Paul Lambert

limpid

I would suggest the majority of managers are reserved in PCs, it is the standard cookie cutter stuff churned out by most clubs at media conferences. That being said, I think Lambert is quite positive about our club.

Bearing in mind the media can potentially twist and distort what has been said, what do you honestly want Lambert to say through the media?

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

His "keep everything in house" is one of a few things that I really respect him for.

I don't know if it's coincidence or an order, but it's been pretty much that way since Randy took over.

We're a very quiet club in that sense.

Can be frustrating at times but I think it's more of a positive than a negative.

• Like 1

I would suggest the majority of managers are reserved in PCs, it is the standard cookie cutter stuff churned out by most clubs at media conferences. That being said, I think Lambert is quite positive about our club.

Bearing in mind the media can potentially twist and distort what has been said, what do you honestly want Lambert to say through the media?

True, most managers (and players) sound very similar in post-match interviews and press conferences; I suppose it's the curse of having publicity consultants who coach much personality out of players as possible. That and the fact that the moment anyone gives an honest opinion the f.a. fines them into silence.

But I do wonder if it's a coincidence that after being booed off the pitch Lambert starts talking about how big a club Villa is. Perhaps I'm being cynical but I wonder if it's a way to get a percentage of critics off his back?

True, most managers (and players) sound very similar in post-match interviews and press conferences; I suppose it's the curse of having publicity consultants who coach much personality out of players as possible. That and the fact that the moment anyone gives an honest opinion the f.a. fines them into silence.

But I do wonder if it's a coincidence that after being booed off the pitch Lambert starts talking about how big a club Villa is. Perhaps I'm being cynical but I wonder if it's a way to get a percentage of critics off his back?

when you are on £1 mill a year you will say anything

Personally speaking, I think Lambert has a genuine affection for this club and recognises our potential. Moreover, the only way to get critics off his back would be consistently winning games, I doubt saying positive things about the club would influence a critic in the slightest.  

when you are on £1 mill a year you will say anything

I do not understand?

• Like 1

I am always very wary of a manager that seems to be happy on a miserly budget....especially when running such a potentially big club like Villa.

He consistently delivers positives, when perhaps there is a time for a bit of truth or directness, sometimes those positives can be a bit condescending or bordering on insulting to our intelligence.

sorry, but i take a more cynical view that he will say anything that is commensurate with his own survival.

don't dislike the man, because i don't know him.....just wary.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Right guys, I may get a warning for this but I posted an article on another Villa fan site, and it's about the positives of having Paul Lambert in charge, and the things he's done right.

Now I now he's split opinions between the fans, but next week I'll talk about negatives but for now here's what I think he's done well in.

http://avillafan.com/site/16800/the-pros-of-paul-lambert/

If you don't want to go to the website here's the article.

Although Aston Villa beat Blackpool in the F.A. Cup on Sunday afternoon, chants of “We want Lambert out” were ringing out from the stands. Members of the ‘Lambert out’ brigade were previously in the minority throughout his tenure, although, depending on how results went on match days, the numbers grew or decreased on a weekly basis.

It feels as if fans have now had enough of the manager and what was once a minority calling for his departure has undoubtedly become a majority.

It does seem as though Paul Lambert’s job is safe, as he is achieving the objectives set by Randy Lerner. The general aims for Aston Villa Football Club seem to be:

a) stay in the Premier League;

B) reduce all unnecessary costs.

So far, so good then…

By reducing Aston Villa Football Club to these unambitious parameters, Lerner is actually turning Villa into a ‘nothing club’ – one that exists only to make up the numbers. The passion for Villa seems to have been sucked out of the fans, as seen by the dwindling attendance figures.

Before you read any further, let me point out that I’m not a supporter of Paul Lambert. I’m a supporter of Aston Villa Football Club. This article is a mere reminder of just some of the things Lambert has gotten right or has done in a positive manner.

The point of this article is to highlight the pros of having Lambert as our manager. Next week, I’ll look at what has he done wrong.

The Positives

Paul Lambert is a decent manager, as shown by his previous jobs at Norwich and Colchester. He didn’t win back-to-back promotions by being a poor manager, no matter how good his players were. This is his first ‘big’ job; he’s always maintained that.

He showed great courage in taking the Villa job. At a time when we had just tolerated a torrid season under Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert was a choice the vast majority of fans were happy with. When Norwich beat Villa on the last day of the season, the Villa fans actually sang Lambert’s name, even though he was the Norwich manager. We have to give credit to Lambert for taking the role on in the first place, when other managers, such as Roberto Martinez, didn’t fancy the task ahead. Lambert took the job despite being told of the restraints he would be working under: bringing costs down and rebuilding the squad on the cheap. Doing all that while staying in the Premier League is a big ask.

Whenever Paul Lambert talks about Aston Villa Football Club, he is respectful. Lambert is aware of the history and the heritage of the club and speaks highly of Aston Villa.

During his time in charge, the Villans have had some great results against the so-called ‘bigger’ clubs. Wins against Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool have been excellent and it’s down to Lambert to organise the team and set the players up tactically to win these games. Time and time again, when the Villa boys have been up against these teams, they’ve been underdogs but, on the day, a little bit of luck combined with hard work has brought us some memorable wins.

Being a manager isn’t just about tactics and formations, as man management is also a big factor. In terms of man management, I think Lambert is actually really good. The whole Benteke transfer request saga was squashed in one afternoon when Benteke returned to B6 to hold talks with Lambert. The support offered to, and faith shown in, players like Fabian Delph has enabled them to blossom into very good players so it shows Lambert’s able to get into the heads of players and motivate them.

Despite not having a big war chest, Paul Lambert has shown he has an eye for a good transfer. The signing of Christian Benteke has been an excellent one. He has the potential to be world class and shows signs of it now. At times, when he was getting used to the league, people referred to him as a ‘donkey’ and ‘Heskey II’.

The signings of Okore, Westwood, Sanchez, Vlaar, Cissokho and Bacuna, along with the re-signing of Brad Guzan, have been great ones, especially since he bought them all for less than £15 million. Most fans will agree that he’s done pretty well in the transfer market. of course, not all his transfers have been hits but for the money spent I think he has found real value. It would have been really interesting to see how well he would have done if he had been given more money. Some of the players he’s reportedly been after – Coutinho, Tadic, Sissoko, Popov and Belhanda to name but a few – would have completed our team and maybe things would have panned out differently.

Since Lambert’s been here, he’s never had a smooth ride, having his back room staff relieved of their duties because of alleged bullying, his players enduring long term or unlucky injuries and with his boss not even remotely interested in his own club at times. Paul Lambert’s had to endure it all and keep going. I don’t think Lambert is a man to quit: he’ll have to be pushed to leave. Otherwise, he’ll stick it out and try and do his best for the club.

This season has been a mixed bag so far. We had the best start this club has had in over fifty years. We kept clean sheets and scored a few goals but then a ridiculously hard run of fixtures against the top clubs really had us plummeting back down to earth. With Lambert then introducing a new passing style of play, it’s not been the best of seasons so far. As the players struggle to score goals, the fans haven’t been entertained and many feel that although we are topping the possession statistics we aren’t creating enough chances or having sufficient shots on target to harm opponents.

The reality is that in the last ten games the Villans have only lost twice, proving that they’re becoming harder to beat. However, in those ten games they’ve only won three times, which shows how difficult it is to adapt to a new playing style during the season.

By becoming harder to defeat, we’ve forfeited some of our attacking intent and ability and that is something Lambert has to address by finding the balance. We now have to be very patient but the fact we can’t even register shots on target, let alone create chances, for long periods in the game is what gets on the fans’ nerves.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, there you have it: there are some pros about having Lambert in charge. He’s not the worst manager in the league by any stretch of the imagination; he’s certainly not the best either.

Next week, I’ll be going through the negatives of having Paul Lambert in charge – and I know you will want to read that piece.

• Like 1

I am always very wary of a manager that seems to be happy on a miserly budget....especially when running such a potentially big club like Villa.

He consistently delivers positives, when perhaps there is a time for a bit of truth or directness, sometimes those positives can be a bit condescending or bordering on insulting to our intelligence.

sorry, but i take a more cynical view that he will say anything that is commensurate with his own survival.

It would be silly to assume that Lambert is happy with a small budget, I doubt any manager would be content with poor funding. But unfortunately that is a matter out of Lambert's control, it would be pointless and defeatist to hear him constantly moan through the media about those unavoidable circumstances.

What is the best way to deal with a lack of funds and a pressure to trim the wage bill? I suppose it is a case of managing the situation. From my view, Lambert is trying to be positive and creative with these difficult circumstances. Then again, who is to say Lambert is not critically constructive in private but protective in public?

Furthermore, I take it you prefer O'Leary's or McLeish's constant referrals to the budget and wage bill? I found that their direct truth was defeatist and insulting to our intelligence more than anything Lambert has ever uttered about our club.

I am confused by your "cynical" perspective. You have suggested Lambert is motivated purely by money to say the positive things about the club, but now you are saying it is to do with his own survival.  Which is it?

I know where you're coming from and I've often wondered about it but he has actually had a bit of a moan about the budgets now and again. Not enough to get the owner's back up, but enough to make sure that everyone knows he's not happy at having to work under such tight financial constraints. I think the reason he's not spouting off about it every 5 minutes is because he understands why we're thrifty and if he wants to stay in a job at a big name in the premier league that's how it's going to be.

Hate to piss on your chips and attempts to be funny @Kingman but that is actually from CNN UK. Try harder. ;)

You couldn't piss on my chips on you're best day, but thanks for the kind response.

Personally speaking, I think Lambert has a genuine affection for this club and recognises our potential. Moreover, the only way to get critics off his back would be consistently winning games, I doubt saying positive things about the club would influence a critic in the slightest.  

Perhaps not get off his back, then. But there have been times when I, a Lambert critic, have listened furiously to his press conferences only to hear him talk about villa being a big club, and I've thought "alright, let's see what that idiot Lambert has to say... oh look, he's saying what a big club we are! Wow, what a great thing to say, that Lambert sure is a nice... hey, wait a minute!"

Moreover, the only way to get critics off his back would be consistently winning games,

Exactly this but we have been anything but consistent under Lambert

Like Bruce Forsyth used to say on Play your cards right

"What do points make Prizes!!!"

If he is not happy surely it would be time to do a Pardew!  Or maybe he is just not good enough to make that move, though im sure he is happy enough with his million quid a season. He would not get paid that kind of salary anywhere else at the moment, so unfortunately he is stuck with us an we are stuck with him.

There is no repsect with him staying here, he really is not doing the majority of the fans any favours, we owe him nothing, though he stil owes us after nearly 3 seasons that consistant performance.

Â