

No different to other religions.

Yes that is the fear. How do we reduce the terrorist threat? Obviously impossible to eliminate it completely

No different to other religions.

Yes that is the fear. How do we reduce the terrorist threat? Obviously impossible to eliminate it completely

We could stop bombing foreign countries to gain control of their natural resources. 

Just a thought.

• Like 3

Â