Paul Lambert

limpid

Maybe Pep told him that the 'backs to the wall hoofball' tactic went out with the dinosaurs and that actually football was meant to be more about keeping the ball on the ground (hence the word FOOTball) and that having the ball in your possession was far better than giving it to the opposition.

When he goes back to Germany for his next lesson Pep will show him how to score a goal.

• Like 4

havent read the last couple of pages yet but all the fans in the mail over last couple of days saying it isnt lamberts fault as his hands are tied for wages and transfer fees, wait till we get schooled by bournemouth at home by players on less wages who cost less.

its a myth about the wages and fees when the whistle blows, its about giving people the direction or opportunity to play good football. lambert thinks tactics are a brand of breath mint

Hey there, you don't happen to have the National Lottery numbers for tomorrows draw, do ya?

See, what you've done there is nothing more than what is your interpretation of events in the future you think may happen.

I like to hedge my bets by saying "against Bournemouth we could win, lose or draw" - then I've covered all three eventualities. 

That said, I bet you haven't put money on your prediction, but if you did, you'd stand to win considerably more than what you'd initially laid out.

touche - alas i dont, but if i did win id be investing it into the club and bringing ray wilkins into the fold to get some crispness into our sideways passing.

ive only seen bournemouth on the box however they do pass it about and in directions other than sideways. lambert saying we're now a possession team will be interesting against another team that pass it about and i would wager they will pass it about more than we do in the opposing third. i could coach cleverly et al to pass the ball around the half way line and i wouldnt say we were excellent if they did. id rather lambert said i dont really know what im trying to get them to do but you're stuck with me, than him saying i dont know why you are booing me as we have possession. 

• Like 1

i think Pep knew luiz enrique had fallen out with messi and co and said to lambert if you get them rolling the ball out from the you may be in with a chance of getting the gig. just say you know me.

Now a bit of tweeking, a settled team and one or two additions in the window and for me we are at last headed in the right direction. Although we are clearly in the frustrating stage of the process at the moment!

I think this is a phase (or at least many have thought we were in that kind of phase) we've been in at least twice under Lambert. The first instance was the end of his first season when we won Stoke, Norwich, Sunderland 6-1 and being much better than Chelsea and just losing (a man down). That phase continued in the beginning of his second season but then it all fell apart. Many of us thought that we were at last heading in the right direction and finally found a formation that worked that only needed a few better players and we'd be in a good place.

The second time was just last year when we  hammered Norwich and won Chelsea at home. People (me included) were saying that we had finally found a working midfield (Westwood, El Ahmadi and Delph) after much frustration. Then we all know what happened; we just narrowly avoided relegation in the end.

Now we're not even showing any progress at all! We've not had a good run of results since the very beginning of the season. We've being playing some of the dullest football seen at Villa Park (there has been plenty of competition in the past seasons, but I think we've outdone ourselves now). For me Lambert will need to show more than a good game or two, he needs to put together a team that can get decent results for more than one or two games. I'm at least not going to believe that we are heading in remotely the right direction until something more than that happens.

• Like 2

havent read the last couple of pages yet but all the fans in the mail over last couple of days saying it isnt lamberts fault as his hands are tied for wages and transfer fees, wait till we get schooled by bournemouth at home by players on less wages who cost less.

its a myth about the wages and fees when the whistle blows, its about giving people the direction or opportunity to play good football. lambert thinks tactics are a brand of breath mint

Hey there, you don't happen to have the National Lottery numbers for tomorrows draw, do ya?

See, what you've done there is nothing more than what is your interpretation of events in the future you think may happen.

I like to hedge my bets by saying "against Bournemouth we could win, lose or draw" - then I've covered all three eventualities. 

That said, I bet you haven't put money on your prediction, but if you did, you'd stand to win considerably more than what you'd initially laid out.

touche - alas i dont, but if i did win id be investing it into the club and bringing ray wilkins into the fold to get some crispness into our sideways passing.

ive only seen bournemouth on the box however they do pass it about and in directions other than sideways. lambert saying we're now a possession team will be interesting against another team that pass it about and i would wager they will pass it about more than we do in the opposing third. i could coach cleverly et al to pass the ball around the half way line and i wouldnt say we were excellent if they did. id rather lambert said i dont really know what im trying to get them to do but you're stuck with me, than him saying i dont know why you are booing me as we have possession. 

We pass it around more in the final third than in our own defensive third.

65% of our passes were forward in our last game (for which I can find the stats (vs Palace)). 63% vs Sunderland. 62% vs Swansea

For comparison, Bournemouth have only managed a higher percentage of forward passes in one of their past five games (for which the stats are available).

60-63% appears to be what they usually get.

This myth of sideways passing isn't the problem. All teams pass it sideways, especially those relying on possession based football.

The problem is the passes we do make forward don't create anything.

• Like 2

I think he needs to pay attention to coaching game management.  Our players seem sort of "clueless"(?) when it comes to what do if we're under pressure, we're attacking or trying to speed up/slow down the game to our advantage.

You see top teams like Chelsea absorbing pressure, but then they'll give it to Hazard who will draw a foul and what'dya know?  They got a free kick in the middle of the pitch which they will then just slow the game down and play to their own tempo for a bit.

We don't seem to have that little bit of nous to speed a game up or slow it down, we just seem constant.  We only really change pace when we've gone 1-0 or 1-0 down and we obviously speed up 1 down or slow down to a crawling pace at 1 up.

I just think if our players had that ability to say "right, next 10 minutes, we're going to take the game to them" - even if we're 1-0 up, we'd be a much better team.

I think that sort of thinking comes from senior players, so getting in another Barry or Merson type player would be most welcome.  As it is, I like that Joe Cole seems to bring that little bit of seniority to the pitch and can tell team mates to calm down a bit or "come on, let's get going".

• Like 1

We pass it around more in the final third than in our own defensive third.

65% of our passes were forward in our last game (for which I can find the stats (vs Palace)). 63% vs Sunderland. 62% vs Swansea

For comparison, Bournemouth have only managed a higher percentage of forward passes in one of their past five games (for which the stats are available).

60-63% appears to be what they usually get.

This myth of sideways passing isn't the problem. All teams pass it sideways, especially those relying on possession based football.

The problem is the passes we do make forward don't create anything.

I look forward to reading the same post in 2 pages time and 2 pages after that too as people constantly moan about "sideways football".

Maybe Pep told him that the 'backs to the wall hoofball' tactic went out with the dinosaurs and that actually football was meant to be more about keeping the ball on the ground (hence the word FOOTball) and that having the ball in your possession was far better than giving it to the opposition.

When he goes back to Germany for his next lesson Pep will show him how to score a goal.

Hilarious. 

Question: Do you think this new tactic will work well against the top 10 sides or so who may actually set out to attack us... keeping the ball may frustrate them and we can then exploit the space? so far we'v eonly played it against weaker opposition...

that said the top  teams are there for a reason...

I think we need to move the ball quickly from defense to attack and then play short passes between the attacking players rather than short passes through the team...

Did it work against swansea ?

Thought that - out of our recent games - we actually looked best against Swansea (and the United game 2bf) in that I believe we had up to 2/3 shots on target. Impressive stuff....

If we're going to play the passing game then I think we shouldn't do it half measures but go all out for it, we shouldn't decide we're scared of the ball just because we're playing a decent team, we need to be brave. Swansea in their first season showed that it can work against the rich clubs.

I agree with all of that.

But then again, as I've said before, is there anyone really outstanding, who you could say will definitely do better?

And with the evidence of a shockingly downward trend in spending, what half decent upward trending manager (see Howes), is going to come to a "big club" like villa only to have bugger all to spend and end up sacked with a worse reputation than he came here with - we've all said managers never really go on to better things when they've left villa, and I don't think that will change for the foreseeable future to be honest.

We're in a complete state of limbo - because of Lerner. 

Edited by lapal_fan

Houllier also got £24 million to buy a top player, Lambert wont get that

I wouldn't trust Lambert with the remote to the telly!

I'm sure if you gave him the chance he would pick a cracking movie for you too watch.

FALLING DOWN

maybe?

I agree with a lot of what is said in that.

Not sure why Lambert was surprised that paying customers were giving him some grief.

Maybe it was something to do with the team failing to win in 14 of the last 17 games!

Maybe it was something to do with him having a net spend of more than 11 of the current premier league teams since he joined but the team still being awful!

Maybe it was something to do with the team show little progress 2 and a half years on!

Maybe it was something to do with 10 of the last 17 games where we haven't managed even 1 goal!

Maybe it was something to do with only managing to score 2 or more on one occasion in the last 17 games!

Maybe the majority of the fans think someone else can do better!

Lambert out.

• Like 1

After 2 and a half years though? It's a pretty big change. A change that I think will take at least 2 or 3 months to be effective. A good change I agree but it just seems to have come out of the blue. 

I think the change has been season long, but two stages.

First stage seemed to be to imrpove the defence, and then build from there by implementing a passing game.

Why he chose now to go from defensive counter attacking to possession, I don't know. My guess would be the favourable fixtures we've had recently. Maybe he felt it best to weather our hard run and then attack the passing?

Whether this has been his plan all along, who knows?

Well he certainly missjudged the timing.

Sun 7 16:00 H Leicester City PREM W 2-1

Sat 13 15:00 A West Bromwich Albion PREM L 1-0

Sat 20 15:00 H Manchester United PREM D 1-1

Fri 26 15:00 A Swansea City PREM L 1-0

Sun 28 15:00 H Sunderland PREM D 0-0 35,436

January 2015

Thu 1 15:00 H Crystal Palace PREM D 0-0 29,047 

6pts

should have got 12pts

Edited by Grasshopper

hope so

After 2 and a half years though? It's a pretty big change. A change that I think will take at least 2 or 3 months to be effective. A good change I agree but it just seems to have come out of the blue.

I think the change has been season long, but two stages.

First stage seemed to be to imrpove the defence, and then build from there by implementing a passing game.

Why he chose now to go from defensive counter attacking to possession, I don't know. My guess would be the favourable fixtures we've had recently. Maybe he felt it best to weather our hard run and then attack the passing?

Whether this has been his plan all along, who knows?

Well he certainly missjudged the timing.

Sun 7 16:00 H Leicester City PREM W 2-1

Sat 13 15:00 A West Bromwich Albion PREM L 1-0

Sat 20 15:00 H Manchester United PREM D 1-1

Fri 26 15:00 A Swansea City PREM L 1-0

Sun 28 15:00 H Sunderland PREM D 0-0 35,436

January 2015

Thu 1 15:00 H Crystal Palace PREM D 0-0 29,047

6pts

should have got 12pts

You kind of missed the point I think.

The point was it would be easier to implement a new style against "easier" opponents.

The points we got from those games were pretty much irrelevant to what I was talking about.

Â