Paul Lambert

limpid

I really wish you'd give up this net transfer spend argument, it's totally useless, and actively unhelpful in understanding finances. 

Let's say there are two clubs. One lets Fabian Delph leave for a free, and then signs Tom Cleverley for £8m. Another sells Aguero for £50m and buys Suarez for £58m. In your model, these two football clubs should be considered to be equal in terms of ability. 

You cannot understand the value of a business by looking only at its trading activity, while specifically ignoring the value of its assets. It's absurd.

To start off with:

Club A: Has Delph

Club B: Has Aguero

Therefore to start off with Club B is ALREADY in a superior position than club A as it ALREADY has a superior and more valuable player.

Both teams then, in your example, increase their net transfer spend by £8m. The final outcome is club A is still superior therefore totally logical!

You do realise that you're now posting against... yourself, right? :D

I'd love to see the same as Burnley, but with Benteke in instead of Gabby.

You just know that won't happen though. Gabby will be shoehorned into the attack, probably at the expense of Cole. Which will be annoying.

If Cole is dropped for any other reason than fitness then I will be hugely disappointed. 

Me too.

Would you bet any money on it not happening? :)

You just know that won't happen though. Gabby will be shoehorned into the attack, probably at the expense of Cole. Which will be annoying.

If Cole is dropped for any other reason than fitness then I will be hugely disappointed. 

Me too.

He's got to stick with Cole.  Absolutely has to.

Play Cole behind Gabby and Benteke.

Sensible when the team has been stripped to its bare bones prior to the arrival of the current manager. Any additional sales would only have meant an even smaller playing squad with even less quality to choose from. Like people have said, plenty of sticks to beat Lambert with, this isn't one of them.

Was it really stripped to the bare bones? You could argue Lambert's involvement in the bomb squad meant that many players values were vastly reduced when that was created.

Regardless he took a team that was 16th (under Mcleish) and that wasn't deemed good enough.

From that point only 8 teams have a net spend higher and we're often as bad as we were under Mcleish IMO.

Other managers have also managed to develop players and sell them on at a profit in order to then strengthen the squad. Who are the players Lambert has made a profit on?

He hasn't sold anyone of any note though yet has he? 

If if we put the following up for sale in Jan, I would argue we would make a profit on every one of them;

Benteke

Vlaar (even with 6 months left)

Westwood 

Senderos

Richardson 

Cissokho

his other 'big money' signings (Okore and Kozak) have suffered long term injuries, so hard to say how this would have gone. 

plus I would argue that Weimann and Baker are worth more than when he arrived and I'm sure someone would pay a few quid for Grealish (who our awful manager convinced to sign a deal, despite alleged interest from 'big clubs') 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 4

Me too.

Personally I'd have him behind Benteke and Weimann. Weimann's movement is better than Gabbys. Not by much mind. 

• Like 1

Me too.

Personally I'd have him behind Benteke and Weimann. Weimann's movement is better than Gabbys. Not by much mind. 

Either way, I'd like to see it happen.

It won't, though :(

Win / win situation tonight. Win and it's three much needed and unlikely points. Lose and it's got to be goodbye to the most detested manager of my life time

And, if i'm honest if the latter was guaranteed to happen i'd take a defeat right now. Anything to get that appalling stench out of Villa Park

Tomorrow could be the start of a bright new era, i'd even welcome back Eck short term if needs be

Don't trip over your bag of excuses on your way out Paul

Edited by Ulver
  • Like 2

Win / win situation tonight. Win and it's three much needed and unlikely points. Lose and it's got to be goodbye to the most detested manager of my life time

And, if i'm honest if the latter was guaranteed to happen i'd take a defeat right now. Anything to get that appalling stench out of Villa Park

Tomorrow could be the start of a bright new era, i'd even welcome back Eck short term if needs be

Replace a stench with a stench!  :o

So full of anger! Chill your boots!

I can't see him going if we lose tonight. Might just be my pessimism.

Randy knows if Paul goes before January, a new gaffer would want/need funds to bring in a team he and the fans want to see.

But if it were guaranteed that Paul would get the boot if we lost tonight, I think I'd take that.

I can't see him going if we lose tonight. Might just be my pessimism.

Randy knows if Paul goes before January, a new gaffer would want/need funds to bring in a team he and the fans want to see.

But if it were guaranteed that Paul would get the boot if we lost tonight, I think I'd take that.

Hate to say it but so would I.

Can't comprehend how people consider themselves supporters while hoping for us to lose despite whatever the state of the club may be. This thread just keeps on serving up absolute tripe.

It's called short term pain for long term gain. Under Lambert we are quite likely to lose many more games. We have lost quite a few already so one more, in the grand scheme of things, is not going to make a lot of difference. By the way, get off your 'I am a better fan than you' box before you fall. I have been supporting Villa for a long time and even went when they were in division 3 so I don't like being branded by the likes of you.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 3

For me it's for the greater good. We all hope for a change in playing style and results but I don't believe it will happen under Lambert. We drop three points and possibly change the manager and our long term chances, or we beat Crystal Palace 1-0 and struggle in around 16th.

Believe me, I hate seeing Villa lose. I'm fed up with it, that's why I want a change.

Can't comprehend how people consider themselves supporters while hoping for us to lose despite whatever the state of the club may be. This thread just keeps on serving up absolute tripe.

It's that "bigger picture" ya know

For me it's for the greater good. We all hope for a change in playing style and results but I don't believe it will happen under Lambert. We drop three points and possibly change the manager and our long term chances, or we beat Crystal Palace 1-0 and struggle in around 16th.

Believe me, I hate seeing Villa lose. I'm fed up with it, that's why I want a change.

We will probably dig a result out, thats what normally happens with Lambert. We are utter bollocks week in week out and then he manages to scrape a couple of wins out of nowhere, everyone thinks we have turned a corner then we go on another sequence of bollocks results before he scrapes another couple of wins together.

We will probably dig a result out, thats what normally happens with Lambert. We are utter bollocks week in week out and then he manages to scrape a couple of wins out of nowhere, everyone thinks we have turned a corner then we go on another sequence of bollocks results before he scrapes another couple of wins together.

What you mean "we go again"!

It's called short term pain for long term gain. Under Lambert we are quite likely to lose many more games. We have lost quite a few already so one more, in the grand scheme of things, is not going to make a lot of difference. By the way, get off your 'I am a better fan than you' box before you fall. I have been supporting Villa for a long time and even went when they were in division 3 so I don't like being branded by the likes of you.
Lol ye I think I'm a better supporter of Villa because I want us to win tonight and you want us to lose. How far fetched and rightous of me...

Â