Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

I don't know how getting a correct penalty decision is luck but if that was very lucky then we were extremely unlucky not to be out of site by half time and seeing as that was our first penalty if the season maybe we deserved this so called luck? Or it may be that we got the ball in the box more than we have done for a long time and created some very good chances so by that token were more likely to get a penalty as there was action in the box? One thing that definitely wasn't luck was the fact in the 93rd minute our LB was in the box that's all tondo with the manager and his style. Don't be afraid to lose trying to win. I for one am more than happy with that instead of being so scared of losing you never tried to win like the last incumbent.

• Like 2

B*llocks were we lucky last night, we were actually unlucky not to be up by 4 in the first half - DESERVED win. And it is not often that can be said. Point at Sunderland and we can breathe easy.

Completely agree that we should have been 3 up, we weren't though were we? Completely agree we deserved to win it, doesn't really work like that a lot of the time though does it? I think it's no coincidence we got a bit of luck when we had worked so hard as a group past 90 minutes to try and get a break, it's no coincidence that seeing we had 8 shots on target in a game for the first time since last May that we createdd enough to win a game.

Fact is though, till generous old Ben's brain completely melted we would have been feeling super bitter because all the above would still have been true but we'd only have a point to show for it.

But we are not though are we, we won, move on.

• Like 1

B*llocks were we lucky last night, we were actually unlucky not to be up by 4 in the first half - DESERVED win. And it is not often that can be said. Point at Sunderland and we can breathe easy.

Completely agree that we should have been 3 up, we weren't though were we? Completely agree we deserved to win it, doesn't really work like that a lot of the time though does it? I think it's no coincidence we got a bit of luck when we had worked so hard as a group past 90 minutes to try and get a break, it's no coincidence that seeing we had 8 shots on target in a game for the first time since last May that we createdd enough to win a game.

Fact is though, till generous old Ben's brain completely melted we would have been feeling super bitter because all the above would still have been true but we'd only have a point to show for it.

We dominated the game and deserved to win. Dont care how we won it in the end.

Cheer up ffs

I'm ecstatic, we smashed them in possession, shots, shots on target, tempo, quality of football everything. Doesn't mean we weren't lucky too, that's my only point.

We have had no luck all season. We get a bit of luck, some fans analyse and keep banging on about it. We won, i dont care how we won it.

This is exactly what all the teams around us did not want to happen - they know we shouldn't be down there with the players we have. Obviously it's early days but I take heart from the upward curve of our performances since TS took charge - we're creating, we're scoring and we're in with a chance of getting something from matches - if we can average a point a game from now on we should be safe - and I think that is feasible.

I don't see it as luck at all. I think we had all written the game off as a draw by that point, I was in a mode whereby I was hoping we would hang on such has been our form. The player's thought different, they kept pushing and put Foster who was having a troubled game under pressure to the point where he makes that mistake. You can only beat what is in front of you, for us that included a keeper miles from his best.

I doubt the baggies fans are sat there today talking about how lucky we were. In fact, I know they're not. They were poor, we took advantage of that, should have been out of sight but instead we created a "moment" to savour. I have very few complaints about either the performance or the way we had to grind it out.

I thought it was wonderful.

• Like 3

Don't agree with the sentiment that we were lucky.

If anything we were unlucky we weren't 3-0 up by half time.

Thoroughly deserved win.

Nobody is saying we weren't the better team, or that we didn't deserve to win.

We were clearly better than them and should have won by more.

But when you win with a last minute penalty brought on by an idiotic goalkeeping blunder after a cross by a player that should have been sent off, then whether you like it or not that is quite lucky.

It might be luck that we deserved considering how the game went and how little luck we've had all season. But it's still luck.

Why does the minute that the goalkeeping blunder happened make a difference? A game is 90 mins plus extra time.

If Foster's blunder and therefore our penalty had happened in the 70th minute, would that make it less of a lucky win?

I don't see anything about the result that was lucky. There were incidents in the game that were both lucky (Hutton not getting sent off) and unlucky (not getting a penalty/ Foster not getting sent off), but that's the nature of football.

I honestly don't see where this 'luck' thing has come from, other than that we got our winner in the last minute. That happens all the time in football, and you could say that we earned that because we kept pushing for a winner right until the end.

Fair point about the timing. But a goalkeeper blunder and a cross from someone who shouldn't be on the pitch is still a bit of luck in our favour.

But like you said (and I already said) we deserved to win, we deserved the luck and a draw wouldn't have been a fair result, and we've had our fair share of bad luck so it's all swings and roundabouts.

I don't see what's so bad about saying we got a bit of luck in our favour in that particular 5 seconds of the game. It's not like any of us are saying we didn't deserve the result or we're unhappy, or that we were incredibly lucky for the whole game!

Edited by Stevo985

First half we were unlucky, two off the line, hit the post. Should have been 2 or 3 nil up at the end of that half.

Second half once they scored, we really didn't create a lot, but give credit for the fact we kept fighting until the end. We did get that bit of luck we needed, as the keeper had a mare.

Overall, we weren't lucky, because we had both good and bad luck on the night.

Anyway, great win! Onwards and upwards for Villa.

• Like 1

What are our remaining home games?

Swansea

QPR

Everton

West Ham

Burnley

All "winnable" to be fair, given Everton's form all season and West Ham's current form. I'd say Swansea is the toughest.

We're out the relagation zone and i think we'll get 8-9 points from those

They do look winnable or at the least not games we should lose.

Of course the unknown now is coming up against teams with little to play for.You will see alot of unlikely results from here on in.

Foster being out of form wasn't luck. It was our attacking play and Sherwood's pre-game mind games that traumatized him mentally and he couldn't cope with the pressure on this occasion. Everything good that happened, happened because we earned it.

• Like 1

Even if it was luck, we needed it to kick on. 

A huge part of the problem this year has been confidence in players.. We haven't won in 3 months.. Went through a goalless drought mocked my everyone outside the club.. Our top goal scorer, couldn't..

We just put 2 goals away to beat our rivals and I don't care how much luck was on our side, it should be enough to boost that confidence.. Lift the players and let us push on.

And believe me, I've just seen the stats. That wasn't luck. We knocked on that door all evening. Luck would have been the fumble going in, and the post being a foot in the other direction and us walking away 4-1. 

For once, luck never came into it. We played football. Well.

Edited by Sam3773

The win is way WAY more important than the 3 points. 

I said before the Newcastle game that I'd almost be tempted to give away the 3 points if it meant we still got the win under our belts.

Big psychological boost.

• Like 2

What are our remaining home games?

Swansea

QPR

Everton

West Ham

Burnley

All "winnable" to be fair, given Everton's form all season and West Ham's current form. I'd say Swansea is the toughest.

We're out the relagation zone and i think we'll get 8-9 points from those

They do look winnable or at the least not games we should lose.

Of course the unknown now is coming up against teams with little to play for.You will see alot of unlikely results from here on in.

QPR is a must win. The classic 6 pointer. I'm hoping we'd be safe before Burnley but that could easily be a relegation play off. We should also be targeting Everton and Bony-less Swansea. Big Sam will have our number though.

8 points would put us on 33 so we'd still need an away win or two.

I feel better about our chances thanks to last night but it is still very much squeaky bum time,

On Monday, the probabilities were:

Leicester: 83.9% ^

Villa: 73.8% vv

QPR: 54.1% ^

Burnley: 53.7%

Hull: 18.6% v

Sunderland: 15.0%

Palace: 0.6%

Everton: 0.2%

WBA: 0.1%

Leicester: 89.3%

QPR: 63.3% vv

Villa: 58.6% ^

Burnley: 57.4%

Sunderland: 13.3%

Hull: 11.5% ^

Palace: 3.6%

WBA: 2.4%

Newcastle: 0.3%

Everton: 0.3%

I won't be breathing easily until the maths say we're safe.

Typical Accountant.

IMO.