Paul Lambert

limpid

So Tonev Bowery and Sylla? Again how much was that? £5 million if that? And that's not including anything we might get back if we sell them.

Tonev was around 1.5M

Bowery 200K (recouped)

Sylla 700K and his contribution in the few months after he joined helped us retain our premier league status

A loss to Bournemouth and this guy surely couldn't be justified in staying.

He's here until the end of the season I think people need to get used to that

So you don’t see any scenario where Lambert will be sacked?!

I think he's here until the end of the season at the least.

He'll be here even if we are relegated. 

Possibly, it will be interesting to see what mitigating circumstances come to the fore if we lose to Bournemouth, Arsenal and Chelsea (although draws against the latter two wouldn't be too bad).

So Tonev Bowery and Sylla? Again how much was that? £5 million if that? And that's not including anything we might get back if we sell them.

Tonev was around 1.5M

Bowery 200K (recouped)

Sylla 700K and his contribution in the few months after he joined helped us retain our premier league status

The figures are just wrong.

Bowery was £500K, Sylla £2m and Tonev £2.5m.  Not fortunes I admit, but still £5m plus wages wasted.

Possibly, it will be interesting to see what mitigating circumstances come to the fore if we lose to Bournemouth, Arsenal and Chelsea (although draws against the latter two wouldn't be too bad).

Mitigating factors

Arsenal - Better team than us

Chelsea - Better team than us who have spent more on one player than Lambert's "net spend" and are heading for the title and have lost two games all season

Bournemouth - will come looking for a scalp,  banana skin,  upsets can happen and invariably do to us it's a game where they have nothing to lose and can play with that freedom and they are on a good run of form and in terms of the "football pyramid" are 5 or 6 places below us.

If we're relegated he'll probably be seen as the best man to bring us back up and if we stay in the division Lerner will probably keep him on in the hope that he can keep us in the division next season. If you want Lambert gone your best hope is a takeover but I'd hope new owners would give him a chance.

• Like 2

Tonev was around 1.5M

Bowery 200K (recouped)

Bowery was £500K, Sylla £2m and Tonev £2.5m.  Not fortunes I admit, but still £5m plus wages wasted.

But them added to the other ones you mentioned cost abotu 10m all together? Maybe 12

So even not taking into account the money we have or will get when we sold or sell them, and assuming they were all "wastes" (which they weren't) that accounts for less than 25% of his spend.

That's a pretty good record if you ask me.

• Like 1

Tonev was around 1.5M

Bowery 200K (recouped)

Admittedly I was using media reported figures as quite frankly I cant be arsed having to justify so little spend when 

a) Others spend 5M on one player and it is a cheap buy

.b.) We have recouped the fee spent on one of them and he is doing well for his current club

c) Sylla helped us retain our status when he joined

d) People will not change their opinion anyway

Tonev was around 1.5M

Bowery 200K (recouped)

A loss to Bournemouth and this guy surely couldn't be justified in staying.

He's here until the end of the season I think people need to get used to that

So you don’t see any scenario where Lambert will be sacked?!

I think he's here until the end of the season at the least.

Unless he walks away

Mitigating factors

Chelsea - Better team than us who have spent more on one player than Lambert's "net spend" and are heading for the title and have lost two games all season

Bournemouth - will come looking for a scalp, banana skin, upsets can happen and invariably do to us it's a game where they have nothing to lose and can play with that freedom and they are on a good run of form and in terms of the "football pyramid" are 5 or 6 places below us.

Now do the majority of his 98 pl games here, which have been awful. Edited by DCJonah

Mitigating factors

Bournemouth - will come looking for a scalp,  banana skin,  upsets can happen and invariably do to us it's a game where they have nothing to lose and can play with that freedom and they are on a good run of form and in terms of the "football pyramid" are 5 or 6 places below us.

I was hoping that people would wait until after the games before coming up with excuses but I guess there is nothing like getting in early!

Here is my response:

Arsenal - They are a better side than us but we have beaten them at the Emirates in recent times with a lesser squad than we currently have so there is no need to go there with a defeatist attitude. I just hope we give it a bloody good go and a point would be marvelous.

Chelsea - They are a better side than us and have probably spent more on bog roll than we have on players but their record at VP is not so good under Mourinho and we are at home so there is no need for a defeatist attitude. I just hope we give it a bloody good go and a point would be marvelous.

Bournemouth - They are in a good vein of form and top of the Championship but, like you quite rightly pointed out, they are a few places below us and we are at home so forgive me but I expect to win as we have had our fair share of 'banana skins' under Lambert and for it to continue is really unacceptable.

• Like 4

I don’t think he’ll walk away and I dread the scenario where he will get sacked because I’m sure we’d be in a very bad position before Lerner decided to act.

However I do hope the club has some sort of contingency plan. Mine would be Stuart Gray.

Tonev was around 1.5M

Bowery 200K (recouped)

Factor in Bennett £3.5m

There are 'mitigating factors' for every game. Our record against the teams around us is dismal, for example

QPR 2 - 0 Aston Villa

West Brom 1- 0 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Sunderland

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Crystal Palace

Leicester 1 - 0 Aston Villa

We've beat Leicester at home and Palace away, to throw in a bit of balance, but the record is not exactly great, is it?

Of course, there were 'mitigating factors' for those games, too.

• Like 1

Using any set of money to prove a point is just daft IMO. Guzan being signed on a free doesn't make him bad, Gill being signed for cheap doesn't mean he will have less impact on games that a more expensive player.

I don't need to look at fees and wages to know the players we have could and should be playing better as individuals and a team. The reason they're not is not because of the amount they're paid each week.

Yeah, it's daft to use money to prove a point.  It's not like the better players in World football cost more money or anything.  :detect:

Â