Paul Lambert

limpid

He's done well on a very tight budget and if we can play like the 1st half against Hull then he has a chance of turning it around. If the home form continues like the Newcastle game then I fear the attendances we plummet further which I really don't want to see happen.

Villa Park is a great stadium when it's full but due to the dire football played under him it now looks empty. The fans base is still there though and I'm sure they will come back once they know they will be entertained while getting some value for money.

Also worth a mention is Roy Keane who seems to have taken some of the pressure off his shoulders, he must be feeling better not having to deal with 2 coaches creating headaches for him to deal with.

I thought he was dead and buried after the last game of season. It looked like he and players thought that too.

So I'm happy to hold my hands up and say congrats to him on what has been a positive summer in very difficult circumstances.

No doubt it is still going to be a long tough season and I am sure at a few points we will still be looking over our shoulder. But right now I am optimistic that this season will be better than the last and bearing in mind the context of our chairman I would very happily take that right now.

He hasn't had it easy, you only have to look at what other managers have spent to see.

BUT he has made a lot of mistakes, we have played some really really bad football, had terrible results - yes the lack of spending hasn't helped, but he hasn't made the job easy for himself.

I backed him for most of last year, it was only the run at the end of the season that made me question him. We really need to see a lot more from the team over the next few months.

• Like 2

He lost me last season mainly down to boring tactics and zero plan B. he has got a lot to make up for, even if we improve this season will it be down to Keane kicking some ass or Lambert improving I really don't know. When we have benteke and/or Kozak back and fully fit, with the team we have now and how we have started there should be no excuses to be down the bottom fighting relegation end of season. If we still are it'll defo be bye bye Lambert for me!!

If we manage to not improve this season, will you be putting it down to Keane or will you put the blame on Lambert? I wonder.

• Like 1

He hasn't had it easy, you only have to look at what other managers have spent to see.

BUT he has made a lot of mistakes, we have played some really really bad football, had terrible results - yes the lack of spending hasn't helped, but he hasn't made the job easy for himself.

I backed him for most of last year, it was only the run at the end of the season that made me question him. We really need to see a lot more from the team over the next few months.

He's definitely made mistakes, no doubt about it. And he's had some awfully bad runs and the football we played last season was too many times really bad. And I too had my doubts about him from time to time last season. But under the circumstances I think he's done a decent job to keep us up and he's still learning in many ways. Not to forget that he seemingly had two guys beside him who worked against him in Karsa and Culverhouse. I hope he's the kind of manager who learns from his mistakes and that the partnership with Keane will improve him and us. If so we might have a little gem here. I know some won't be even close to agree with this, but I don't care. If I'm right it means success for Villa.

• Like 2

I think it's impossible to deny he's done a good job given the circumstances and looking at the facts. I guess some fans (myself included) sometimes forget the facts and want to be entertained, and I guess this is where the group of fans calling for his are coming from.

I have no problems with Lambert at all other than the style of football we play. If we can improve that this season then it could be a fantastic year for him really. But that remains to be seen. I don't want us to play like Barcelona, but Iwould defintely like to see an improvement in possesion based football. 

I've also in the past criticised Lambert for not addressing the gaping holes in our squad with not having players who can play between the lines (DM, AMC). He's brought in Sanchez and part of me is hoping Lambert is eyeing up Cleverley to play in a more advanced role, as this would really benefit us. So if that's the case, then I'm relatively happy.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

He's definitely made mistakes, no doubt about it. And he's had some awfully bad runs and the football we played last season was too many times really bad. And I too had my doubts about him from time to time last season. But under the circumstances I think he's done a decent job to keep us up and he's still learning in many ways. Not to forget that he seemingly had two guys beside him who worked against him in Karsa and Culverhouse. I hope he's the kind of manager who learns from his mistakes and that the partnership with Keane will improve him and us. If so we might have a little gem here. I know some won't be even close to agree with this, but I don't care. If I'm right it means success for Villa.

I certainly hope so.

Still not happy with the cup results under him if i'm honest but still we have made a good start in the PL so i'll give him credit for that.

Providing we completely avoid relegation or flirting with relegation, it would be a decent season for me after the previous few seasons.

When will he be given a new contract? Would just like a bit if stability confirmed now...cannot be assed with another manager change and I think he deserves another contract based on this summer and start to the current season alone. Definite signs of progress.

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

When will he be given a new contract? Would just like a bit if stability confirmed now...cannot be assed with another manager change and I think he deserves another contract based on this summer and start to the current season alone. Definite signs of progress.

I reckon it will be looked at in the early new year depending on whether the club is looking like being sold, and how well the club are doing. If we are looking fairly solid still and not flirting around the relegation zone, and no sign of buyers then I think he will get a new 2 year deal. Whether he would sign it is another matter? He may have had enough of the stress by then, and if doing well may have other offers coming in.

Think he's done an excellent job this summer. With really poor backing from the owner he has built a squad that should see us improve on the last couple of years.

Was it though?

If we had £8M to spend on Cleverly then I see no other way to interpret this than the fact that there was money there, don't know how much but at least another £8M, but it just wasn't spent.

Even with that money, we were still outspent by the majority of teams.

I think lamberts done well this summer, shipping out poor players and adding some quality. We're much better off then we've been for a long time.

We started last season very well too. I'll wait to see how we fare a bit further into the season before I'll sing his praises.

And as for replacing Lambert - I don't see why not as long as it was a better manager. It would be like refusing Messi because we wanted stability with Bannan.

And as for replacing Lambert - I don't see why not as long as it was a better manager. It would be like refusing Messi because we wanted stability with Bannan.

Only the managerial equivalent of Messi wouldn't touch us with a barge pole and the managerial equivalent of Bannan would have had us relegated.

We've been outspent by Burnley in this last window and could be sold to an owner with his own preferences for staff at any point without warning.

I really have no idea why anyone would think we'd have a chance of attracting a non-desperate new manager at this point.

• Like 1

Only the managerial equivalent of Messi wouldn't touch us with a barge pole and the managerial equivalent of Bannan would have had us relegated.

We've been outspent by Burnley in this last window and could be sold to an owner with his own preferences for staff at any point without warning.

I really have no idea why anyone would think we'd have a chance of attracting a non-desperate new manager at this point.

Because I'm not only talking about "this point".

If we get taken over by a mega-rich new owner who could afford the very best managers in the world ......

....would you still keep Lambert?

I realise it's a big if - hence the reason I qualified the conditions on replacing Lambert in the first place.

Because I'm not only talking about "this point".

If we get taken over by a mega-rich new owner who could afford the very best managers in the world ...

...would you still keep Lambert?

Well you were responding to a guy asking about Lambert getting an extension so I assumed you were against that idea at "this point".

If we get taken over by a mega-rich new owner who could afford the very best managers in the world then paying off Lambert's contract would be no problem, surely.

I don't think it would be prudent to let our manager's contract expire because we wouldn't want him here with near unlimited resources.

Most of our squad would be surplus to requirements as well if a mega-rich new owner who could afford the very best players bought Villa.

Â