Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Well we beat Stoke and Hull out of those fixtures already, the rest we either lost or drew. I think we managed 9 points from those listed games so far this season. The fact of the matter is, bar a decent start in which we managed three victories by the odd goal in our first four games we have been dreadful. If we carry on in that vein we will go down, we must improve our goal scoring if we hope to win some games. At the moment it remains to be seen whether they can or not. Hopefully Gil and Sinclair can get us firing, but it is a big ask for a player new to the English game, and a player who has barely played in 2-3 years. I can fully understand the concerns as to whether we can get enough points, recent history suggests that we won't.

yeah but we still have play Burnley, Sunderland, Hull, QPR, West Brom, Newcastle, Swansea, Everton and Stoke. Even as poor as we were recently we can get 12 points from them games

Personally I'm not so sure. I think it will be more like 6 points from those games

Think I agree with Stevo, again. We will hit another purple patch and we will survive, just. Not fun though is it?

I hope you are both right, I wish I had that confidence in the team. It has been a long time since it has been any fun supporting Villa, the Fans deserve a lot better.

• Like 1

Think I agree with Stevo, again. We will hit another purple patch and we will survive, just. Not fun though is it?

I hope you are both right, I wish I had that confidence in the team. It has been a long time since it has been any fun supporting Villa, the Fans deserve a lot better.

It's hardly confidence.

Just a belief that we'll be slightly less shit than we are now, which will be enough to stay up.

• Like 1

yeah but we still have play Burnley, Sunderland, Hull, QPR, West Brom, Newcastle, Swansea, Everton and Stoke. Even as poor as we were recently we can get 12 points from them games

Personally I'm not so sure. I think it will be more like 6 points from those games

6 points from those games when we still need 12 - 20

Doesn't look good does it especially when you have only picked up something like 12 points in 19 games

I've not felt worried about relegation at any point really under Lambert. The first season was touch and go but after Christmas you could see the team progressing and Benteke was banging them in for fun. Last season I never really felt we were in danger of it, although the end of the season was cause for concern. Right now though, if we continue in the same form that we have since about October we will be relegated. If you don't score goals, you can't win games - and frankly, if we continue scoring less than one goal a game we deserve to go down and can have no complaints. We have a decent team - most bottom half teams would show interest in having Guzan, Hutton, Aly, Vlaar, Clark, Okore, Westwood, Cleverley, Weimann, Gabby, Benteke, Delph, Gil and Sanchez among their ranks. These are decent players and there really can be no excuses for the lack of goals and the terrible football on show. I could say I fear the worst, but like many others I've become so numb to the whole thing - I highly doubt I'll be going to any more games this season and really I don't think I'd care a great deal if we went down. Villa Park is half empty anyway, and we're only in the league to make up the numbers. Right now, I'd rather see us win a play-off final than finish in 15th again - I know some people aren't of that view but I'm a Villa fan in my early 20s. I've not seen us win anything and really there's been **** all to get excited about my whole time following the club. I don't want us to go down, but I really wouldn't be devastated if we did, certainly not like I would've been if it had happened 3, 5 or 10 years ago.

• Like 3

Doesn't look good does it especially when you have only picked up something like 12 points in 19 games

You've just made the 6 point thing up though, it hasn't actually happened and probably won't.

• Like 1

I agree with the above. We have some good players, no question about it. The tactics are to blame it is absolutely clear. I think it was Martin Keown on Match of the Day 2 the other night who hammered into the way we play. There were several moments in the Arsenal match where we had possession and no one was moving or overlapping to make things happen - sure we kept possession and our possession stats are higher but it's meaningless. It looks so glaringly obvious how we can improve in attack. I really don't understand the lack of movement and pressing. It's not just a one off, it's been all season!

Are they in fear of being lower down on possession stats than their team mates? The key stats missing are assists and goals. 

Edited by villanwesty88

Of course we can, that's not in doubt.

But 12 points from 19 soon to be 20 games suggests it won't be easy.

You've just made the 6 point thing up though, it hasn't actually happened and probably won't.

Was not me that made the 6 points up hopefully it doesn't happen because it wouldn't be enough and we would be relegated

Well, in the first half of the season we managed the following from the "winnable" games...

Burnely - 0

Sunderland - 1

Hull - 3

QPR - 0

West Brom - 0

Newcastle - 1

Swansea - 0

Everton - 0

Stoke - 3

If we repeat that we'll be up to the dizzying heights of 30 points, needing 8-10 from Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Man City, West Ham and Southampton

Well, in the first half of the season we managed the following from the "winnable" games...

Burnely - 0

Sunderland - 1

Hull - 3

QPR - 0

West Brom - 0

Newcastle - 1

Swansea - 0

Everton - 0

Stoke - 3

If we repeat that we'll be up to the dizzying heights of 30 points, needing 8-10 from Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Man City, West Ham and Southampton

8 points from 9 winnable games is pathetic. We need to try to get about 16 points from winnable games in the next few months because we aren't likely to get anything from any decent team.

Burnely - 0

Sunderland - 1

Hull - 3

QPR - 0

West Brom - 0

Newcastle - 1

Swansea - 0

Everton - 0

Stoke - 3

we drew with Burnley ;)

Burnely - 0

Sunderland - 1

Hull - 3

QPR - 0

West Brom - 0

Newcastle - 1

Swansea - 0

Everton - 0

Stoke - 3

Yeah it doesn't matter who we've played our results have been poor. I think we're in serious trouble and things just continue to get worse.

34 points will keep you up this season. I'm sure of it. We will make it to 38 again I think.

If we were to list the results of the teams below us they would be worse. This set of players we have now can't play much worse, can you say the same for those below us? Haven't they mostly shown what was expected of them?

We've had two league games with a proper attacking mid as well. Liverpool and Arsenal... No pressure Gil.

2 wins in 19. That is relegation form no matter how you dress it up.Other than the good first 4 games we have been terrible all season and now it is February The first season under Lambert I was shattered after the Christmas period and convinced we were goingd down. Somehow we got on a run and stayed up. Now I just don't care anymore, which I know is  a shocking thing to say. That is what I sense at Villa at the moment. We just don't have the fight for yet another relegation scrap. We could be sleepwalking to relegation.. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

I expect that we will lose the home game against Chelsea and the four away games at Spurs, Man City, Man United & Southampton.

That means we will have 30 other points to play for. Just to get to last season's safety total of 34 points it would mean us taking 12 from 30. Now, that might well seem achievable judging by the other fixtures we would have left. But, if we lose against Chelsea on Saturday, we will have only taken 12 out of the last 60 available.

If, as expected, we lose the 5 fixtures listed above, it's going to have to be a big turnaround in form from the team to take a minimum of 12 points from 30 when they've been on a run like they're on currently.

34 points will keep you up this season. I'm sure of it. We will make it to 38 again I think.

If we were to list the results of the teams below us they would be worse. This set of players we have now can't play much worse, can you say the same for those below us? Haven't they mostly shown what was expected of them?

We've had two league games with a proper attacking mid as well. Liverpool and Arsenal... No pressure Gil.

I think QPR will get a boost from a new management team. I think Leicester have boosted their weak areas by getting in a striker and a defender. Burnley might well go and I think Hull are in freefall so that leaves one more and we will be threatened until the last couple of games at least.

If we fail to win any of our next three games, for me personally, I won't see us escaping relegation.