What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That’s ****ing dope. Weird, too. Never knew it. 

As @rjw63 will tell you, it's widely disliked by Beach Boys fans, generally regarded as the worst track on an otherwise classic album. Personally, I love it. 

Seemed appropriate, with current campus protests (gives me nostalgia for 1968 etc.)  I just hope this one doesn't become topical: 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As @rjw63 will tell you, it's widely disliked by Beach Boys fans, generally regarded as the worst track on an otherwise classic album. Personally, I love it. 

Seemed appropriate, with current campus protests (gives me nostalgia for 1968 etc.)  I just hope this one doesn't become topical: 

Yep, generally despised because it takes the place of one or two Dennis Wilson tracks that would have fitted a whole lot better (“4th Of July” and “Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again).

The band had a falling out over track sequencing and DW took his music off the table. Shame really as they both excellent and were released decades later in box sets.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Yep, generally despised because it takes the place of one or two Dennis Wilson tracks that would have fitted a whole lot better (“4th Of July” and “Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again).

The band had a falling out over track sequencing and DW took his music off the table. Shame really as they both excellent and were released decades later in box sets.

Are there any other Surf's Up outtakes that are worth hearing? I'm building a 'Surf's Up Extended' Spotify playlist. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Are there any other Surf's Up outtakes that are worth hearing? I'm building a 'Surf's Up Extended' Spotify playlist. 

Apart from the two mentioned above, San Miguel would probably fit OK.

Carry Me Home definitely goes but I think came out the year after, still if you are making your own playlist who cares about the odd 6-12 months? ;)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I know several people who were affected personally by all that at Kent. It was real, as stupid as that sounds? I grew up around there. You can see find a bullet holes in one of the nearby modern art sculptures. A good friend mine's brother who lived in Kent was killed in 'Nam, too. I think he actually volunteered. Just a local kid. That whole family became very antiwar. The shootings at Kent State were very painful. Some of the same BS you hear today from Trumpies is what you heard then in the 70s. Here's my friend's sister's song about her brother. The human cost.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2024 at 00:23, mjmooney said:

Neil played Ohio yesterday at Jazz Fest in New Orleans with Crazy Horse, though it was solo with him on electric. Not rare at all for Neil to play Ohio but pretty unusual for it to appear in a Crazy Horse set. I’ve seen him with Crazy Horse minimum 25 times (another 30-35 times without CH) but never Ohio with the Horse. I saw him do it solo in Berkeley last July

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 10:51, Marka Ragnos said:

I know several people who were affected personally by all that at Kent. It was real, as stupid as that sounds? I grew up around there. You can see find a bullet holes in one of the nearby modern art sculptures. A good friend mine's brother who lived in Kent was killed in 'Nam, too. I think he actually volunteered. Just a local kid. That whole family became very antiwar. The shootings at Kent State were very painful. Some of the same BS you hear today from Trumpies is what you heard then in the 70s. Here's my friend's sister's song about her brother. The human cost.

Jerry Casale & Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo were present at Kent that day, as was, allegedly, Chrissie Hunde 

You’re absolutely correct about Trumpies echoing what was heard back then and it ain’t pretty and it’s scary

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Thanks 1

Â