Paul Lambert

limpid

Lord knows why, but I still like Lambert. Tactically, he has turned our defense from a shambles into a half-decent, organized unit. We've started to keep a little possession, as all of us were dying to do. And on a shoestring budget, he has amassed some talent: Benteke, Sanchez, Vlaar, Okore, and Gil (based on early returns), and even lesser buys like Westwood and Bacuna have been at least half-decent. That's a lot more quality than we could've reasonably expected from our meager spending. That said, this means our squad is fairly decent. We shouldn't be struggling for goals, and we sure as heck shouldn't be in another relegation fight. So the ball is squarely in Lambert's court. Time to turn in some points, or even I will reach my limit.

In fairness, you know why you like Lambert - you just outlined it in the following sentences!

• Like 1

I thought it was a brilliant second half, a great goal and it felt really good to see the team win again. They seemed to enjoy it as much as the fans.

Could just be another Lamblip, though.

c58b39cd4439d0c4d890a87cb5e16a04.jpg

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

I'd like to see him use the same formation in coming games - it was nice having a front 2 again, Gil looks great in a free role and we've got players who can hold it down and keep things ticking over in midfield.

It'll be interesting to see how it'll work with our first choice players in. Cissokho over Richardson would make a big, big difference.

I'll give Lambert his due: we were woeful in the first half, but he saw there was a problem and addressed it in the second. Given that one of the big criticisms of Lambert has been his inability to react to the changing flow a match, it was refreshing to see. It makes me wonder why he hasn't done it more often.

• Like 1

I think we were saved by Gil yesterday. If he hadn't scored that goal I think we would have struggled a lot as the crowd would have grown impatient.

If we play a bit more like we did in the second half yesterday we'll be better off though. I still think he's not the right man for the job given how poor he's done and I think we'll need to see improvements for the rest of the season. Gil seems like a player we've been missing for a long time, so hopefully we'll build on that.

I think we were saved by Gil yesterday. If he hadn't scored that goal I think we would have struggled a lot as the crowd would have grown impatient.

If we play a bit more like we did in the second half yesterday we'll be better off though. I still think he's not the right man for the job given how poor he's done and I think we'll need to see improvements for the rest of the season. Gil seems like a player we've been missing for a long time, so hopefully we'll build on that.

we were saved by one of the players who plays for us doing what he's in the team to do?

Thank god for that!

I think we've grown so unfamiliar with scoring goals that we've forgotten that that is what they do. Win matches.

Maybe I didn't explain it very well.

We weren't creating anything and then he scores a wondergoal from out of nowhere. That's great and of course their job is to score goals. We are all delighted that we managed to score and of course we (like all teams) need goals like that out of the blue in some games. I'm thinking more long term that we aren't creating chances. Maybe it will change with Gil, maybe not. He'll need more than one game.

I just think that the trouble in creating chances is not just because the players aren't creative enough, it's a lot to do with the fact that we use a system that doesn't allow us to create much, constantly trying to create space in through the middle where it's very difficult. Lambert seemed to change that in the second half and hopefully he now realises that we can't continue to play that way.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can take some of the positivity into the upcoming matches and pull out of the nosedive in the league.  That's all the fans want, something to get excited about, and Gil could be the best bit of business that Lambert has done in a while.  Might take the pressure off Benteke a bit, too.

• Like 1

Lord knows why, but I still like Lambert. Tactically, he has turned our defense from a shambles into a half-decent, organized unit. We've started to keep a little possession, as all of us were dying to do. And on a shoestring budget, he has amassed some talent: Benteke, Sanchez, Vlaar, Okore, and Gil (based on early returns), and even lesser buys like Westwood and Bacuna have been at least half-decent. That's a lot more quality than we could've reasonably expected from our meager spending. That said, this means our squad is fairly decent. We shouldn't be struggling for goals, and we sure as heck shouldn't be in another relegation fight. So the ball is squarely in Lambert's court. Time to turn in some points, or even I will reach my limit.

In fairness, you know why you like Lambert - you just outlined it in the following sentences!

Yes. I was hedging against what I had feared would be an unpopular opinion! Edited by Villain-from-Texas

how good is the spine of the club that he has built?

At full strength you have Guzan Vlaar Okore Delph Sanchez Gil Benteke.. who are all valuable and some of them have probably tripled what we paid for them. It really is quite a decent squad.

The squad harmony seems good.. they seem to back the manager.. despite some awful results it never seems to be by the lack of trying. It is one of the reasons why i dont hate PL and i think i can say the same for many others. I still dont think hes the right man for the job however with Randy's record and financial status i honestly dont think we can bring anyone in that will do better at the moment. 

I really really really hope he can turn it around and prove us all wrong. Tactically he seemed alot sharper at Norwich but his insistence on the diamond formation really is hurting us. He switched it at half time and we seem to play really well in the second half versus Bournemouth. I know its only Bournemouth but i think 'Gilly' really has lifted the squad. They must see him do all sorts of fancy tricks in training and are probably boosted by his presence. Wiemann linked up so well with him.. i really hope we see the Wiemann of old as he didnt score 13 goals in his first season by doing nothing. He makes great runs and when confident is a good finisher. Leave Wiemann upfront... play Gilly wide.. Leave Westwood or Cleverley on the bench and we may just climb the ladder and stay up. I just wish Randy gave him another 5-6 million this January to help the squad a bit more as i fear when Gil gets injured we will be back at square one.

------------------------Guzan------------------------

Hutton------Vlaar-------Okore-------Cissohko

----------------Sanchez------Delph---------------

Bacuna------------------------------------------GIl (they can switch and ideally Grealish for Bacuna but that wont happen soon)

------------Benteke--------Wiemann------------

Bench: Given Clark Kozak Agbonalhor Grealish Senderos Cleverley Westwood 

Alternatively:

------------------------Guzan------------------------

Hutton------Vlaar-------Okore-------Cissohko

---------------------Sanchez---------------------

-------Delph-----------------------Gil----------

Agbonalhor---------------------------Wiemann

---------------------Benteke-----------------------

At full strength we arent a bad side. We really really need a wide player though. Possibly another quality striker to really push on. 

Not sure if its the win or the Delph news (keeping 15 million asset) on our books but i feel positive. Lets hope we can get a few more results and push on.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

I don't think there are any excuses now.

As above, regardless of how much he has or hasn't spent, he's built a pretty decent squad. Certainly better than our league position suggests. I give him credit for that as I think he's done that on a pretty measly transfer budget, others would probably disagree.

But the point is, however he's done it, it's not a bad squad. If he can't turn it around this time then there really is no hope. He's gone past last chance saloon, if we don't improve between now and th eend of the season with this squad then it can't be blamed on anyone but the manager imo.

I just hope he doesn't go back to playing narrow football again; we looked far better when we had width in the second half. Width is key because it dragged them out and created space the Weimann goal is a good example as spaces occurred. Think it will be narrow again though.

• Like 1

For me it will take a pretty special end to the season to get me back on side with the manager.

When I look at the squad and the 11 he can put out I actually think the squad has the potential to do that. I'm just not sure the manager does.

The relief after they scored the first was immeasurable, it was worth the £3m alone. We need one in the league now and hopefully that'll be enough to see the confidence lift as it did Saturday.

If we can score another 15+ goals at the right time this season, with this defence, we are safe. That's not asking for much is it.

• Like 1

We need another wide creative player I think everyone can see that. I just hope we get one as it'll help take the pressure off Gil. It'll also mean at home Gil can play central more against weaker teams. Let's get one that's not cup tied Aswell! The squad is looking good with a bit of confidence we will be looking to a good end to the season.

For me it will take a pretty special end to the season to get me back on side with the manager.

When I look at the squad and the 11 he can put out I actually think the squad has the potential to do that. I'm just not sure the manager does.

He arguably did it in his first season. He had to though, and he had Benteke. If we could click like that now we'd finish comfortably mid table.

I would still want him gone. When I said I was done I meant it. What would change my mind now would be an entire season of consistently watchable and winning football. A season where I'm not looking back with any real fear. Another 5-10 game purple patch won't be enough, not by a long chalk.

There still a strong possibility we could go down and I don't want to feel that way going in to February next season.

• Like 3

For me it would take finishing 12th or above to completely forgive and forget. From this position survival without ever being in the bottom 3 would buy him more time for me. Realistically beating the teams in and around us would be enough for me to get back on board. 

I'm still not really in the Lambert out (NOW!!!) camp because of the practicalities of getting someone in now. End of Jan no time to do anything in the market etc. would be suicide IMO. 

I don't think I'll ever be on board like I was when he first joined but a big improvement now and I'd be willing to see what he could do in the summer.

I still think long term its probably best if he leaves because even with a good finish, the first bad spell next year and the fans will turn again.

He is going to have to get into the top half for me, and get some bloody goals going in for me to even start slightly warming to him. He has been bloody awful so far since he joined

Â