Paul Lambert

limpid

it just makes you wonder what lambert can do now without culverhouse and karsa. we dropped to poorer depths when they left and its unlikely they will work together again

i think he will geta job in scotland/championship club. celtic in next few years definitely

it just makes you wonder what lambert can do now without culverhouse and karsa. we dropped to poorer depths when they left and its unlikely they will work together again

i think he will geta job in scotland/championship club. celtic in next few years definitely

I remember when we first got him Norwich fans were stressing how vital Culverhouse and Karsa were to his success. I know they were supposedly a bad influence but you have to wonder how much of our nosedive in form over the past 10 months has been down to their absence?

Paulo Di Canio got a Premier League job on the back of sheer desperation, so never say never I suppose.

Yeah but he got the job for being a bit of a 'character' in the media. I doubt Lambert on the MOTD2 couch with Chappers will set many chairman's pulses racing.

No but keeping a poor premier league team in the league for 2 seasons whilst cutting wages will.

Not walking out when the going got tough will.

Assembling a decent squad on a small budget will.

Like I said, we may know better. There are mitigating circumstances that make those 3 things less impressive. But from the outside, people see that think he's done ok.

Add to that his performance with newly promoted Norwich and he wouldn't be a bad choice for a newly promoted team who are struggling.

I suspect that within the industry, amongst those in the know, his stock is still very high.

We'll definitely not see Lambert on TV as a pundit, nobody can understand the shit coming out of his mouth. I guess you have some characters with dodgy accents on already, but he is actually impossible to catch for the average viewer.

If Sherwood impresses in the last games of the season and keeps us up. Will it truely confirm Lambert as a poor manager, or...............?

Not really.

If Sherwood improves us long term then it will prove he's better than Lambert (or at least he's a better fit than Lambert was)

But the fabled new manager bounce could improve us for the rest of the season. The fact Sherwood isn't Lambert is enough to do that. It's whether he can sustain that that will be the test.

Look at Poyet last season. Kept Sunderland up. Yet they've been dreadful this season.

• Like 1

To be honest, we were pretty crap with them both here too.

Never said we weren't, but our record from April last year up until he was sacked was particularly awful, especially with regards to scoring.

Edited by Mantis

the rot started long before that, we had a miserable christmas and only won 5 league games after December 4th which is appalling

Again, I'm not saying it didn't, but the worst form probably came after they left (well, it started with that Stoke defeat in March). Their absence may help to explain why we've been even poorer this season.

With a top coaching set up along side him I reckon he could still have a good future as a manager. His whole time here was a mess with the owner being the way he is. Lambert barely ever had his strongest side on the pitch due to the worst set of injuries I've seen in a long time. I think he will prove a lot of Villa fans wrong in the future.

worst run of form for me was in December losing meekly to Fulham, United, Stoke and Palace and also crashing out of cup to Sheffield United

What, worse than the end of last season and worse than the last couple of months?

Bloody General Bukak stirring it up.

Suppose he was always going to support his ex commander in chief

Bill Clinton?

Edited by Mantis

Lambert was crap as soon as he arrived, we had a brief flurry at the end of his 1st season season but 90% of his tenure was bollocks with and without Culverhouse/Karsa.  I wouldn't say there will be anybody rushing to appoint Lambert soon, his football was some of the worst crap I have ever had to endure and the monumental cock ups he had with backroom staff was emabarrasing verging on the ridiculous. Unable to motivate, tactically woeful, broke every unwanted club record and mind numbingly dull in press conferences is all he will be remebered for. Championship/SPL is where he will end up maybe even League 1. If I was a fan of another team that appointed Lambert I would be livid

I'm not sure why his stock would be high with those in the industry.  There was a clear reason he was sacked from a team with pretty low ambitions.

I'm sure he will have a chance to rebuild his career soon enough but I think he will need to learn from the mistakes he made here.  

I'm not sure why his stock would be high with those in the industry.  There was a clear reason he was sacked from a team with pretty low ambitions.

I'm sure he will have a chance to rebuild his career soon enough but I think he will need to learn from the mistakes he made here.  

Because he did exactly what was asked of him, which was a pretty unenviable job remit.

And when he stopped doing it he was sacked and went with dignity, with his relationship with the club apparently still amicable.

As I said previously, we as Villa fans may not be so positive. We know he could and should have done better, especially this season. And those two points may mean little to us, but for a chairman they could be seen as big positives.

But for, say, a newly promoted club who want to keep the team in the league on a limited budget then Lambert wouldn't be a crazy choice.

He may not be the fans' choice, but I could easily see a chairman going for him.

Once the Premier League managerial merry go round starts next season I won't be at all surprised to see Lambert in the mix.

Edited by Stevo985

Â