Paul Lambert

limpid

Thing is, Cabbage had the last laugh there. Dion made no actual contact, Cabbage threw himself down, Dion got sent off. I wish Dion had at least given the word removed a black eye or broken nose.

Some stats can be misleading but these really aren't. Last two seasons were terrible, look at the stats they back this up. This season performances in passing/shooting/attacking have been poor as well the only difference is we aren't leaking goals. Now if you want to put a bunch of defensive stats up there we will look great compared to the last two seasons.

I always look at performances over results because it will tell you where we will end up long term. Lots of people got blinded by results last year against Southampton and Man City and they were very fortunate. We have had a great start to the season results wise but overall I haven't been impressed with the performances at all. Defence is a huge bonus but I dont turn out to watch us grind out 0-0s, Lerner will see this as progression but I don't, maybe I expect too much or maybe I just don't value us staying in the league as much anymore. I want to see us attack or play some exciting football and at least give things a go, I will be in the minority here but frankly last season was so boring Id happily have had us gone down if it meant a huge change of manager/style/performances.

The only time we have played well from an attack point of view this season is Hull first half. The thing that annoys me is we have the players now to play a better way than this so time will tell if we change style but it doesn't look like it. Pray Benteke comes back and creates stuff on his own looks like our best attacking option. 

• Like 2

More Wibble about stats from Gobby Cabbage on the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29262223

He's hilarious. I particularly liked the last bit, after a reasonably good little ramble about why playing such awful football works oh so well for us:

I want to get one thing straight - I have not tipped this Villa side to go down.

Before a ball was kicked this season, I looked at who they had signed, which at that stage was Philippe Senderos, Joe Cole and Kieran Richardson, and, with Christian Benteke out with a long-term injury, I thought they would end up in the bottom three.

But after the transfer window had closed, when the likes of Tom Cleverley and Carlos Sanchez had been brought in, I tipped them to finish 15th.

Was reading that this morning, love his disclaimer. Way to try and cover your ass Gobby.

Lack of attacking impetus aside I think our performances have been pretty decent overall.

Results have been excellent, performances have not been good apart from one half in one game.

We may not have as many points, which is, of course, the main thing, but the start last season was better in terms of performance, in my opinion.

Lack of attacking impetus aside I think our performances have been pretty decent overall.

Results have been excellent, performances have not been good apart from one half in one game.

We may not have as many points, which is, of course, the main thing, but the start last season was better in terms of performance, in my opinion.

I'm not a huge advocate of Lambert but I actually thought the performance against Liverpool was very good. Yes we sat back but we were disciplined. Unlike previous yrs where we hung on for results, Liverpool never looked like scoring apart from a wonder goal (like when they hit the post).

Defense and midfield are miles better than this time last year, and attack is missing Benteke who got off to a hot start.

More Wibble about stats from Gobby Cabbage on the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29262223

Hilarious. The butthurt is strong in Savage.

Oh, and comparing stats from an ENTIRE season with 4 games is utterly redundant. The only stats that matter are 3 clean sheets out of 4 and 10 points.

Yeah the biggest difference is how solid we are and how little shots weve conceded, it's not rocket science. Well I guess it is to a moron.

I think our attack will follow. You build from the back. The midfield and attack will get better especially when Benteke returns... he holds up the ball well.. collects the ball from midfield and links up our play. He frees up space for Wiemann and Gabby. The fact that their scoring without him there is great for their confidence. Paul has actually quite a decent squad imo. We have options on the bench. At full strength we will be leaving quality players out of the starting 11 and then bench. When was the last time we had that.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

Good teams are build on defense. Our problem they other years have been to leak goals. We had a hard time holding on too leads.

As mentioned before this year we have had early leads to protect, that makes a difference. Also we know we are not going to win the league, so in a lot of games 1 point is a good result until we get to 40. Better not to get beat, than win in our situation. Not pretty but keeps the club moving forward.

I too have seen all our games and we only lacked a cutting edge in the Newcastle game. In the other games we have had really strong spells. Against Hull we should have been 3/4-0 in the first half. Against pool 2-0 would not have been unjust in the first 15. In all we are looking good so far, long may it continue.

• Like 1

Some stats can be misleading but these really aren't. Last two seasons were terrible, look at the stats they back this up. This season performances in passing/shooting/attacking have been poor as well the only difference is we aren't leaking goals. Now if you want to put a bunch of defensive stats up there we will look great compared to the last two seasons.

I always look at performances over results because it will tell you where we will end up long term. Lots of people got blinded by results last year against Southampton and Man City and they were very fortunate. We have had a great start to the season results wise but overall I haven't been impressed with the performances at all. Defence is a huge bonus but I dont turn out to watch us grind out 0-0s, Lerner will see this as progression but I don't, maybe I expect too much or maybe I just don't value us staying in the league as much anymore. I want to see us attack or play some exciting football and at least give things a go, I will be in the minority here but frankly last season was so boring Id happily have had us gone down if it meant a huge change of manager/style/performances.

The only time we have played well from an attack point of view this season is Hull first half. The thing that annoys me is we have the players now to play a better way than this so time will tell if we change style but it doesn't look like it. Pray Benteke comes back and creates stuff on his own looks like our best attacking option.

When you're mid-table, you look at performances.

When you're second, you look at results!

• Like 1

Â