Paul Lambert

limpid

I honestly don't know how you can say the fans have shown great patience during recent games - unfortunately that often isn't the case.

We'll agree to disagree then. You always get the odd supporter/supporters who will moan at every missed placed pass but yes on the whole the home support have been extremely patient. You need to of course put the support in the context of how poor our home form has been and how poor we have played. In that context we have indeed been extremely patient and very supportive and certainly deserving of way better than what is being served up.

The fans are in no way responsible for the results of the last few seasons.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

You could have predicted the posters who would blame the fans.

Wonder if any of those moaning try to start chants or cheer loudly when others around are groaning?

I am not blaming fans for anything, but even a child knows that positivity and encouragement (no matter what) has more chance of bringing about better performnance - in any field of life  - and vice versa.  That is blindingly obvious to anyone, surely ?

So it is not a question of blame, but merely pointing out that the support is pretty dire, quite often, and quickly turns, in any individual game from sour to sweet and back again

Someone may or may not say that is ok or not but it IS true.

I'm not a chant starter as it happens although I am an Immediate 'joiner inner' and a 'prolonger'....but Yes I certainly carry on being loudly positive throughout any game......at the worst if there is really absolutely nothing to be positive about - which is rare for me as am am unapologeticaly a person who ALWAYS looks for the good in my Club -  I would keep quiet.

But that chant of 'What the f,,,,,,,,,hel........is this ' after 9 Minutes against WBA is as far removed from support, regardless of how many games we have or haven't won, as you can get.

• Like 2

If fan support made that much difference palace and Stoke would be challenging top 4 and Portsmouth would still be in the league. Considering the shit we've put out for nearly 4 years in a row I say fair play to the ones that keep coming back.

Again you're twisting peoples words.

Fan support is a small percentage, no one has said it will make a team great but what they've said is it will help. Surely your parents have at some point said to you 'come on you can do it'. Surely you see this is more positive than 'you're shit'.

Did you see mourinho getting the crowd going in recent matches?

• Like 1

If fan support made that much difference palace and Stoke would be challenging top 4 and Portsmouth would still be in the league. Considering the shit we've put out for nearly 4 years in a row I say fair play to the ones that keep coming back.

Fan support is a small percentage, no one has said it will make a team great but what they've said is it will help. Surely your parents have at some point said to you 'come on you can do it'. Surely you see this is more positive than 'you're shit'.

Exactly. No one is claiming fan support plays a massive part in results and performances but it does have an impact, however small that may be. Above all what VP needs is patience. Things like booing the team off at half-time when the score is 0-0 is just pathetic.

I hardly think you can use a quality manager like Mourinho and his very successful Chelsea team as an example here.

You should be comparing us with poorer managers and poorer teams to see if crowd positivity works.

I hardly think you can use a quality manager like Mourinho and his very successful Chelsea team as an example here.

You should be comparing us with poorer managers and poorer teams to see if crowd positivity works.

Stoke? They've often credited good home performances to having the fans constantly singing and getting behind them.

Exactly. No one is claiming fan support plays a massive part in results and performances but it does have an impact, however small that may be. Above all what VP needs is patience. Things like booing the team off at half-time when the score is 0-0 is just pathetic.

Can we boo when we lose at home to quality teams like Bradford and Sheffield United then?

Yep because human beings are known to be cool calculated figures in emotional situations. How people are moaning at the fans is beyond me, the fans aren't the ones being paid multimillion pound contracts it's the players responsibility to perform. If nearly every home performance wasn't utter turd then maybe there would be a lot more patience but that's not the case and frustrations are completely understandable.

Edited by penguin

Nobody is revoking your permission to boo. Boo as much as you want. Booooooo. Boooo. Booooooooooooo. Boo.

The point is that it's counter productive.

This is all it is.

What has your booing done? Dispirited the team. Created a negative atmosphere. Spurred the other team on. Made yourself feel better. Made the team know you're unhappy.

Congratulations!

• Like 4

Also if there is a buzzing atmosphere it is more intimidating for the away team. I'm not saying there should be blind support but imagine if we had an atmosphere like German teams have. Or remember when Rapid Vienna came to town, their fans were insane... it spurs the team on. 

Before anyone jumps on this I AM NOT SAYING that the fans are to blame for our poor performances, just that a more vibrant atmosphere could help the team.

• Like 3

I was making the point that it shows fans being behind the team IS important. If it was all about the team then why would a quality manager like mourinho need to get the crowd going?

You've shown why you're wrong with your example. Mourinho got the crowd going. What's happening with our team over the last 4 years to get the crowd going.

I'm not going to knock 34,000 people who give up their time and money for not cheering like mad watching average players chase a ball.

2 things I've been wondering recently, the first is, the people who don't like Lambert, who would you rather have as manager realistically?

The second, and this is Lambert's fault, I think the reason for our bad home form has nothing to do with the fans positivity or negativity or ability or no number 10 player, I would say the crucial thing is the fact we have the widest pitch in the football league yet insist on playing the narrowest of formations at home. If we played a proper 4-5-1 with 2 decent wingers we could exploit the space. It would have been ideal this season with Benteke but if Lambert did decide to do it He'll be gone by next season and we'd have to hope on Kozak stepping up or a new decent striker

I've noticed on several occasions various posters claiming that Villa Park is the widest pitch in the football league. It might have been in the past (I believe it was one of the widest in the past, but not the widest), but it certainly isn't anymore. Nowadays, the PL handbook requires that all pitches should be a standard size (105 x 68 metres) unless the construction of the ground makes that impossible... 

No doubt if we get relegated the fans will be at fault

If it was about the fans as much as some would have you believe the league wouldn't have been dominated by the likes of man **** yoo, Chelsea and arsenal in the last 20 years

And as for stoke being great fans at home; possibly forthw first couple of years in the prem. since then they have been as bad as everyone else

Â