Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

I think we'll be fine, mainly because, as always, there are 3 teams in this league that are worse than us. That's all we need until everything off the field is sorted out.

OK, so we only need to be the fourth worst team in the premier league until "everything off the field is sorted out"

Nothing is being "sorted out" at present as far as anyone can tell and the longer we are so poor on the field, the bigger the problems become concerning the squad, its playing style, and the club's attractiveness to a bidder.

It is a false idea that we can get by scraping enough points to avoid relegation each season until a magic wand is waved and all our problems are solved both on and off the pitch. We are sinking deeper into the mire with each mediocre game that is played.

• Like 1

Lambert will take us down.

I do love that quote, I imagine you were one of the guys shouting Lambert out on Sunday???

What do we honestly expect at the moment? I think we are lucky we he hasn't jacked long before now.

He is a manager who had a good reputation before joining villa and we give him no resources and a shambles behind the scenes

and then blame him because we are not challenging for the top 4/6. I think we need to get a reality check.

This isn't me saying I'm happy with the way we are playing because I'm not, I think I could still be sat in the Holte End now waiting

For us at score against palace, that was one of the worst games i have paid to watch. So I think lambert has a lot to answer for in

terms of style but who do we honestly think will come in and be better given the situation. Can anyone give a genuine realistic alternative ?? Eddie Howe maybe but will he want to damage his reputation? Doubtful. I think we have done far more damage to Lambert than he has to villa.

I'm terms of getting relegated we will be in no danger because boring and lacking in goals we are the team has solidity and the spine of the team put together for 12 ish million by lambert of Guzan okore Sanchez and benteke will be enough to keep us well clear

• Like 2

I wish I was as confident as you, punkiller. We're 5 points off the relegation zone, and of the teams below us, West Bromwich and Palace have new managers and QPR have managed to climb out of the bottom 3. If WBA or Palace go on a decent run, and we continue being solid in defence but poor in front of goal, the gap between the bottom 3 and us will get even closer.

I think Lambert will get us scoring, personally, but I am nowhere near being able to say 'we will be in no danger', like you.

We were around 12th/13th for a lot of Houllier's season, if I remember correctly, and even though we were 5/6 places away from relegation, the points gap was fairly similar and people swore we were in a relegation battle then too.

Also, I don't know whose posts you've been reading, but who has said we should be fighting for top 4/6? That just sounds like a bit of exaggeration on your part, to make these unrealistic people seem more unrealistic.

People always post we are only 5 points off relegation places but they also fail to mention we are the same number of points off a top ten spot and only two more than that off a top 8/9 spot but don't let those facts get in the way. Our form may be suspect and crap (to most) but the point still stands (but let's ignore it) that we are just as many points off top ten than we are off a relegation place. Panic if you must and be on a constant downer if you must but until we ARE in the bottom three/four I for one will not resort to statements "Lambert will take us down" or "We will be relegated".

I remain positive as ever. We (notice I don't say Lambert) - WE the TEAM will pull something out of the hat when it matters. We pulled it off against Chelsea last year (no matter how we did it). We did it against Arsenal (we have a decent record at Emirates - I think the best from all the teams in the PL) and I fancy us against Liverpool. 

This league is unpredictable - so are Villa - we could just as well beat the top teams at home (Chelsea record with Jose at VP  - he's never beaten us at VP in PL) as lose to the bottom team. Just my opinion anyway.

I wish I was as confident as you, punkiller. We're 5 points off the relegation zone, and of the teams below us, West Bromwich and Palace have new managers and QPR have managed to climb out of the bottom 3. If WBA or Palace go on a decent run, and we continue being solid in defence but poor in front of goal, the gap between the bottom 3 and us will get even closer.I think Lambert will get us scoring, personally, but I am nowhere near being able to say 'we will be in no danger', like you.We were around 12th/13th for a lot of Houllier's season, if I remember correctly, and even though we were 5/6 places away from relegation, the points gap was fairly similar and people swore we were in a relegation battle then too.Also, I don't know whose posts you've been reading, but who has said we should be fighting for top 4/6? That just sounds like a bit of exaggeration on your part, to make these unrealistic people seem more unrealistic.

Hi rob

You are probably right about me being exaggerating but that is born out of frustration at these people with the Lambert out agenda probably the same ones who put the David o'leary banner up a few years back and my point was simply who do we get that replaces him that would improve things. These idiots that shout lambert out very rarely seem to come up with great alternatives that would realistically work under our financial constraints.

When I say I think we will have enough to stay up I'm not suggesting i would bet my house on it I just think we will based on what I have seen of all the teams this year. However as I said I think most of the time the football is appalling aimless idea less and unadventures but perhaps Lambert has decided to build from the back get us solid then sort the goals/creativity out. I think personally the main problem we have is that we still only have the counter attack as an effective way of playing and at home that works ok against sides like Man Utd but when you play palace or Blackpool who don't come at us and leave space we have no idea of how to break sides down.

Only 7 points off a top 9 spot? 'lol' as I think the kids say these days.

Have a look at the league table - we have 22 points - the team in 9th I believe has 29 - so the difference is 7 or is my maths incorrect? Swansea and Liverpool are on 29 we are on 22 - is that not seven?

• Like 1

And to add - that is a fact not made up as some have done who may have an agenda of any kind. It might be 'LOL' as de kidz say but it is a fact! But go ahead laugh it off. I prefer to have my glass half full and not half empty. 

• Like 1

Whose boasting? I'm not - I'm just responding to the constant referal to the fact we are only 5 points of the bottom three and I counter with we are the same and just slightly more off a top 8-10th spot - whats wrong in that - that to me is being positive and not on a constant downer - not proclaiming it's something to shout about but just as those who are constantly moaning that we are relegation fodder - I am trying to use the other side of the coin.

Not lauding and celebrating just putting a different point of view across! 

• Like 1

Whose boasting? I'm not - I'm just responding to the constant referal to the fact we are only 5 points of the bottom three and I counter with we are the same and just slightly more off a top 8-10th spot - whats wrong in that - that to me is being positive and not on a constant downer - not proclaiming it's something to shout about but just as those who are constantly moaning that we are relegation fodder - I am trying to use the other side of the coin.

There's nothing wrong with it. 

I was just saying you seemed to think Risso was disputing the facts, when I don't think he was. I think he just meant the facts in this case are nothing to be proud of.

FWIW I sort of agree with you. We could easily move up the table if we strung a couple of wins together.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem as likely as us moving the other way at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with it. 

I was just saying you seemed to think Risso was disputing the facts, when I don't think he was. I think he just meant the facts in this case are nothing to be proud of.

FWIW I sort of agree with you. We could easily move up the table if we strung a couple of wins together.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem as likely as us moving the other way at the moment.

I agree mate - we could quite easily go either way - but there are always two sides - look at both. At the moment there is nothing to be proud of at Villa far from it. Just I prefer a balanced view and not one sided be it negative (Pessimists) or Positive (Optimists).

Either way for AVFC this is NOT something to be proud of. I'm lucky that most in having faced the trials and tribulations and the joys of past glories (the only one I have not seen is the joy of winning the FA Cup). 

Far from being happy but I prefer as I said to look at both sides not just the one.

Only being 7 points from 9th shouldn't be something to boast about for a team like Villa.

I think this is the point Risso was making

Old Villa maybe

Current Villa this is where we are.