Sydney Siege

Tayls

Not to speak for AWOL as I'm in no position to do so but I think you are arguing against a point he wasn't making.

The point he was responding to from Blandy seemed to be suggesting that the actions of various Islamic terrorist groups can be traced back purely to the invasion of Iraq which is simply not the case...

Well, aplogies to awol if I've misinterpreted him, it wasn't my intention.

Yes, his point may be purely in response to Blandy's comment and not meant to be taken more widely.

Oh I know it wasn't mate and it might yet be me that has done so just thought it worth raising in his absence.

There's no way you could interpret anything in Islam that would justify you killing innocent children.  Nothing at all.  In fact it specifically prohibits it many times.

On the general terrorist threat and issues then yes I would agree with you.  I don't know how you solve that.  If everyone was atheist would the world be a better place or would we fight over something else trivial?

At a guess though mate those responsible might not consider those children to be innocent.

True but I can't see how anyone could blame these children for anything?  Then again we are not dealing with sane people. 

There's all sorts of stuff in the Quran that could be misinterpreted, just like there is in the Bible.

It specifically prohibits the killing of children.

I'm sure there will be contradictory bits in there that they are using for justification.  The killing of unbelievers bit, or the Islamic version of the Bible's "an eye for an eye".  You can find anything in religious texts (written hundreds of years ago by primitive people) to justify any hideous action if you're deranged enough. 

Exactly if you are deranged enough.  If that person is deranged enough to use a book, that specifically prohibits that action throughout that said book, as a reason for their horrific act then they don't need religion as an excuse.  They would find another way.  Like I don't know using drone attacks to kill innocent people in a far away land.  Dropping nuclear bombs on entire cities.  Starting world wars and risking the lives of millions of innocent people.

I don't think there is anything contradicting not killing children.  You would have to be pretty warped to find something like that in the Quran.  Then again you would have to be warped full stop to commit such an act.

It's resentment of the actions the West has taken over decades that's the issue, not some kind of blind hatred of anyone who's different.

I think this is largely the case, but there has always been an expansionist mentality to Islam, it's written in their book. Convert the infidels by the sword's edge. It's a bad combination. The 2,000 year old cult of a "prophet" vs the 100 year old cult of oil. A select few on either side laugh and live in luxury while the rest scratch and claw and spill each other's blood. 

• Like 1

There's no way you could interpret anything in Islam that would justify you killing innocent children.  Nothing at all.  In fact it specifically prohibits it many times.

The problem with religion is that it teaches someone to believe something which isn't true, even if that person knows that it isn't true. That's a very dangerous kind of mental training. It's a very small step from thinking/knowing that you are "absolutely right" to regrading anyone who doesn't explicitly believe the exact same "truths" as you do as "evil".

Some faction of a religion will have decided that as these "innocent children" are not going to follow their particular beliefs and therefore don't count as children. Therefore the normal protections don't apply to them.

All religion is **** dangerous. Teach children how to think, not what to think.

On the general terrorist threat and issues then yes I would agree with you.  I don't know how you solve that.  If everyone was atheist would the world be a better place or would we fight over something else trivial?

Of course people would fight. Resources are scarce. At least there is the possibility of more equitable outcomes if people are rational in their interactions, rather than knowing that they are right because "god".

• Like 1

Another day. More Islamic Terrorism. Absolutely disgraceful. You should all be condemning these people. I hope those of you on here trying to explain away the actions of these terrorists are ashamed. 

I've not seen anyone explaining anything away.

Who are you to tell people what they should think? This is a forum. Debate things, don't pontificate.

• Like 4

Another day. More Islamic Terrorism. Absolutely disgraceful. You should all be condemning these people. I hope those of you on here trying to explain away the actions of these terrorists are ashamed. 

What are you on about?

Reading stuff that isn't there methinks.

There's no way you could interpret anything in Islam that would justify you killing innocent children. Nothing at all. In fact it specifically prohibits it many times.

On the general terrorist threat and issues then yes I would agree with you. I don't know how you solve that. If everyone was atheist would the world be a better place or would we fight over something else trivial?

No, we'd fight over something LESS trivial.
  • Like 2

Has any more come out about this bloke?

I'm still not convinced he really was someone you could call an Islamist terrorist. How crap the attempt was, the apparent lack of prep, the fact he didn't really seem to have anything to say or any apparent aim... It doesn't strike me as the act of a man driven by political fervour to commit an act of violence. It seemed to bear more hallmarks of the kind of thing you see in places like the US where someone, usually with a criminal background and at the edges of society, unhinged individuals, goes nuts. At best I think this guy knew that was more or less where he was and tried, pretty haphazardly, to tap into something to, in some perverse manner, legitimise his actions as something greater than they were.

Yeah I think there's more mental illness and confusion than actual religiously inspired martyrdom.

Apparently he did at one point get a black flag put up in the window of the cafe but the wording wasn't right, so he added a correct flag to his list of demands. I'm not convinced that if I was that in to a cause I'd ge the main strapline wrong.

Accusations of sexual assaults and sending letters to mourners also smacks of low grade mental illness building in to something far far more serious.

Â